Smashbox The Makeup Room

4.1

on 3/28/2005 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is ok imo. It has three standard shimmery eyeshadows (a beige, a brown, and a purple). I like the beige one. I love the lipgloss's texture, but the colors are too dark for my taste, I like lighter lipcolors. It also has brushes, I don't recommend the blush brush, it is too small. The rest are fine.

on 7/25/2004 9:13:00 PM

At SF CostCo for 25$. RUN to your CostCo to get this set.
Ok, so the brushes aren't the best--I'd take my MAC anyday--but you could toss them and the set would still be worth it. The Smashbox liquid liner I *love* (I've already used a fullsize caviar (black)) and the plummy shade looks great on me too! I never would have thought to try it. The blush is great quality--the e/s are top quality.
This beautiful box is sitting on a shelf in my boyfriend's apartment--it's so classy, looks like a black book, he doesn't even mind it--along with some mascara and foundation (which also fit in the box) its all you would need to pull together any look.
Update: I'm actually growing to love the brushes. Though spoiled by my MAC angled brush, the liner brush works fine. These brushes would be great for travelling. I've given away three of these boxes now, and everyone loves them. I am now using mine every day. continued >>

on 7/22/2004 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Picked this up at Costco this past weekend for $26! It's a great way to get a sampling of their products. The colors are mainly neutral plums and browns, so you'll find a way to make them work. The other reviews did a pretty thorough job of describing the packaging, so I'll leave that out. I had to knock a couple of points off, however, for the design of the brushes that come with it. The eyeshadow brush seems to pop off the handle every time. Still, a great deal for the price.

on 5/29/2004 1:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a very good starters set but the convertible brush is where the points are off. The bristles are very coarse and almost hurt when I apply it. The makeup itself though is very good so I just apply them with my own brushes. The blush is nice but there's nothing really special about it. The eyeshadows are very good and are in very neural shades that look good on everyone. The cream eyeliner duo is great and will probably last a lifetime and the lip duo is okay. The darker shade was too dark for my liking but the lighter one was very nice. Another thing I didn't like was the packaging ( a flip-top box with a foamboard shelf with cutouts for the brush ) and although I did like the large mirror, it wouldn't stand up properly because the ribbon holding the top to the box came off. Makeup-wise, this is great and that would be the only reason I'd buy this.

on 3/29/2004 12:21:00 PM

I won this palette thru Allures giveaway!! It is the first time I have used Smashbox, and I really like it. The colors are wonderful and very wearable. The E/S have staying power and remind me of my MAC, Nars and Stila E/Ss.

I have a "thing" for Nars, and this palette is ranking up there with my Nars stuff. Great work Smashbox!! And huge props to Allure as well.

on 1/19/2004 11:26:00 AM

You know when you buy a palette or set of products there are always a few you just never use and it bugs the hell out of ya?! Well NOT SO with this little lot! The colours don't exactly *grab* you on first look but they are all really wearable shades for me. You get a blush,(Snap, slightly browned dusky pink) 3 e/s(Prep, Strike and Wrap, plum, golden taupe and golden brown.) a lip brilliance duo (Smashing Exposure,YLBB and a dark caramel) a cream liner (Black /Dark Mauve) and a convertible brush which is a bit of a lu lu but not BAD or anything! All you need is base and mascara and you're all done!

Like I said Not Exciting but deffo worth the dosh!

on 1/7/2004 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love this set! The e/s colors are beautiful!!!! It comes with 3 full sized e/s colors, a blush, a cream e/l duo, a l/g duo, a lipliner, a mini brush set. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the brush set but I didn't buy it for that. I would definately get this again if I ever ran out.

on 12/17/2003 7:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is really cute. It comes in a nice black Smasbox box, kind of like a jewlery box.

Inside there are interchangeable make-up brushes, a lipgloss pot that contains two shades, three eye shadows, a blush, and an eyeliner pot that contains two colors.

The blush is a mauve based nude great, with a slight touch of brown to it. The glosses are nice, one side is a berry color, and the other is a brown. The shadows are great for a 'natural' look. The liners are okay, I'm not so fond of the Caviar Liners overall because they tend to smear on me, but the colors are pretty.

I'm very pleased with this. Check it out if you can!! :o)

on 11/22/2003 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

really fun to have. all my cousins and friends want to take it away from me. but i want to keep it so i can swap it for something i'd like. i think it's a great kit. it's just the eyeshadow colors don't really work for me and i'm used to 'powder' eyeliners. brush quality is okay but there's so much better out there. but it's a really fun kit to have.

on 11/14/2003 8:25:00 PM

Smashbox products are pretty good, I like the eyeshadow and blush that came in this set (light pink, mauve/plum and medium brown eyeshadows, all frosted but not horribly so and the blush is a rosy pink). I haven't tried the cream eyeliner or the lip pencil because on most days I barely wear lip gloss or eyeshadow! The brush set is good in concept (one handle with interchangeable tops), but my own brushes are better so I don't usually use these. The colors in this set are definitely on the pink / grey / mauvey side. Nothing orange, coral or spicy.

Top Rated Smashbox Products