Revlon Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

4.3

Frosting Powder: Potassium Persulfate , Sodium Metasilicate , Sodium Stearate , Sucrose , Sodium Persulfate , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Silicate , Silica , Hydrated Silica , EDTA , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Ultramarines (CI 77007) , Cream Developer: Aqua (Water) , Hydrogen Peroxide , Cetearyl Alcohol , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Cyclopentasiloxane , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Amodimethicone , C11-15 Pareth-7 , Laureth-9 , Trideceth-12 , Glycerin , Ceteareth-20 , Steareth-10 Allyl Ether , Acrylates Copolymer , Disodium Phosphate , Phosphoric Acid , EDTA , Methylparaben , After Highlighting Shampoo: Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide MEA , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Hydrolyzed Silk , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium C14-17 Alkyl SEC Sulfonate , Stearamine Oxide , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , PEG-23M , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , Tetrasodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Parfum (Fragrance) , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Amyl Cinnamal , Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Red 4 (CI 14700) , Red 33 (CI 17200) , Yellow 6 (CI 15985) , After Highlighting Conditioner: Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Linoleamidopropyl Dimethylamine Dimer Dilinoleate , Stearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Panthenol , Panthenyl Ethyl Ether , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Amodimethicone , Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate , Isostearyl Glycolate , Triisostearyl Citrate , Diisostearyl Malate , Isostearyl Lactate , Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Ceteareth-20 , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Trideceth-12 , Cetrimonium Chloride , Parfum (Fragrance) , Isopropyl Alcohol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Amyl Cinnamal , Citric Acid , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

on 3/24/2015 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

This does give u nice highlights. The cap is hard to use so i only gave myself some face framing ones. I love it! But i am not sure how people are supposed to pull hair out trough the holes at the back its not easy but i like my result. I threw out alot of the color because i only added some face framing ones. I imagine dying the regrowth will be difficult but i will probably purchase this again.

on 3/14/2015 6:25:00 PM

I attempted a balayage highlight technique with this and I'm writing this to anyone who is also considering doing it as when you search on youtube for diy balayage this kit comes up a lot. I started with about 5" root growth of virgin medium ash brown hair, the ends of my hair were sort of a combination of platinum, gold and a honey color. Basically I grew out my bleached blonde hair the last year and a half. It pulled off a slight ombre look and I was very sick the last year and a half with a few surgeries done so I really didn't care a huge amount about my hair, I wore a lot of hats. Now that I'm ok, Woot! But with very little funds now I decided to give this product a shot. After reading all the great reviews and studying many a youtube video on how to use it to do balayage highlights with revlon frost and glow, I figured that could soften up the top of my hair color to hair-paint a bunch of streaks down to the light ends. I used my own gloves and did not use the highlighting cap. Eventually I even took the gloves off and just used my fingers for precision. Maybe I didn't leave it on long enough but it came out uneven on me..with a lot of brass. My bang portion which I put the most product on and where I wanted to lighten the most barely showed anything but brass, while right next to it a large orange blotch. On one of the youtube videos she explained that you can keep your excess product and do it again to fix any mistakes..I had only used about 1/4 of the product by that time anyway. I know about bleach and how my hair takes to it, when I used to be platinum stylists would have a hard time lifting with 30 volume peroxide..If I would have remembered that maybe It would have been safe to keep this on the maximum 60 min, because it is a super low volume. I did it again right away, It lifted better this time. I had to keep applying because this stuff dries fast and bleach stops lifting when It's dry..It came out a light reddish brown but other sections were so brassy and gold my hair almost looked worse then when I started. Thank goodness I had some Goldwell pearl gray toning mousse lying around and drenched my hair in it. That helped..So if you do this and It is too brassy remember that. One good thing I can say about this is it did lift my stubborn bottom layer which was a goldish red to a level up just gold..so it took to the toner beautifully. I hated that layer but also didn't want to go crazy bleaching it with a strong product because it is my length. I figured using this product on that area would be safer, and it was. All and all, this product did not work for me..To be fair I definitely did my own thing with it. I assumed my hair was perfect for it, It was virgin where I put the most product.. it was a light/medium ash brown with no red. It's not like I started with years of black dyed hair. I did have the blonde ends but I was very careful not to overlap. My bangs were totally brown and virgin and this took two times to notice anything, the 2nd time I left it on a full 45 min. I do like how it is gentle and I don't feel like I fried my hair or anything. I'll probably have to go get it fixed at a salon eventually after I give it a rest..It's too bad. I'm going to be toning like crazy for awhile to keep the brass at bay..It's pretty bad.

on 3/13/2015 6:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I've had blonde highlights done professionally for 2 years until my whole hair was blonde. I went to my high-end salon and finally asked for an all over bleaching to get platinum blonde hair. Since my hair was already light blonde with roots, I thought the processes won't be hard. $500 later and 4 bleach sessions in 1 sitting my hair was an orange disaster! I waited a few months and bought the Frost and Glow Platium, and it made my hair white blonde with no brassiness! It was the brightest my hair has ever been and my hair wasn't damaged at all after using this. I did use 2 boxes to cover the top section of my hair and ended up with a beautiful platium blonde hair color with some lowlights from the previous bleaching job at the salon. Love this product!!

on 2/15/2015 9:09:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I would probably give a 4.5/5 if I could.

This product is pretty good. Generally a friendly highlighting kit to those who have never tried highlighting their own hair at home (like me). I used the 'honey' one on my hair. I didn't use the cap that it came with. I just sectioned 1/2-1 inch sections and applied the mix to each section. It turned out pretty nice, very natural. At least about 96% of my hair. There a couple downfalls. One - if you leave the mix on for too long. And two - if you don't apply this stuff evenly. The box does warn you of that, though. I was stupid, and left it on one section for too long. Now one section of my hair is a vibrant yellow. Ha! But yeah, otherwise most of my hair looks pretty good.

I love this product and always end up coming back to it no matter what I try. It's great for highlighting really dark hair, the honey one that is. I usually have to use it at least two times on my dark hair for satisfying results but I do it over a period of months. This product does not damage my fragile hair as much as others. I always have a toner on hand in case it turns orange or is too yellow. Great product and great value.

on 12/3/2014 6:27:00 AM

I love it. It takes a very long time to get all the hair out of the holes (and my husband helped me for the top and the back of the head) but the results are BEAUTIFUL. My hair was dark brown, i used color oops, my hair was ginger, i dyed it a medium ash blond but it was still orange so i expected a little brassiness. I left the bleach for 50 minutes and i got beautiful golden blonde highlights (i bought the blond kit for blond/light brown hair)
It is still a little yellow and i will buy a purple shampoo soon, but the result is very naturel, it blends very well. I have short hair (like jennifer Lawrence's pixie cut of last year) so i didn't go too low in the back to avoid the "sheetah" effect.
Best 13$ i ever spent on my hair....! I'm very happy. I might purchase the platinium one next time and do a free-hand balayage on the darker strands, and then tone them, to get a lighter blond. =)

on 11/19/2014 10:47:00 PM

Definitely worth $10 produces beautiful highlights.

on 11/18/2014 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I used to spend $200 for salon highlights for years, and started using this product consistently over the past three years. People always compliment my hair and ask where I get my hair done! I'm happier with the results of this kit than any salon that I've ever been to. My hair would get so dried out when I had salon highlights, as they always over highlighted no matter how subtle or partial I had requested.

I leave the product on for 40 minutes and get nice subtle blonde highlights. I alternate between the Caramel and the Blonde kit (I touch up every two to three months). Over time, I get a multidimensional highlighted effect by doing this. There is a slight learning curve, as far as achieving the effect that you want. When I used to use this for all over highlights, I would touch up the roots only for 20 minutes (after pulling through the cap), and then apply the remaining mixture through the ends for the last 20 minutes. I'm now using this to do partial highlights, so I only use half of the product each time. Talk about affordable!

I find that this works best by using a metal hook (can get at Sally's) to pull the hair through. I also pull mostly thinner pieces, and occasionally thicker ones (spaced out evenly, usually every two or three holes). This gives a very natural look. Be careful not to pull too much in the front--it's tempting, but over do that and it won't look right. It will come out too blended in the front and the highlight effect will be lost. I use a mirror for the back and sides. The process just gets easier and faster every time.

on 9/5/2014 3:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I purchased this while in the process of going blonde. I was already 400 bucks deep from going to the salon as I wasn't comfortable going blonde myself. My hair was a dark brown/red and after a session of highlights, another session of highlights, a full bleach and all over color later (all in the span of 3 months, don't worry) the top of my hair was ash blond up top but the bottom half was much more warm toned since my hair was so dark. I didn't want to spend loads of money at the salon again and I wanted my hair much blonder and to fix the bottom warmer part to make my hair all one color, I bought this lot. I did the highlights a day after getting my full bleach and color, so my hair was dry and damaged. It was stupid on my part. I didn't have anyone to help me and it was hard pulling my hair through the holes. I only did the front part and some of the sides side I couldn't reach all of the holes. The pick thing sucks and it bent and almost broke so luckily I had a metal one I got from sallys. I processed for too long as my hair tends to pull orange no matter how light I try to go and fried my hair. It melted in some places but it's not too bad. Broke off at the ends in some places but it's not even notable. Like I said it was my own stupidity doing this after a bleach and color. But I'm very impatient with my hair and OCD and wanted it one color. So I had nice almost white blond highlights but my hair was very damaged and the bottoms where still warm toned ( I planned on going over the bottom with a light ash blonde again) but since my hair was so damaged I left it alone for a long time and just dealt with the slight difference.
Long story short, this definitely works but do NOT leave it on longer than recommended. But keep in mind I used this on already blonde hair. I don't know
How it would work on darker hair.

on 8/20/2014 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Pros:
-doesn't turn hair orange
-doesn't smell as bad as others
-easy to use
-can be done alone
Cons:
-pulling hair through cap takes a long time (1+ hour for me because I have a lot of hair)
-weak hook
Tips:
-if you can get someone to help you with the cap
-mix after you're done pulling the hair!!
-in the shower keep the cap on while washing (as you condition it will slide off easier)

I've used this product so many times I've lost count! I first used it last year on my black asian hair. It hi-lighted my hair to a brown shade which was very good for a drugstore product on my tough to color hair. Now after several uses and a couple hair dyes, I'm a blonde! I have a brown base color which was achieved with another product but the blonde was achieve with this product. I have a fear of brassy hair and I've used this product so many times because it never turns out brassy. I always get compliments on my hair and questions where I got it done, but I did it all by myself with the help of this kit!