April 17, 2014 | 1870 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2014 8:13:00 AM More reviews by TheMickster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this kit on and off for years. I used to pre lighten my very dark brown hair with a caramel hair color and then pull it thru the cap and add highlights. It always came out so light and beautiful. I now use it to touch up my ombré. It works great to lighten my dark brown hair up to a yellowy level. After I always have toner handy to get the yellow tones out and get very light almost platinum highlights.

A few important tips (I am a stylist): always poke holes in the cap first. It makes it way raise to pull it thru. Always wear a plastic cap (can even be a plastic grocery bag) under the cap that comes in the kit. This ensures that there will be no bleach leakage (causing spots) if you accidentally punch the hole too large or rip it. Always follow up with a toner if the result is too brassy rather than re bleaching and damaging your hair. Never put this product over already bleached hairs. This can severely damage you hair over the long run, try refreshing the brassiness with a toner and only applying bleach to roots.

All and all a great product if you are careful with it!

Will continue to purchase when I don't feel like spending a few hundred at the salon.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/18/2014 4:58:00 PM More reviews by LydiaGee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Last summer I used Revlon Highlighting Kit for medium to dark brown hair. The kit included a cap with holes and a utensil to pull your hair through and apply the hair dye. In my experience, the cap was annoying therefore I discarded it and tried to apply hair dye to frame my face. My virgin hair (black) came out blonde which was great. The hair that was previously dyed dark brown came out orange, as expected. So, I recommend this product for people who want to dye their virgin (chemically untreated and uncolored) hair. I do not recommend this product for anyone who wants to dye on top of brown, red, or auburn hair dye. Also, I had to condition my highlighted hair more often because the dye is drying...

rated 2 of 5 on 3/17/2014 11:42:00 AM More reviews by jenniro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm realy upset with my results. I have what I consider light-brown hair and I bought the kit for blonde highlights. I SHOULD HAVE bought the honey kit. My highlights came out very obvious and streaky. It looks unprofessional and cheap. I found the cap very hard to use. Pulling out the hair was a challenge because of the 2nd layer of plastic under the cap. It was best to go back and poke all of the holes before putting on the cap. The hook was terrible and sometimes pulled out way too much hair, or sometimes pulled out just 2 strands of hair. I left the bleach on for about 45-50 minutes. I did have to go through an orange stage. Because the cap was so weirdly fitting on me, I wasn't able to make the cap very tight. Therefore, the highlights stop about an inch from my scalp. My husband noticed how weird this looks. Now I think I have to dye over the whole thing. I wasted time and money and I am embarrassed by how this looks. If I had purchased the honey kit, perhaps my review would be much different.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2014 2:50:00 AM More reviews by Aclark7351

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is an awesome product! I have really thick, dark brown almost black hair. I used the cap provided, and I did the "Face Framing and Crown"option. It took me about 45 minutes to pull the hair through the holes in the cap-it is a little tedious but once I got the hang of it was fine. I left the dye on my hair for 35 minutes and then washed it out with the provided shampoo and conditioner. The result was natural and well placed highlights in nice honey/blonde/caramel color. My only issue with this kit is that if you follow the guided holes in the cap, you end up with too many highlights too close together near your ears. You can't see them too much when my hair is down, but they are obvious with my hair in a pony tail. Next time I will pull out less pieces of hair in that area. Problem solved!

I will totally buy this and use it again in a few weeks when mine fade! I got my kit from Riteaid and it was about $12.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2014 7:55:00 AM More reviews by velvet202

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been highlighting my hair for over 10 years and have probably tried most products on the market with more or less good results. This is by far the worst.
I have dark brown, fine, wavy, shiny hair that takes about 20-25 minutes of highlighting to get nice golden-blonde highlights. I hardly ever use a hair iron and only highlight about every 2 to 3 months, so my hair is in great condition. I left Revlon Frost & Glow in for over 40 minutes without much success. The shade is a dark orange-brown even though it looked lighter covered in highlighter cream. I could have lived with the result (or lack thereof) but what made me want to write an honest review is that my hair is now dry and coarse with no shine and it looks like it'll take a long time to get it back to its previous condition. The non-brassy agent might be a good idea but it's nothing you can't buy for less than five quid in any department store.
I will not repurchase and will not recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 4:01:00 PM More reviews by jordyn98

I absolutely love this product! Is was my first time highlighting so I was skeptical about the results. The cap was really difficult to use but then I got the hang of it and it became very simple. I only left in the product for 15 mins and it looks great! Next time around i'll keep it in for a little longer. My hair feels healthy (I used extra conditioner and leave in conditioner) i will definitely buy this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 9:03:00 PM More reviews by emilykathleen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the best, absolutely fool proof, at-home highlighting kit ever! I've used all three varieties countless times with no issues. In fact, the only "issue" I've had was not leaving the bleach in long enough, but that was my faulty bathroom clock's fault, not the kit. I've never had to use more than one kit at a time, even when doing a full head (pulling hair through every single hole) on my extremely thick hair. This kit is an incredible value- I get great results myself for only $7 instead of $70 at a salon. Yes, the cap and hook technique is a bit tedious, but soooo worth it. As long as you follow the directions and take your time, you'll love the results!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2014 11:29:00 AM More reviews by nm1188

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've never had any luck with at home hair coloring so I was very skeptical about trying this highlighting kit. After reading all the good reviews, I decided to go ahead and try it. Seriously, my hair looks EXACTLY like how I get it done at the salon. Perfectly even blonde highlights that blend in with my light brown hair! I don't think I could justify paying all that money professionally when I could just pay around 8 bucks and get the same result. If anything, I like it better! It looks so much more natural and subtle and I love how you have the option of where you want your highlights. It's a fool proof highlighting kit that I definitely would recommend to anyone!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by merullo23

My hair could be described as medium brown, maybe even light brown. I used the honey highlighting kit. I love what this did to my hair! Here I'll review the process and my results overall.

The application process was easy enough, though the cap part could be tricky. I first poked holes in the cap all around, only in the circled spots. This way when the cap went on my head, it would be a lot easier to grab hair. After doing that, I put the cap on my head and took hooks of hair and pulled that through the cap. I recommend working from the lowest part of your head upwards because that made it so minimal hair fell onto my face as I was working. If hair does fall onto your face, you can always clip it up on top of your head. The hook is a little tricky, but you get the hang of it after the first few successful hairs. The back of your head is hard, but if you face two mirrors at one another you can see what you're doing, which I managed to do successfully. After the cap, applying the bleach is a breeze! Just paint it on. I gobbed it on with my fingers pretty much, haha! Then you put the included plastic over it and wait about an hour. To be safe, I waited 55 minutes. After, you hop into the shower and use the included shampoo and conditioner on your hair. My hair feels hardly damaged at all, interestingly! I expected a lot worse.

As long as you mix it all together, you can't really go wrong. The bleach ends up looking blue, which is good because the blue cancels out any orange you may have from the bleach, leaving you with blonde streaks! I say blonde, but on me they came out very caramel. It's fitting and goes well with my medium brown, but they're all over so my head looks a lot lighter overall.

I was nervous about the cap application and the placement of my streaks, but they came out totally awesome! it's nice they're not so chunky like foils would be so they look way more natural.

The next time I highlight my hair, I will be using this product for sure. No salon treatment beats 11 dollars with hardly any damage :) Not to mention it comes out incredibly well!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2013 4:35:00 PM More reviews by keribieds

I originally heard about this product from youtuber Kalynxo13, and immediately, I wanted to try it out on myself. I originally had ash blonde/light brown hair with faded blonde highlights from a few months ago which, by the way, costed me nearly $150 JUST for highlighting and a trim. Crazy! I used the blue box for blonde color on my hair and wow, I fell in love. It took me quite some time to get the hair through the hole but in the end, I was very pleased with the color. This is by far my go-to highlighting product. I plan on using the blonde box for a few more months to touch up my roots and continue adding lightness to my hair, then I'll move onto the purple box for platinum color and do the same. Overall, A+!