August 23, 2014 | 1374 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by Sabsh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Pros:
-doesn't turn hair orange
-doesn't smell as bad as others
-easy to use
-can be done alone
Cons:
-pulling hair through cap takes a long time (1+ hour for me because I have a lot of hair)
-weak hook
Tips:
-if you can get someone to help you with the cap
-mix after you're done pulling the hair!!
-in the shower keep the cap on while washing (as you condition it will slide off easier)

I've used this product so many times I've lost count! I first used it last year on my black asian hair. It hi-lighted my hair to a brown shade which was very good for a drugstore product on my tough to color hair. Now after several uses and a couple hair dyes, I'm a blonde! I have a brown base color which was achieved with another product but the blonde was achieve with this product. I have a fear of brassy hair and I've used this product so many times because it never turns out brassy. I always get compliments on my hair and questions where I got it done, but I did it all by myself with the help of this kit!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2014 3:32:00 PM More reviews by dladymuse

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

First time I ever used this product. I used the blonde highlights kit. Only a couple of days before I coloured my with light golden blonde 93 from Garnier Belle Colour. I used the small hook it came with, had my daughter help me with the back of the cap. I left the highlights on for 25 minutes, but next time I think I'll go for 35 minutes. Turned out great! Looks soo natural! There was no smell and it was all a very easy process. I highly recommend this product to everyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2014 4:41:00 PM More reviews by lrhamilton

I bought this with the intent of doing a balayage ombre on my fine, medium-length light brown hair. I've colored it before so I was a bit nervous that it would come out orange, but it ended up fine. I started with dirty hair as I went to the gym beforehand.

The instructions are clear and everything is clearly labeled. They include the frosting cap and appropriate tools, none of which I used for the actual coloring process. I used my fingers to choose exactly where I wanted the dye to go. It took me about 20 minutes to apply the product, as I have never done highlights/ombre/balayage before. I left it in for about 10 minutes after I finished applying the last of the product, then got in the shower and used the provided shampoo and conditioner.

It's more subtle than I intended but it definitely looks good. I may use a toner later, but at this point I don't think I need it.

Warning: since there's bleach in the product, wear a shirt you don't care about and do it in a well-ventilated area!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by AlexaSzaf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I started coloring my hair at home about 3 months ago. I was so unhappy with my salon results as they were never able to get what I wanted... so I took matters into my own hands. I cannot say enough positive things about this product. I won't use anything else. The color is very forgiving if you mess up, and it really provides a salon look. You can use it by the cap, brush, or just your fingers which I do. I love how it's given me a multi-toned blonde. I follow up with a toner and it's perfect. I can't see myself going to a salon again! ♡

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2014 9:57:00 AM More reviews by fallenangel97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my solution everytime I mess up my hair with all-over color. I use the platinum for light to dark blonde hair. I don't understand how Revlon makes these things without any ammonia, but the smell tells me it's true. I have to have my mom help me pull my hair through the cap. It always evens out my hair when I end up with two to three different ugly colors from using an all over color.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2014 12:21:00 PM More reviews by 01juliemarie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I really have to thank everyone here for recommending this product!! It was my first time ever highlighting hair myself with a cap, and wow. Pretty darn good results! Let me tell you about my hair first off:
Thick/Dry Medium-Dark brown naturally with previous golden highlights growing out about 3 inches from the root.

I was going for roughly the same look as my previous highlights so the color would blend better, so I used the Medium- Dark brown honey highlights. I left the product in my hair for 30 min before I rinsed. Also, my hair does NOT feel super dried out. It's already dry as it is and the product didn't seem to make it worse. I will however, deep condition just in case.

One thing I wasn't fond of was the cap. Granted, it was my first time attempting this and in retrospect, I believe it did a good job than most highlighters without the cap, but it's a pain in the a**. Get someone to help you lol, I wish I did.

I also didn't like how in some areas the dye didn't reach as close to the root that I would have liked, but I suppose it isn't terrible. I'm wondering if its the way I positioned my hair under the cap (my part is at an angle on the left side of my head) I have about an inch or so of untouched areas. Overall though, the color came out great, and I would definitely do this again with some help of course lol.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 7:53:00 PM More reviews by myaminou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am very pleased with this product (and I am a difficult customer when it comes to my hair...). Money is a bit tight right now and I didn't want to pay 200$ for highlights (I am not pleased with the results most of the time anyway - either too golden, too brassy or too chunky). I must say that I was a bit afraid of using a hair product bought at Walmart... I tend to rely only on professional quality products.

I used the box for "light brown to blond hair" (the girl with short hair on the box- my hair are dyed something between light brown and dark blond). I managed to pull all my hair from the cap without any help (using a small mirror to see the top and the back). This was not an easy task, but it is doable if you take your time. Other reviewers have complained about the hook and the cap, but I did not have any problems using them.

I left the product 60 minutes on my hair (did a strand test the night before, which is recommended). The highlights are very subtles and not brassy at all. Will buy again!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2014 4:20:00 PM More reviews by dcalhalabi93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My experience went as follows:

My hair is almost hip length, very fine strands, but still healthy and shiny and soft because I baby it. 3 months before using Revlon frost & glow, I dyed my hair the Burgundy #48 color from Revlon Colorsilk. But after only a month it has faded into a dark auburn or sort of cherry wood color. I knew this meant that if i bleached it with the highlighting kit it would definitely pull some orange and brassiness because when i looked at my hair in the sun it was brown with a strong red/orange undertone. I had read many reviews and watched numerous reviews on YouTube about this product and found some people with a red undertone to have quite nice, blonde results, while others come out with peach colored hair. And I had read on MUA that what determined the color was if you could be brave and leave the bleach on past the "orange" stage and get to the light yellow stage which is when you would need a toner. Finally I decided to give it a go. I went and bought 2 boxes of Revlon frost and glow, one in the Honey color for medium to dark brown hair and one in the blonde color for light brown to blonde hair. My plan was to only do a balayage look on my hair so that it was less damaging and because I prefer the more modern look of balayage compared to the old style frosting look that this product is intended for. And I knew that my hair would only lift so far with the darker kit so I had planned on using the second kit a month after to lighten my hair to the correct shade. and of course, I had 2 boxes of a natural hair dye on stand-by just in case. As an experienced hairstylist, I knew that if I was going to bleach hair like mine it needed to be in the best condition ever, so I took the plunge and gave myself a thorough trim with many layers and deep conditioned it before hand. i ALSO kept some of the longer strands that I had cut off to do a couple strand tests as an added insurance (FYI, you should ALWAYS do the strand test...never never never skip that step) I mixed up 1 tsp of the powder with 2 tsp of developer from the honey kit and added it to the first cut strand and did the same with the blonde highlighting kit and applied it to the second strand, covered both in tin foil and left it for 20 minutes. ....nothing happened. I left it another 20 minutes. ....nothing happened. Left it for the final 20 minutes. ...only a slight shade or two difference was noticeable on either piece. I had to leave the bleach on both strands for almost 2 hours before I got up to a dark golden yellow color. But I washed the strands and felt them, they were still in very good condition so I decided to go ahead with the process figuring the reaction would take place faster in my own hair because of the heat from my head which is needed anyways to activate the bleach. So I mixed up the full bottle and powder packet of the Honey kit and separated my hair into the different sections according to the length of the layers, because with balayage the cut is the most important key to deciding where to place the color. And FINALLY i started applying the bleach. In the beginning I used the gloves because of course its important when handling chemicals, but the gloves provided are so overly sized that I couldn't accurately apply the bleach or cover my hair in tinfoil without making a mess of the bleach or applying bleach on my hair where I didn't want it to go. So I decided to remove the gloves (Yes....not smart I know, but I'm a hairstylist not a doctor so I cared more about my hair than my fingers lol). Everything was going great until halfway into my hair I ran out of bleach!! I was so desperate that I was bending down on picking up globs of bleach that had fallen on my floor (covered with towels of course) but even that was not enough. I had no choice but to use the other box of bleach for "Blonde" highlights. I quickly mixed it up and applied it to the rest of my hair, having a little more bleach left over because of using less bleach on the top layers of my hair. I let the bleach sit for 40 minutes and checked it. The first foils I had done were still a very golden ashy brown color so I left it on another 20 minutes and checked it. by then it was a very gold/orange yellow color so I shampooed and conditioned with the provided shampoo/conditioner (which is amazing and leaves your hair feeling so soft) After my shower I let my hair air dry and noticed the color was still a little too ginger for me. it was like a strawberry blond color which didn't go well at all with my cooler skin tone. There was almost no visible damage to my hair so I decided to lighten it a bit more on the ends only with the leftover bleach. I applied to the placed that were still a bit too orange and left it in for 40 minutes, it was lighter but still too yellow. I left it in again for 15 minutes and after checking to find a very light yellow, I washed my hair again with the second packet of shampoo and conditioner. (FYI I don't recommend double processing your hair in one day, and especially for how long I did, but my hair was in very good condition and I noticed no damage after the first go so I knew my hair could take it). I let my hair air dry again, this time putting a leave in conditioner into the ends where i had bleached. I liked the color a lot better the second time. It was more of a gold color (Like legit gold ....jewelry gold) and it still felt soft and silky and nearly no split ends/breakage in sight. Was I happy with the color? No. It is still a bit too brassy and orange for my liking, but I bought a good toner shampoo and I will wait a month and try again with either the blonde kit or the platinum kit to achieve more of the light blonde (Shakira blonde) tips I was hoping for. For now it is livable and my family and husband really like it. It smells AMAZING! One lipstick off because of the HUGE gloves which forced me to burn my fingers....OUCH

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by CrystalChild

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was my first time ever highlighting my hair (salon or otherwise).

I have medium brown hair naturally, and it was (mistakenly) dyed dark brown. Whenever I've tried to tone or change the color of my hair it always comes out VERY dark, so I figured it would take a long time to lift color out of my hair with this product.

I only pulled hair through some of the holes, and very small amounts of hair, at that.

I processed the bleach for about 50-55 minutes, and it ended up lifting to a dark golden blonde. Very pretty, and not brassy!

My highlights aren't very noticeable, because there aren't many of them and they are so thin, but I'm planning on buying another kit and giving myself some more!

The only thing I wish could be improved upon was the cap. Unlike others, I didn't have an issue getting my hair through the cap with the plastic hook. BUT I did have problems getting the highlights to touch my head. Maybe I have an odd head shape... lolz. But I tied the cap as tight as possible and i thought I was getting close to my root, but some of the highlights were off a bit.

Overall, I highly recommend this project and I will be posting a picture soon :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2014 6:08:00 PM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've used this product before and my highlights always come perfect, I have dark brown hair that salons never ever know how to bleach, I have been even to a "master colorist" at Aveda with no luck, she turned my hair orange-red and even after two toner sessions my hair was still clown-like.
I used this yesterday and left the mixture for 20 minutes with a plastic bag on (test swatch cooked much slower) my hair was orange at that point, washed and put a light ash brown for 30 mins, got the perfect caramel highlights. Probably 40 minutes will turn my hair blonde if I ever want blonde highlights.