November 26, 2014 | 1443 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2014 10:47:00 PM More reviews by Alysia143

Definitely worth $10 produces beautiful highlights.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2014 1:10:00 PM More reviews by reeny417

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used to spend $200 for salon highlights for years, and started using this product consistently over the past three years. People always compliment my hair and ask where I get my hair done! I'm happier with the results of this kit than any salon that I've ever been to. My hair would get so dried out when I had salon highlights, as they always over highlighted no matter how subtle or partial I had requested.

I leave the product on for 40 minutes and get nice subtle blonde highlights. I alternate between the Caramel and the Blonde kit (I touch up every two to three months). Over time, I get a multidimensional highlighted effect by doing this. There is a slight learning curve, as far as achieving the effect that you want. When I used to use this for all over highlights, I would touch up the roots only for 20 minutes (after pulling through the cap), and then apply the remaining mixture through the ends for the last 20 minutes. I'm now using this to do partial highlights, so I only use half of the product each time. Talk about affordable!

I find that this works best by using a metal hook (can get at Sally's) to pull the hair through. I also pull mostly thinner pieces, and occasionally thicker ones (spaced out evenly, usually every two or three holes). This gives a very natural look. Be careful not to pull too much in the front--it's tempting, but over do that and it won't look right. It will come out too blended in the front and the highlight effect will be lost. I use a mirror for the back and sides. The process just gets easier and faster every time.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/5/2014 3:37:00 AM More reviews by Hkc123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased this while in the process of going blonde. I was already 400 bucks deep from going to the salon as I wasn't comfortable going blonde myself. My hair was a dark brown/red and after a session of highlights, another session of highlights, a full bleach and all over color later (all in the span of 3 months, don't worry) the top of my hair was ash blond up top but the bottom half was much more warm toned since my hair was so dark. I didn't want to spend loads of money at the salon again and I wanted my hair much blonder and to fix the bottom warmer part to make my hair all one color, I bought this lot. I did the highlights a day after getting my full bleach and color, so my hair was dry and damaged. It was stupid on my part. I didn't have anyone to help me and it was hard pulling my hair through the holes. I only did the front part and some of the sides side I couldn't reach all of the holes. The pick thing sucks and it bent and almost broke so luckily I had a metal one I got from sallys. I processed for too long as my hair tends to pull orange no matter how light I try to go and fried my hair. It melted in some places but it's not too bad. Broke off at the ends in some places but it's not even notable. Like I said it was my own stupidity doing this after a bleach and color. But I'm very impatient with my hair and OCD and wanted it one color. So I had nice almost white blond highlights but my hair was very damaged and the bottoms where still warm toned ( I planned on going over the bottom with a light ash blonde again) but since my hair was so damaged I left it alone for a long time and just dealt with the slight difference.
Long story short, this definitely works but do NOT leave it on longer than recommended. But keep in mind I used this on already blonde hair. I don't know
How it would work on darker hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by Sabsh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Pros:
-doesn't turn hair orange
-doesn't smell as bad as others
-easy to use
-can be done alone
Cons:
-pulling hair through cap takes a long time (1+ hour for me because I have a lot of hair)
-weak hook
Tips:
-if you can get someone to help you with the cap
-mix after you're done pulling the hair!!
-in the shower keep the cap on while washing (as you condition it will slide off easier)

I've used this product so many times I've lost count! I first used it last year on my black asian hair. It hi-lighted my hair to a brown shade which was very good for a drugstore product on my tough to color hair. Now after several uses and a couple hair dyes, I'm a blonde! I have a brown base color which was achieved with another product but the blonde was achieve with this product. I have a fear of brassy hair and I've used this product so many times because it never turns out brassy. I always get compliments on my hair and questions where I got it done, but I did it all by myself with the help of this kit!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2014 3:32:00 PM More reviews by dladymuse

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

First time I ever used this product. I used the blonde highlights kit. Only a couple of days before I coloured my with light golden blonde 93 from Garnier Belle Colour. I used the small hook it came with, had my daughter help me with the back of the cap. I left the highlights on for 25 minutes, but next time I think I'll go for 35 minutes. Turned out great! Looks soo natural! There was no smell and it was all a very easy process. I highly recommend this product to everyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2014 4:41:00 PM More reviews by lrhamilton

I bought this with the intent of doing a balayage ombre on my fine, medium-length light brown hair. I've colored it before so I was a bit nervous that it would come out orange, but it ended up fine. I started with dirty hair as I went to the gym beforehand.

The instructions are clear and everything is clearly labeled. They include the frosting cap and appropriate tools, none of which I used for the actual coloring process. I used my fingers to choose exactly where I wanted the dye to go. It took me about 20 minutes to apply the product, as I have never done highlights/ombre/balayage before. I left it in for about 10 minutes after I finished applying the last of the product, then got in the shower and used the provided shampoo and conditioner.

It's more subtle than I intended but it definitely looks good. I may use a toner later, but at this point I don't think I need it.

Warning: since there's bleach in the product, wear a shirt you don't care about and do it in a well-ventilated area!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by AlexaSzaf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I started coloring my hair at home about 3 months ago. I was so unhappy with my salon results as they were never able to get what I wanted... so I took matters into my own hands. I cannot say enough positive things about this product. I won't use anything else. The color is very forgiving if you mess up, and it really provides a salon look. You can use it by the cap, brush, or just your fingers which I do. I love how it's given me a multi-toned blonde. I follow up with a toner and it's perfect. I can't see myself going to a salon again! ♡

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2014 9:57:00 AM More reviews by fallenangel97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my solution everytime I mess up my hair with all-over color. I use the platinum for light to dark blonde hair. I don't understand how Revlon makes these things without any ammonia, but the smell tells me it's true. I have to have my mom help me pull my hair through the cap. It always evens out my hair when I end up with two to three different ugly colors from using an all over color.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2014 12:21:00 PM More reviews by 01juliemarie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I really have to thank everyone here for recommending this product!! It was my first time ever highlighting hair myself with a cap, and wow. Pretty darn good results! Let me tell you about my hair first off:
Thick/Dry Medium-Dark brown naturally with previous golden highlights growing out about 3 inches from the root.

I was going for roughly the same look as my previous highlights so the color would blend better, so I used the Medium- Dark brown honey highlights. I left the product in my hair for 30 min before I rinsed. Also, my hair does NOT feel super dried out. It's already dry as it is and the product didn't seem to make it worse. I will however, deep condition just in case.

One thing I wasn't fond of was the cap. Granted, it was my first time attempting this and in retrospect, I believe it did a good job than most highlighters without the cap, but it's a pain in the a**. Get someone to help you lol, I wish I did.

I also didn't like how in some areas the dye didn't reach as close to the root that I would have liked, but I suppose it isn't terrible. I'm wondering if its the way I positioned my hair under the cap (my part is at an angle on the left side of my head) I have about an inch or so of untouched areas. Overall though, the color came out great, and I would definitely do this again with some help of course lol.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 7:53:00 PM More reviews by myaminou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am very pleased with this product (and I am a difficult customer when it comes to my hair...). Money is a bit tight right now and I didn't want to pay 200$ for highlights (I am not pleased with the results most of the time anyway - either too golden, too brassy or too chunky). I must say that I was a bit afraid of using a hair product bought at Walmart... I tend to rely only on professional quality products.

I used the box for "light brown to blond hair" (the girl with short hair on the box- my hair are dyed something between light brown and dark blond). I managed to pull all my hair from the cap without any help (using a small mirror to see the top and the back). This was not an easy task, but it is doable if you take your time. Other reviewers have complained about the hook and the cap, but I did not have any problems using them.

I left the product 60 minutes on my hair (did a strand test the night before, which is recommended). The highlights are very subtles and not brassy at all. Will buy again!