November 27, 2014 | 1548 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - Bois Farine

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2014 5:24:00 PM More reviews by stls

You know those confidence boosting statement perfumes that can stop others in their tracks for good or bad but will certainly get noticed. Truth be told I love some of them.

And then there is Bois Farine on the other side of the spectrum, delicate, polite and discreet.

The name is quite fitting actually; smells like flour, unsweetened pastry dough, nuts and the most tender woods imaginable. It doesn't really evolve, only becomes even more quiet with time so if you like the initial spray you'll probably like it till the end. Is it wearable? For me yes, yes, YES, but I often appreciate peculiar, quirky scents.

Keep in mind that it is truly a skin scent, won't project much no matter how many the sprays but it lasts, sometimes even until the next morning if applied generously.

I find it marvellous; such a homey, comforting and innocent scent, almost angelic. The olfactory equivalent of a well fitting cream cashmere sweater; super soft, comfy and impossible not to enjoy wearing it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2013 9:55:00 AM More reviews by zeynepd

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This and its slightly honeyed, winter queen sister L'eau d'Hiver are two fragrances that I have difficulty depicting. I think both are powerful, deep and complex fragrances despite their surface simplicity. In the case of Bois Farine, the interesting story of the white tree from the Reunion Island with a smell resembling that of flour increases the possibility of olfactory dreaming and associations.

I think this is a curse as much as a blessing because Bois Farine has a chameleon character. Whenever I read something about it in the reviews, I am able to go and find that association in this fragrance. Thanks to MUA reviews I have read in years, I have been able to smell wet cardboard, peanuts, mushrooms, and wet plaster in it.

On my skin, bakery notes of slightly bitter flour, dough and maybe some spices and balsamic nuances are more prominent than wood notes but recently my chemistry has also started to emphasise licorice and sandalwood – which are not notes that I feel comfortable with. Yet I think this is a very interesting fragrance. It has never become a second skin for me, and I have never felt very comfortable wearing it. Still, it gives me an odd feeling of calm and assurance.

Definitely worth sampling.

Medium sillage and good lasting power on me. 3.5

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2013 3:22:00 PM More reviews by sillage

I love Bois Farine. It's my favorite L'Artisan and I own 4 of them (the other 3 I have are Passage d'Enfer, La Chasse Aux Papillons, & Vanilia).

I ordered Bois Farine unsniffed roughly a year ago, based solely upon reviews, and I was *not* disappointed at all. I started wearing it, fell madly in love, became addicted, and felt I needed a backup bottle immediately. I've since calmed down a bit from that -- my 3.4oz bottle should still last awhile longer.

Notes, per parfumo.net:
Top Notes: Fennel seed
Heart Notes: Iris
Base Notes: Benzoin, Gaiac wood, Sandalwood, White cedar

Fragrantica.com says: "Bois Farine is the first fragrance from a series of the perfumer's journey, created by the Artisan Jean-Claude Ellena in 2003. He made this fragrance in the memory of encounter with an unusual tree in the Reunion Island forest. This forest is known to be colorful with yellow wood, red wood, iron wood, milky wood. In this magical forest, the perfumer's attention was drawn by the white aromatic tree, which exclusively grows on the island and is known for its enchanted strength. Its red blossom smells like flour. Bois Farine is unique aroma of the magical tree: rich floral, woody, powdery..."

Translated from French, it means "wood flour" -- and it smells just like that to me. Wood & bakery elements combined, how awesome! I was entranced at the mere thought of that combo and had to have it.

The scent is a soft lumbery wood mixed with flour (as in baking flour), slightly sweetened. I love it, I think it's delicious, and I plan to pull mine out soon and wear it in the Fall, the best time of year for it IMHO. It's a soft, warm, cuddly scent -- a comfort scent. There's really nothing else quite like it -- that I've ever found anyway.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2012 7:03:00 AM More reviews by cocorocha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

yes,some kinf of powdery flour...but most of scents development goes in the cedar/iris direction...
smells like a cup of lapsang-suchong with a hint of iris...
very special, but kinda not the ''perfume'' I'd like to show off in public....
unique,milky,comfortable....I see no resemblance with Eau d'Hiver, at all!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2012 11:34:00 PM More reviews by tesschloe

I don't know what it is about this perfume, but I love it. I have had the bottle for about a year now. I use it in the cooler weather as it just seems to go with the cool. It has a nutty smell mixed with a sweet honey type smell. Everytime I put it on I can't get enough of the fragrance. It is very unusual, but it just does it for me. I just love it for no real reason. I put some on my 7 year old daughter today and she kept saying she loves it....I think it is a fragrance you either love or hate. If you love it, you absolutely love it. I will repurchase when I empty this bottle as I can't go without it now...LOVExx

rated 1 of 5 on 4/7/2012 6:18:00 PM More reviews by angelvixen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchased the sample from Luckyscents.com which is great for trying out the fragrance before buying the bottle. Yuck. I too, get licorice, a tinge of something flowery, but mostly mixed with cigarettes and garbage. I'm scared that once the scent has dried and the fragrance has faded, you are left with a trash dumpster smell. Not attractive for any social outings. And definitely not for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2011 1:30:00 AM More reviews by ChickenBear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a really unique scent. I would classify it as a 'sophisticated gourmand'. Wear it and you'll smell *reminiscent* of something delicious, almost good enough to eat. Without nessecarily smelling like food. Which is a good thing, I think. I don't get the peanut/pencil shavings/flour top note that most people do, but I definitely get an aniseed/fennel blast initially which I really love. I also get a lot of warm woody notes. Bois Farine isn't exactly long lasting but it doesn't do an immediate disappearing act like some L'Artisan fragrances do. I find that it lasts longer if you spray it on clothes rather than skin alone. I sprayed it on my scarf almost six hours ago and I can still smell it! It dries down to a lovely, creamy skin scent with a prominent iris note. This is definitely a comfort scent but I do also find it elegant and feminine and I think it could be worn out. However in warmer months I find this a bit heady for my taste. I've really been enjoying it more in cool weather-cold air really cuts the sweetness and brings out the nuances of the scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2011 8:50:00 PM More reviews by christinaking

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My journey started 5 years ago when I first discovered L'artisan. When I went to the counter, I fell in love with Bois Farine! I'm guessing the saleswoman hated it because she told me it very usexy!!! Which of course, as a woman, totally turned me off. Fast forward 5 years and I recently went back to L'Artisan, and I asked for all these samples, and at the last minute, I asked for Bois Farine. I wear all of them for 2 weeks and today, I was a little down, and put on BF for the first time. Well, not only did I get weak at the knees, but the scent lifted my spirits and made me feel so warm and happy. Then my boyfriend comes home, gives me a hug, and says "you smell so good!". Then he tells me that he went for a walk later on and with the wind, he caught a whiff of my perfume on him, and absolutely loved it. So my point to this long story is that this was a perfume I loved, but did not buy because it was deemed unsexy by the saleslady, but the man in my life adores it. To me it is soft, powdery with vanilla and almond....those are the notes I can describe but the actual scent is quite undescript. It is beautiful, soft, and passionate. I also loved Jour de Fete but it disappeared very quickly. This fragrance lasts and lasts and smells like I would imagine the divine to smell. This is my new HG...the search is over for good:)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2011 5:15:00 AM More reviews by Anista

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I really don't understand where the flour, bread, cookies or peanut butter notes came from in others reviews… :-( L’Artisan described it as “a bewitching blend of powdery flowers and mellow words, a sensual bouquet that will caress your skin…” and that is exactly what I’ve got on my skin and in my imagination when I put on Bois Farine. Simply divine!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2011 9:13:00 PM More reviews by gigi27

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Peanut-y, sugary, floral gourmand. Sweet and dry at the same time. Not really powdery in any traditional way, thoroughly unique.

It is also the most snuggly fragrance I know.