April 23, 2014 | 987 users online

Cleansers - Peter Thomas Roth - Glycolic Acid 3% Facial Wash

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2013 12:03:00 AM More reviews by Beautae

When I first bought this product, it worked wonders on my skin then after two or three weeks it started not to have as big of an effect as it did. The product did dry out my face so moisturizer was a must when using this. Now, I mainly use it for taking off heavy make-up and I love it for that because it takes it all off with ease. With that being said, I would re-purchase it for that use only.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/16/2013 7:06:00 PM More reviews by lovelyKk

WARNING!!! This product may work very well at clearing your skin, but watch out! I used this product every evening with my clarisonic brush for a few months. I knew it was too harsh to use twice a day. My skin did start to get very dry and peel, but after a few weeks I noticed a huge difference. I was not breaking out and my skin was almost completely clear. I do not have horrible acne to begin with, just a few around my nose and chin. I was in love! Until I went to my dermatologist. I walked in and the guy at the front desk said "Wow! What are you doing to your face? It is so red!" I was shocked. When my dermatologist came is she said the same thing, she put the light right on me and my face was glowing RED! You could see underneath my skin, my whole face had this strange red-ish hue. I told her what I had been using and she said this was definitely it. She said this is much too harsh for anyones face. I was so happy with my clear skin I did not notice the redness. After a week or two of not using this my skin was not red anymore, I did relapse and used this one evening and noticed the redness was back right away for two whole days! Two stars because this can be amazing if your skin can handle it. My skin is pretty resilient though and this damaged mine quickly so I took a few off.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2013 11:50:00 PM More reviews by Sonne82

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had the worst experience with this cleanser, it almost ripped my face off - literally. Even though I have acne-prone skin, I haven't had any major breakouts for a few years. This cleanser made my skin breakout terribly for weeks to come, I had red patches all over my face, especially around my mouth, chin and the side of my cheeks. I started to get cystic acne which I hadn't had for years. I first thought that I would be going through a purging period but even using it every other day or only twice per week it just wasn't for me and the damage was done. It almost took 3-4 months to get my skin back to normal. Luckily I bought it at Sephora and was able to return it for a credit. Definitely will not be buying this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2012 1:10:00 AM More reviews by InfoAlly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this product with my clarisonic mia at night after pre-cleansing my face to remove makeup. It does contain SLS so it foams well. My face feels clean after use and I find the concentration of Glycolic Acid gentle enough for daily use. I did try using this soap twice a day and found the product drying my skin.

The packaging does not travel well; the cap leaks the product.

250ml lasted about 8 months or so for me. Although I paid ~$50 plus tax for this bottle at Sephora, it did last a long time so it's worth buying if you love the product.

I generally find glycolic acid containing product good for controlling blackheads. Overall, this is a good product but I wouldn't mind trying other products to see if there is something better.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2012 1:22:00 PM More reviews by rachybloom

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I gave this product a fair shot. I bought it after using a sulfur-based prescription face wash (Plexion) for years. My previous face wash had been discontinued and I thought trying a glycolic acid would be beneficial to my skin. I have pretty normal skin that gets random dry patches during weather changes and is prone to breakouts (mostly one/two large cystic pimples a month and whiteheads).
I used this for four months until the bottle ran out. I don't think it's a terrible product, but for me it really didn't agree with my skin. The first week I used this my skin was massively dry, like scaly almost. But, as a poor student I thought I'd push through it and see if my skin improved. Eventually, my skin "adjusted" to this and no longer felt dry after the first week. I only used it once a day (at night) with my Clarisonic after using an oil cleanser to remove my makeup. This gave me massive amounts of whiteheads and did NOT prevent further breakouts. I think it was a result of over exfoliation since the acid in this is an exfoliant. Wouldn't buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2012 4:12:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this after using MUAC's glycolic acid peels (which I love) thinking that anything with glycolic acid would be a welcome to my skin. Unfortunately, this didn't do much for me.

Before I switched up my skin care regimen, I used this in the morning in the shower. I didn't see any kind of improvement in my skin when using this. In fact, this gave me a bit of a weird rash on my face. Not a red, bumpy rash but some kind of irritation. I developed small bumps on my cheeks that wouldn't go away until I stopped using this. I have alligator skin that isn't easily irritated so I have no idea why this would irritate my skin.

The product itself lathers well and isn't terribly drying, but it smells awful. The smell doesn't linger, but it still smells funky. Overall, this is just yet another PTR product that didn't do anything for me except leave me a little bit poorer. I ended up chucking this in my drawer of cast offs because, in my opinion, this product doesn't help my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 10:41:00 AM More reviews by Silvia8329

I am in my late 30's, have blackheads that I can never seem to totally get rid of and large pores. I'm also starting to get some fine lines.

This product is fantastic. I use a pea sized drop and one of those face brushes with a handle. I think the combination of the exfoliation from the brush and the acids in the product help reduce the blackheads and improve the overall look of my skin. I have combination skin, when the weather is cold and dry, I use it once a day and use a more gentle cleanser for morning.

I know the $32 price tag seems high but the bottle lasts me 9-11 months when I use the face brush and a very small amount of the product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2011 6:06:00 AM More reviews by starlee2

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If you want fast results, this is the product for you. I've used it only 4-5 times, and my skin is definitely smoother. I've tried so many different skincare products and only 5% of them gives actual results like this cleanser. My skin is so smooth and it's fading my post-acne marks! Hooray!

It does dry out my skin, so I regulate how often I use it. I use it in the shower so that my pores open up and it can sink in. Any cleanser is supposed to sit on the skin for a minute or so, so that it actually does something. If you wash it off right away, you're wasting your money.

Make sure to use a sunscreen while using this product, though. Glycolic acid makes skin more sensitive to the sun.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2011 2:37:00 PM More reviews by albrygold

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used this cleanser for about a year, thought I'd try something else, and am ready to go back. It helped clear up my blackheads and whiteheads, evened out my skin tone and wasn't too drying. Although I know that cystic acne is hormonal, I was hoping against hope that some potion out there could help clear it up so I switched to MD Forte which made my skin look great for about a week -- minimized pores and cleared up my pimples -- and then my skin started breaking out again and my pores weren't tightening anymore. I'm going back to what I know works and this is it.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2011 1:24:00 AM More reviews by sweetmoya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this because the Sephora store I went to said they were no longer carrying DDF 5% glycolic face wash, so they recommended this. I really don't like it. It made me break out and made my skin super dry and rough. I have used DDF before and never had the same problems I'm getting from using the PTR 3% wash. It's just not as good.