Santa Maria Novella Tabacco

3.5

on 8/6/2008 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I don't think I have smelled enough blond tobacco fragrances. This is a smooth, sweet fragrance that smells more like POTL to me than Fumerie Turque. No notes are distinct.

on 5/10/2008 2:14:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Comes out on me as a paste-y vanilla with oversweet tones and plastic birch notes. It's actually quite dreadful on my skin and nothing at all like Fumerie Turque as a reviewer below suggested. Fumerie Turque is a glorious, delicious golden scent. This is artificial and off-putting. It does have a soft vanilla side and doesn't make me run screaming to the sink which is why it doesn't get the rock-bottom 1 rating. But it's a very near miss.

on 6/23/2004 12:00:00 PM

Baby powder. A nice baby powder, but not different enough from Johnson & Johnson to justify the difference in price. If you like powdery scents, this is for you.

Romanticizing a plant that both built the state in which I live and damaged or destroyed many of the lives of those I love/d most brings with it trepidation. With that said, the virtue of tobacco in fragrance becomes clearer with such attractive and downright intoxicating scents as Creed's Tabarome and Santa Maria Novella's Tobacco.

"Tobacco" is a prominent, single note wonder coupled with a touch of sandalwood in a warm, honeyed concoction that stands out among the plethora of somewhat ordinary scents in this historically significant perfumer's collection. The plant's characteristics as the tobacco leaf is cured include a deep, resinous spiciness, sweetness and somewhat sticky quality much like honey. The result of curing, processing and reducing the leaf to its essence is a deeply earthy, rich and remarkably different scent not meant for everyone.

Like fine cognac, tobacco must be properly aged and cured to bring out its best, most endearing characteristics. Santa Maria Novella, with its time-honored techniques and the perfection of extracting and enhancing single note scents delivers, perhaps, its most unique scent with Tobacco.

And on a personal, selfish note, I adore this scent because it takes me back to my childhood and youth standing in tobacco fields and in the barns where this magical, much maligned plant is cured to be delivered to market where cigarette makers purchase it.

I relish that the virtue of this plant is shared worldwide with fragrance lovers. What a sniff!

on 12/28/2003 10:56:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I absolutely fell in love with this...it was love at first whiff! I plan on getting a bottle for myself in the spring. I did pick up a bottle for a friend for Christmas and I was REALLY trying to NOT buy one for me since I was SUPPOSED to be Christmas shopping! LOL You know how THAT goes!

Tabacco is everything I love in a fragrance...spicy, wam and this is not too heavy, so it would be okay for springtime wear.

This is from the website www.isabellaimports.com where you can read about the entire line.

Tabacco (Oriental/Unisex) Inhale exquisite blonde Nicotiana from Umbria with a seductive touch of Mysore sandalwood. Exceptionally esoteric, like a fine brandy, this woody unisex fragrance evokes the old world glamour of smoking jackets and cocktail gowns.
Umbrian Nicotiana touched with Sandalwood from the Mysore region of southern India

on 10/26/2003 6:22:00 PM

Hold the Fumerie Turque train! The ever generous rosie00000 sent me a sample of Tabacco over the summer, but I did not take the time to test it properly until now. Tabacco is a honeyed gem from beginning to end. The initial sweet tobacco note morphs seamlessly into a subtle citrus-aromatic accord (lavender?) before settling into a blissful meditation on honeyed beginnings. For me, Tabacco is a scent for pensive moments and quiet pleasures; it also feels as reliable and comforting as my favourite black scarf. SMN Tabacco certainly will be an everyday staple this fall and winter.

Popular Fragrances