Chanel Rouge Noir

4.4

Today, after beeing a MUA member for yeeeaaars, I am actually writing my 1st review :-)

So here goes: Chanel Rouge Noir nail polish.
Of course I checked the other reviews before. Very helpful was the one pointing out how much cash I would spend in trying to find a dupe. Yep, Essie Wicke, while very nice, just didnīt do it. in comparison wicked looks "dead" on the nail, While very shiny it does not have that slightly translucent quality and the livelyness of the red somwhere deep in the base. It beats me how Chanel did it.

I am from Germany. The bottle here says "18 Rouge Noir"

Packaging & Handling:
Very classic, what makes Chanel polishes different from all the others is their dainty brush. Yes it is longer and more floppy than others. You have to hold the tiny round top with a kind of elegant grip.
When putting on your Chanel you cannot rush! The brush almost orders you to sit down on your beautiful butt and celebrate the whole application process. No sturdy brush to just swap it on. No Lady, either you do this right or your manicure is doomed.

Staying power:
Surprise, surprise! On my thin nails 4 days with almot no tip wear. Something happens on day 5 that just makes the polish come off in really big sheets.

Finish:
First application uneven, streaky. Second application and the magic sets in. Even, self levelling and very glossy!

Base Coat: P2, really cheap about 2,50 EUR
Top Coat: Sally Hansen Insta Dry about 7,95 EUR
Rouge Noir: 23,00 EUR
It seems to be all about between what base and top coat you sandwich your Chanel.

I hope this helps you make your decision. Could I live without it before, well yes. Can I live without it now? Well no :-)
It just makes you feel so elegant and sexy.

I am afraid this is the beginning of a Love for Chanel Polishes. Well you have been warned ;-)

Happy Polishing!

on 11/21/2014 7:35:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I really love all the Chanel nail polishes, but in particular I'm crazy for this beautiful colour! So classy and sexy at the same time.. And very shiny!! It last for 6/7 days if you apply on your nails good top coat! Seriously, one of my favorite polishes of all the time!

on 6/22/2014 5:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I own quite a few chanel make-up items, but didn't get one of their polishes yet. I splurged on this beautiful colour and did not regret it at all! It is a quality polish, and stayed extremely well on the nails. I got a bit of tipwear during the 3 days that I wore it. I don't mind that. Surprisingly the tipwear was only on my middle finger, and my thumbs stayed impeccable, usually my thumbs chip first! So yes, love it!

on 5/22/2014 6:07:00 AM

I've always loved this colour but never had the guts to splash out on such an expensive nail varnish. I always opted for lookalikes! However, last year I treated myself and I have to say I was less that impressed with the results.

The colour is stunning, perfect for when you want a near-black polish but don't have the guts to go full on. Aesthetically it's perfect, including the bottle.

The huge downside is the durability, though. It started chipping after a couple of hours, even after using a base and quality top coat and by the end of the first day of wear I'd lost 70% on both hands. It's such a shame and not what you'd expect from such a quality brand. I also found the brush too thin, which made application hard.

My advice would be to go for lookalike colours (there are loads about) and save the massive bashing your wallet will get. It really isn't worth it.

on 2/24/2014 3:19:00 PM

You definitely need a base coat and a good top coat for Chanel nail varnish. I'm quite surprised how easily the varnish chips. I treated myself to this colour, my daughter bought a vibrant red Chanel polish which also chipped after wearing for only a day. With Chanel being an expensive nail polish, I thought it would be longer lasting than the cheaper varnishes.

on 1/22/2014 10:46:00 AM

My only previous Chanel nail polish was Dragon, which was an absolutely beautiful red but didn't wear particularly well. I figured I was done with Chanel polishes - however, I'm currently going through some kind of delayed goth phase and I just couldn't find a colour similar to Rouge Noir. It looks so beautiful in the bottle, and in fact it is just as beautiful on my hands (I'm extremely pale, NC15). Finally I plonked down the ÂĢ18 at Selfridges during my lunch break and hoped for the best. As with Dragon, it doesn't have amazing staying power and chips within a day or two. However, it will look pretty damn good for that first and second day.

I've heard that using the Chanel topcoat is the best thing for keeping Chanel polishes in their place, but I don't have the $$$$ to find out. To sum up: short lived but perfect for the vampire babe within.

on 1/22/2014 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I am very, very disappointed by this polish. ok the color is beautiful, but it started chipping after one day. the brush is too thin, it seems that Chanel wants to save money on the bristles! another thing that I noticed and that I do not like is the label sticker. I'm sorry but for what it costs, I think they should take more care about details. I will never buy it anymore, Essie nail polishes are of better quality and half the cost.

on 10/13/2013 1:16:00 AM

I first bought Rouge Noir in the mid Nineties when it was called Vamp - it was the worst polish that I have ever purchased. I swear it started to chip before it even fully dried. I have been purchasing countless bottles of Revlon's Vixen since then. Last fall I purchased Chanel's Frenzy and the formula was flawless. This was certainly not the same formula I had last tried! Fast forward to this fall, and when my current bottle of Vixen was depleted I decided to try Rouge Noir. It is perfect! A better formula and better lasting power than Vixen, this polish lives up to its pedigree and its price tag.

on 2/11/2013 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Looking for dupe? Flormar 323 is the answer. Chanel is sold for 50 lira where Flormar is sold for 2,50 lira in my country. I really don't think Rouge Noir deserves this price tag.

on 2/11/2013 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

If you only own one Chanel nail polish, it needs to be Rouge Noir. It's such a deep, classically sexy color. It's a color that men have complimented me on and it's rare that I get a man's compliment on nail polish. The quality of the polish is outstanding. It's opaque in one coat but I use two to deepen the color. The application is even and the finish is a glossy shine. It wears well and I recommend using a base and top coat to prevent nail staining and to prolong wear time. If I had to wear one nail polish for the rest of my life it would be Chanel Rouge Noir. I highly recommend.