April 19, 2014 | 1741 users online

Eyeliner - Giorgio Armani - Smooth Silk Eye Pencil in No. 8

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2012 9:38:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

I'm very happy with this eyeliner, which was an impulse buy at Heathrow. I'd heard that the texture of these was lovely, and I didn't have a gray eyeliner I was really happy with.

The texture does not disappoint, it is indeed very smooth, and goes on evenly and easily. If you've got a decent point on the liner it's easy to make a precise line, but it also smudges out nicely whether with a brush, fingers, or the smudger (a nice one, not scratchy) on the reverse side. I have had no problems with lasting power. I can use this on the waterline without irritation. The effect is more subtle than a black, and it fades off the waterline quickly, but stays in the lash line.

The color is a true gray, not pulling blue or taupe. It's a dark enough gray to work well as a liner, but it's absolutely not black. (You'd have to do careful sheering out with a black liner to get the same sort of look, unless you've got a black liner that's ... well ... not very black.) The best thing about this liner in this shade is that it's super quick, easy, and foolproof. Since the gray is a lot less stark than black, it's much more forgiving. This means it's great when you're in a rush, or if you're wearing no other eye makeup (or just mascara). It's a simple everyday basic that I find myself reaching for frequently. Also because of its foolproof nature, it's easy to grab if you've finished your eye makeup and then realized that you wanted to define your lash line a little more without having to be really careful or take a lot of time. Similarly it's handy for taking with you to change up your makeup a little on the go.

I've given the packaging top marks not so much for the box (which was perfectly nice) but rather for the following reasons ... The smudger is nice to have, and better than some. Both caps fit on securely with no risk of falling off or jamming the pencil into the top of the cap. The pencil's appearance is simple but elegant, with a color stripe down the side to let you know which one it is. It sharpens easily (doesn't need to go in the freezer first, not much waste). I guess they could have included a sharpener, but ... well, we've all already got plenty of those, right? I wouldn't say no to one, but I wouldn't want a price hike just to include a sharpener. I think the price is on the high side, but I feel like it was money well spent, so I'm pleased.

Good basics are always essential.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2009 4:21:00 PM More reviews by melissap1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really like the color of this liner when I first put it on. A medium charcoal gray with no bluish tones. Really looks nice on my blue/gray eyes. It sure does fade quickly, though. It's gone before lunchtime and I don't usually have that problem with liners at all. It just doesn't have the lasting power I would like.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2007 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Blackberry_Girl

Others describe this as charcoal gray, which is correct, but let me clarify: it is just a smidgen shy of being black. On my first pass with this I swore it was jet black, but as I smudged it a bit I could see it was not quite black. This is for those of you who want a black eyeliner yet think black is too stark. I'm not a fan of eyeliner in general. I usually just use eyeshadow wet to line. After trying this I am convinced the only reason I wasn't a fan of eyeliner pencils is because I'd never used one this soft and creamy. It goes on like a dream...no tugging or pulling. I suppose this is probably pricey for an eyeliner, but I honestly wasn't concerned since every GA product I've tried has turned out to be worth every penny. Now that I know how nice eyeliner can be I definitely need to get this in other colors as well!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2006 10:15:00 PM More reviews by LPomona

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Finally broke down & bought this & wish I'd done it sooner. Absolutely lives up to all of the hype on the board. As everyone else has already stated, this is a perfect charcoal grey. Slides on smoothly (thus the name, "silk") without skipping or tugging. Absolutely lovely, sophisticated shade for daytime, and it's definitely buildable, so if you want to go darker, go for it. This is worth the price - no question about it. Now I'm thinking about trying #2.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2005 4:05:00 AM More reviews by vvalencia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm really surprised at how much I reach for this pencil. It's the perfect eyeliner to add depth to your eyes without looking harsh...especially great for daytime! This has become one of my staples!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2003 2:05:00 PM More reviews by sasha

UPDATE: I have given this eyeliner another try and now I love it. I have oily lids and when I was first using this I was not applying a base or any eyeshadow. I was just wearing this alone. I am now wearing eyeshadow base, eyeshadow, and this liner and love it. It is the most beautiful charcoal color - not too dark, not too light, no bluish tones. It gives a great sexy smokey look. I'm glad I gave it another try. FYI: This really looks good with eyeshadow #26. How very disappointing. I love other products from this line and wanted to love this too as it is the perfect charcoal grey eyeliner in terms of color at least. Yes it goes on like a dream, very creamy, but smudges and wears away in an hours time. I have combination skin, and sometimes oily lids, but not all of the time. If I were to keep this it would have to be reapplied every two hours at least. $22.50 and not worth it. Sorry :(