Face Stockholm Cranberry Veil Lipstick

4.6

on 1/6/2015 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

LOVE LOVE LOVE. Perfect shade, I would consider it to be universal. I would repurchase in a heartbeat. Took 3 lippies off for the packaging, although pretty..the cap has a tendency to come off easily in my makeup bag. It's kind of annoying, but worth it for Cranberry Veil!

on 1/1/2015 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I was so excited to try this (despite finding very few online swatches or current reviews) that I plopped down a ridiculous expedited shipping fee. Wrong move.

Always on the hunt for a good sheer red, MAC Russian Red and NARS Mascate are my go-to matte crimson reds; I adore them, but in winter, and with deepening mouth lines and chapped-prone lips that seem to grow worse every day, mattes can prove unforgiving and dehydrating.

The color is...fantastically unusual. It's that elusive shade that cannot be described as too orange, brick, rosy, etc. It's not so deep or bold enough that I'd have named it 'cranberry' and I believe it's brown-based; it's certainly not a 'red' red lipstick so skip it if you're after a poppy or true red. But as far as a 'just a quick swipe and it'll match everything' shade, it should work with nearly any skin tone and for all but the most pigmented lips. I'd describe it as feminine, appropriate for any setting, and a nice swath of non intimidating berry fun for color commitment-phobes and those wanting to venture beyond nudes.

The finish is great. Lovely sheen. It's a tad more impactful in shine that other sheers I've tried except for a few NARS sheers I like. No taste/scent detected either. Yay! Color pay off is good and can be built up tho it doesn't dramatically darken even with heavy application.

But...like many sheers, it wears off quickly. Make that: immediately. So it's frustrating that even with heavy application, and though you'll eat off 90% of it in under an hour, the 10% that remains has declared squatter's rights: it's not going anywhere! Lingering too long in the wrong spots above and below the lips is a sign of a below average formulation. Youthful skin and lips that are obsessively conditioned won't suffer as badly, but I wouldn't recommend Cranberry Veil for maturing skin. It highlights everything I don't want highlighted but quickly leaves my actual lips naked and dull. Mild feathering goes with the territory but this is more extreme.

So we've covered the lovely color & sheen, the less than stellar longevity and hydration, and it's tendency to badly settle in lines. But now my biggest woe is one that is squarely my own dumb fault because I should have sought out and read the ingredients prior to purchase. Unfortunately, practically the day I turned 38 my face decided it hated me and I developed sensitivities to products and ingredients I previously used without consequence. This formula is what you'd expect from a lipstick two decades ago. If you have a mineral oil or lanolin sensitivity, or just prefer more modern cosmetics, check it out:

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Lanolin, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Lanolin Oil, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Ozokerite, Ceresin, Tocopheryl Acetate, BHT.

* for ALL "Veil" colors:
May Contain (+/-): Mica (77019), Titanium Dioxide (77891), Iron Oxides (77491, 77492, 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (77163), Carmine (75470), Manganese Violet (77742), Blue 1 Lake (42090:2), Orange 5 (45370:1), Orange 5 Lake (45370:2), Red 6 (15850), Red 7 Lake (15850:1), Red 21 (45380:2), Red 21 Lake (45380:3), Red 22 Lake (45380:3), Red 27 (45410:2), Red 27 Lake (45410:2), Red 28 Lake (45410:2), Red 30 Lake (73360), Red 33 Lake (17200), Red 36 (12085), Red 40 Lake (16035), Yellow 5 Lake (19140:1), Yellow 6 Lake (15985:1), Yellow 10 Lake (47005:1).

So it's up to you! It's a bit pricey at $20-30, has very limited retailers, but is the lippie that Carolyn Bessette Kennedy supposedly favored so will always have its fans and curiosity seekers.

on 11/2/2009 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The veil line from Face Stockholm is amazing. I have this in cranberry and it is sheer, moisturizing, not too glossy, and has no shimmer at all. it is a lip 'tint' of sorts. the best part is that it is quite long lasting for a sheer product. the color is a mid toned red.. not cool at all, but not too warm for me too wear. Very good product. i recommend for those who love sheer color.

on 3/12/2009 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

One Word. BEAUTIFUL. I bought this after reading it was a favorite of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy, whose style I always admired. This is a very special red lipstick. It goes on with a sheerness, yet if you layer it, the color can actually get quite deep. This is a shade that is likely to work on all sorts of skin tones because it's a very neutral red. Not Orangey, not pinky, not brownish. Just a sexy, simplistic red that is all class.

on 9/7/2007 2:13:00 PM

The BEST sheer lipstick ever, in the perfect "your lips but better" shade. The perfect texture - never sticky, smooth, moisturizing (vitamin E), wears evenly, superb. The only thing missing is SPF -- but having tried just about every sheer lipstick out there (with and w/o SPF), I always come back to this and wonder why I wasted money looking for something else when Cranberry Veils is clearly the HG!!

on 3/15/2004 3:14:00 PM

bought this from drugstore.com (on clearance). it is a dead ringer for Clinique's Black Honey, with a bit more brown to it. Has a definite lipstick taste, but it is an awesome color...my perfet MLBB shade. Pretty silver tube packaging. Would repurchase :)

on 10/18/2003 10:18:00 AM

This is THE best sheer red lipstick I've ever used. Very natural and looks great on my PPP skin. Wonderful, sheer texture.

Popular Lipsticks