July 31, 2014 | 2051 users online

Fragrances - Diptyque - Tam Dao

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2013 11:24:00 AM More reviews by zeynepd

I love the smell of sandalwood but most sandalwood fragrances smell too figgy on me. Unfortunately Tam Dao is no exception. After a raw, robust and realistic start, it quickly mellows to a creamy figginess as if I layered it with Philosykos:) It's not too sweet or cloying but not exactly what I'm looking for in a sandalwood fragrance, either.

Medium sillage and good lasting power of 6-7 hours on my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2013 7:59:00 PM More reviews by moomooknickers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Based on reviews here I purchased a sample vial to try out. I agree that a moderate dab or single spray finds this scent only lasting 2 hours and only noticeable to you. Be generous and perhaps dab on underclothing so that your body heat will make it last longer. It's green and resiny, grassy fresh with a touch of deeply flavoured manuka honey. Slightly industrial so unisex. Gives you butterflies in the stomach once it opens up. Great for all weather but more suited to sunny days. I'm glad I tried it. I normally wear fresh florals so this was a little bit of a deeper, cooler and sharper change.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2012 4:41:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm getting soft, creamy, wood, but wow. Like zero sillage. Obviously, I'd need to use more or this is indeed a wood for summertime wear.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2012 2:15:00 PM More reviews by ShiverWithAntici

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This starts out with a sharp, green note, and shortly after dries down to a delicious, creamy sandalwood. It's a very pleasant, easy to wear, unisex fragrance, but has virtually no sillage. I have yet to find a Diptyque fragrance that projects well. Their longevity is decent, but most people won't notice the fragrance you're wearing unless they bury their faces in your neck ;)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2012 4:19:00 AM More reviews by CobraRose

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Gorgeous. Raw-wood opening, with an almost-rosey green aspect that's faintly reminiscent of L'Ombre dans l'Eau. Melts into creamy, mellow wood, rich but not heavy. Wonderful stuff.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2011 5:16:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

to bitter and spicy for me. i sprayed over it with eau duelle and it gave it some creaminess. lasting power is amazing though. i love sandalwood but this is not for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2011 10:24:00 AM More reviews by lallen08

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Far and away my favorite sandalwood to date. I have the lotion and the EdP. It's long lasting and smells fresh and sophisticated. Not a masculine.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2011 11:39:00 AM More reviews by amlang

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Warm-weather sandalwood. Sometimes I get a whiff of a little citrus in its middle notes, but for the most part, this is a simple, linear woodsy scent. It’s light or sheer enough to handle extreme heat. Very calming.

Bois des Iles is richer. Aomassai is both darker and sweeter. But sometimes the simplicity and relative sheerness of Diptyque scents are refreshing, a welcome break when you feel weighed down and don't want to analyze much of anything.

Medium sillage, excellent longevity.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2011 6:43:00 PM More reviews by missmostyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Sandalwood is my favorite scent, and from reviews and recommendations, Tam Dao promised to be just that.

At first spritz, Tam Dao opens as a very, very dry cedarwood or pine, almost too dry...and then it settles into a creamy sandalwood...but this is only short-lived...and then the scent is gone altogether.

The Sandalwood part is great, almost worth the dry cedar and constant reapplication, but it just seems like too much work for something that I could probably find in another perfume.

UPDATE: I enentually moved on to other scents yet kept my bottle in my bathroom cabinet. When my brother was in town visiting he tried it and liked it so much I let him keep it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2011 11:03:00 AM More reviews by WentworthRoth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Notes: rosewood, cypress, ambergris and sandalwood.

As I apply this fragrance, I see vanilla and citrus, but on my skin the fragrance opens with bitter and woodsy notes. I see resinous cypress with a smidgen of citrus and vanilla to soften the wood's roughest edges. The resulting accord is dry and airy - very pleasant to wear. However, roughly half an hour after application, sandalwood emerges and radically transforms the character of the composition. The wood’s creamy quality takes centre-stage emphasised by ambergris – which is also responsible for the initial vanilla impression – , whereas cypress adds a bitter-green touch that sandalwood normally lacks. Once this transformation is complete, the fragrance stays this way until it fades. Lasts for 6 hours on my skin.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No