Diptyque Tam Dao

3.8

on 2/23/2015 1:04:00 PM

I think I'm alright at writing makeup reviews, but there's something about fragrance that makes me wish I could just draw an MS Paint portrait of a stick figure either sniffing their wrist like it's loaded with meth OR running away from a steaming pile of cartoon dung.

Between body chemistry, personal nose preferences, and what you want to present to the world -- fragrance is so personal. I've kind of been on a quest to find my next love (a $$$ quest, amirite?), something more complicated and sophisticated than the simple "hippie" oils I've been favoring lately, but with kind of the same vibe, and Tam Dao is just...it. I will attempt to write a review because: I have skin chemistry that tends to amp up notes and make them sweeter -- for example, citrus-y scents tend to smell great on me, as they become less sharp, a little rounder. Anything gourmand becomes totally disgusting on my skin. SO if you have a similar situation, maybe this will help.

From Luckyscent: "In discussing Holy Grail fragrances with sandalwood lovers, Tam Dao is a name that comes up again and again. While not solely sandalwood, this blend of woods and ambergris features a gorgeous, dry sandalwood note that has earned it a devoted following. The opening is primarily cypress, very green and sharp, with a vaguely industrial feel. Then the blend of exotic incense-like sandalwood and softer, sweeter rosewood begins to develop slowly. The sandalwood becomes luxurious and creamy, with additional richness from the ambergris. Luminous and tranquil, with a meditative quality Tam Dao smells a like a precious carved object. Even at its creamiest, it still has that authentic, dry bite of freshly-hewn wood and that transparent quality that is the hallmark of so many Diptyque scents. A must try for sandalwood lovers."

On me, the opening is a bit sharp but dries down to an addictive woody creaminess, with yes, a touch of fig. It's not an angular, straightforward figginess though, like BPAL's Eden, which is a scent I enjoy but just can't wear for an extended period of time. The green quality fits the bill in regards to my desire for something more natural, and the drydown is just...*obsessively sniffs wrist*...skin that has seen the sun all day, that's been touched by water, not the ocean, green things, skin that's been Out There. And the There is someplace exceedingly beautiful. I have a decant, so sillage is affected by that particular kind of application, but it seems to have some throw, though the magic definitely occurs closer to the skin. It's gorgeous. Sexy, without being too much.

EXTRA BONUS: it plays amazingly well with the scent of coconut oil, which I slather myself with on the reg.

Sidenote, if anyone has a bottle they're looking to get rid of, message me! :)

on 5/9/2013 11:24:00 AM

I love the smell of sandalwood but most sandalwood fragrances smell too figgy on me. Unfortunately Tam Dao is no exception. After a raw, robust and realistic start, it quickly mellows to a creamy figginess as if I layered it with Philosykos:) It's not too sweet or cloying but not exactly what I'm looking for in a sandalwood fragrance, either.

Medium sillage and good lasting power of 6-7 hours on my skin.

Based on reviews here I purchased a sample vial to try out. I agree that a moderate dab or single spray finds this scent only lasting 2 hours and only noticeable to you. Be generous and perhaps dab on underclothing so that your body heat will make it last longer. It's green and resiny, grassy fresh with a touch of deeply flavoured manuka honey. Slightly industrial so unisex. Gives you butterflies in the stomach once it opens up. Great for all weather but more suited to sunny days. I'm glad I tried it. I normally wear fresh florals so this was a little bit of a deeper, cooler and sharper change.

on 11/29/2012 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm getting soft, creamy, wood, but wow. Like zero sillage. Obviously, I'd need to use more or this is indeed a wood for summertime wear.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This starts out with a sharp, green note, and shortly after dries down to a delicious, creamy sandalwood. It's a very pleasant, easy to wear, unisex fragrance, but has virtually no sillage. I have yet to find a Diptyque fragrance that projects well. Their longevity is decent, but most people won't notice the fragrance you're wearing unless they bury their faces in your neck ;)

on 7/22/2012 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Gorgeous. Raw-wood opening, with an almost-rosey green aspect that's faintly reminiscent of L'Ombre dans l'Eau. Melts into creamy, mellow wood, rich but not heavy. Wonderful stuff.

on 11/29/2011 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

to bitter and spicy for me. i sprayed over it with eau duelle and it gave it some creaminess. lasting power is amazing though. i love sandalwood but this is not for me.

on 10/1/2011 10:24:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Far and away my favorite sandalwood to date. I have the lotion and the EdP. It's long lasting and smells fresh and sophisticated. Not a masculine.

on 8/24/2011 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Warm-weather sandalwood. Sometimes I get a whiff of a little citrus in its middle notes, but for the most part, this is a simple, linear woodsy scent. Its light or sheer enough to handle extreme heat. Very calming.

Bois des Iles is richer. Aomassai is both darker and sweeter. But sometimes the simplicity and relative sheerness of Diptyque scents are refreshing, a welcome break when you feel weighed down and don't want to analyze much of anything.

Medium sillage, excellent longevity.

on 7/9/2011 6:43:00 PM

Sandalwood is my favorite scent, and from reviews and recommendations, Tam Dao promised to be just that.

At first spritz, Tam Dao opens as a very, very dry cedarwood or pine, almost too dry...and then it settles into a creamy sandalwood...but this is only short-lived...and then the scent is gone altogether.

The Sandalwood part is great, almost worth the dry cedar and constant reapplication, but it just seems like too much work for something that I could probably find in another perfume.

UPDATE: I enentually moved on to other scents yet kept my bottle in my bathroom cabinet. When my brother was in town visiting he tried it and liked it so much I let him keep it.

Popular Fragrances