December 22, 2014 | 1696 users online

Conditioner - Alterna - Caviar Treatment Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2014 11:34:00 PM More reviews by kassijade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this shampoo and conditioner (Alterna caviar rx repair) it seriously mends my color damaged hair to the point that it feels like it has never been colored or heat styled. It makes my hair soft and manageable with less breakage/split ends. I love that the shampoo is sulfate free, (sulfates ruin your hair!!) Also this stuff smells great and even though it is expensive about 30 bucks a bottle its worth it if you have damaged hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/20/2012 7:44:00 PM More reviews by cbrandolino

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

After writing my first two reviews ever (see Redken Time Reset) I'm actually shocked, yet again, to see the ratings for Alterna Caviar Shampoo & Conditioner. The Redken was literally the worst shampoo experience of my life, yet it was fairly highly rated.

So, onto my actual review...

It was certainly difficult - to say the least - spending $32 a bottle of shampoo and conditioner, but I was pretty desperate after going from mediocre hair to horse hair in three washes (thanks, Redken!). Starting from the top, I wasn't thrilled with the smell, but it wasn't intolerable, either. The shampoo was surprisingly concentrated, and I'm not newbie to salon products. When I washed it out, my hair felt pretty squeaky clean, which actually alarmed me, because I thought it was drying my hair out. The conditioner was a little thin, I thought. I usually put in conditioner, then comb it through with a wide-toothed comb, then let it sit for a minute or two. Upon rinsing it out, my hair felt super, super soft.

I let my hair dry naturally, but it actually seemed to dry a little faster than normal? I don't actually know if this is common, and quite honestly I don't really care either way. Upon drying, I actually was amazed how soft my hair was. After each new product I've tried over the last couple years, I always make my boyfriend feel my hair. His response is always the same: "er, yeah, feels okay hun", usually without him even taking his eyes away from the xbox. After trying the Alterna products, I had him do a feel-test, as usual. His response "er, yeah, feels...oh, wow!....that actually feels really great babe!". He was a little apprehensive on the price originally, but says I should keep buying it now. Go figure.

In short, I'm incredibly, incredibly happy I tried this product. My hair feels like I'm a kid again and I couldn't be happier. I'm still incredibly amazed at how many bad reviews there are. I've noticed a there are quite a few reviews that seem to be lower because of the price, and I really don't think that's fair. The review is based upon product performance - price doesn't determine anything but the price.

***UPDATE****

Same as the shampoo, this was working splendidly until after a few washes. Then, no bueno. Dried out my hair and made it brittle. Bummer :(

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2011 5:40:00 PM More reviews by Dozastroze

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a great product- it left my hair silky, shiny and very soft. I received many compliments on the 'shine' not a 'silicone'y' shine but a healthy shine. The smell was a little 'off' but it was bearable. The packaging was annoying, metal cap made it hard to grip in the shower but the product itself is excellent. I paid a large amount for this however you only need to use very little. I would suggest one splurging and trying it out

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2010 3:02:00 AM More reviews by Reika

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a total sucker for high end haircares…been using them for years and years, and I like to try different brands. But if I could only use 1 brand of shampoo/conditioner for the rest of my life, it would definitely be the Alterna Caviar shampoo and Conditioner!! This set is amazing..that's the only word I can think of to describe the result I am getting from using them. I have medium to thick and naturally wavy hair. I always take very good care of my hair because I color my hair all the time so they tend to get very dry and breaks easily. I always use a lot of smoothing/conditioning products to protect my hair from further damage as well as make my hair softer and smoother. But my hair would still look dull and lifeless. This shampoo and conditioner duo not only made my hair look and feel amazing, they literally restored the life of my hair! I My hair become so healthy and managable, completely tangle free, less breakage, shines from within (not the fake glossy shine from silicone products), even my color looks more vibrant after using them. Love love them!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2009 6:44:00 PM More reviews by roroluca

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Nothing fabulous, cheap Pantene conditioner works just the same. Nothing special about the texture or shine of my hair upon use. Does the job but I like Pantene's Nature Fusion conditioner so much more and that one is wicked cheap.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2009 7:22:00 PM More reviews by NarsAddict007

I have very thick coarse hair that is neither curly nor straight so I do tend to flat iron my hair a bunch. However, in the summer the humidity frizzes it and in the winter heating frizzes it. I've tried many different conditioners to tame it and this is one of the few that does. My hair feels a lot smoothers and silkier after using and although the price is a little steep, ultimately it's worth it. I definitely recommend trying this because you won't be sorry!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2009 9:53:00 AM More reviews by LondonKazza

A hairdresser (not my usual one) recommended this prodcut to me, I was feeling frivolous and bought a bottle (£25). I wish I hadn't. I have fine, highlighted hair that is dry at the ends and I don't think this is moisturising enough (my Paul Mitchell condition is miles better and less than half price of this.

I also don't like the smell of this - its a bit fishy! Will never buy this again or Alterna for that matter.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2009 2:15:00 PM More reviews by lopsilly

I LOVE the Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Moisture Conditioner. I received a free sample and have been hooked ever since. It made my hair shiny, silky and soft. I receive compliments on my hair in restaurants and on airplanes from strangers. Even my friends have noticed a difference in my hair.
The only deterrent is the price but for me the results offset the price.

I like the shampoo version of this conditioner but i noticed that after two weeks of use (during the winter months) i got dandruff so now i'm alternating between two shampoos and that seems to be working.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2007 9:41:00 AM More reviews by micacat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this on sale for 60% at Trade Secret. Usually I don't buy Alterna products because the smell of them has put me off. I am very particular about the smell of my face/hair products, and Alterna, although not overly flowery or fruity, just has an unappealing smell to me. That being said, this product does not have that "Alterna smell," instead, the smell is barely discernible, definitely not flowery or clean laundry, just a basic, simple smell. I have wavy/curly, color-treated hair that tends to be dry and frizzy--this stuff was nice, but not spectacular at giving me silky hair. When I feel like splurging, I usually go for Redken or Davines, which I really like. I am always on the search for the "perfect" product in every catagory, and this is not my HG for well-conditioned, soft locks, but, if you find it on sale, give it a try because it works well enough at moisturizing to have you satisfied that you picked up a "high quality" conditioner at a drugstore price.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2007 7:48:00 PM More reviews by christine21

It's good stuff...it makes my hair soft and silky. But for the price, there's probably cheaper ones that do the same. But I like this one so I will be repurchasing.