Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion - 10% AHA

4.2

Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, PEG 40 Stearate, Sorbitan Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Laurate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Petrolatum, Dimethicone, Myristyl Myristate, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Cellulose Gum, Sorbic Acid, BHT, Imidazolidinyl Urea

on 5/27/2015 4:43:00 AM

This product is a miracle in a bottle for me! I've been battling comedonal acne for years, to the point where I've forgotten what it feels like to run my hands across smooth skin when I wash my face. My face was covered in tons of tiny bumps that looked terrible under makeup and certain lightings, and it affected my self-esteem so much.

I've tried almost everything to get rid of those bumps. Facials and laser treatments, derm medications, supplements, expensive creams - I've tried them all! But most either didn't work or were temporary and very expensive solutions.

I randomly came across this product while shopping for supplements on iHerb one day, and decided to throw it into my cart since it was cheap and the reviews are pretty positive. It was the best purchase I've ever made.

I use it once a day before bed, and within a week, I could see a difference. In a month, my skin was 95% clear with just some old stubborn bumps left. And now, three months into using the product, my skin is the best it's ever been in a long time. Smooth, soft, and bump-free! Yes, I can finally feel smooth skin again when I wash my face after years of rough and bumpy skin! It's hard to imagine that just three months ago I was in a state of despair because of my horrible skin when now, I can leave the house confidently without make up.

I have pretty sensitive skin but thankfully, did not experience any breakout with this product. The tingliness upon application is also very mild and does not bother me at all. I'm so happy to have found something this cheap that works so amazingly, and I will continue to re-purchase as long as it's available!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is a product that is so cheap that one might be skeptical as to its effectiveness. Six ounces for $10! (And, you can tell that they put next to zero effort in terms of packaging it attractively — it's incredibly dated and looks like something you would find in your great aunt's bathroom amongst the piles of stuff she's been hoarding for 30 years.)

But it's just as effective as the Peter Roth Thomas 10% AHA moisturizer that I bought (and loved) a couple of years ago, only that one is $45 for 2.2 ounces, or more than 10x the cost of this one. I also randomly tried another 10% glycolic acid cream from Reviva Labs but that one burned like hell and produced zero results. No bueno.

This one does sting a bit when first applied (and if you have sensitive skin, you really ought to do a patch test somewhere first, per the instructions on the box), but it dissipates after a few minutes. The stinging doesn't bother me since the results are great and I absolutely can't beat the price, but if it's something that's stopping you from including an AHA in your regimen, it might be worth it to fork up for the PTR version, which in my experience, didn't sting at all (it's formulated differently and also somehow releases stuff over time, which may be easier for more sensitive skin to handle).

In any case, this is truly a transformative product and changed the texture of my skin for the better after only one use (woke up the next day with skin as soft as a baby's ass). Interestingly, not only were there immediate improvements in the texture of my skin, I also noticed (after applying again in the morning) that everything else I put on top absorbed better into my skin. Nice!

Finally and somewhat specific to the San Francisco area: while this is technically a drugstore product, it's one of the harder ones to find locally. City Target doesn't seem to carry it, and none of the Walgreens I've been to had it (but they all have such different inventory, so who knows?). Not sure about CVS. But, Bed Bath and Beyond has it (and lots of other Alpha Hydrox products as well).

I'm in my early 30's and have combination-dry skin that was looking a little too congested and "flaky" for my liking, so I decided to "amp up" my chemical exfoliation routine and give this lotion a try, and I am so glad I did!

The lotion is silky in texture and spreads very easily (a couple of pea-sized dabs does my whole face/neck).

In just a week of nightly use, I am seeing my pores become more refined, hormonal acne along the jawline clear up, and the two fine lines I possess soften. I can't believe this stuff sells for roughly just $13 per 6 fluid oz...

on 3/19/2015 10:34:00 PM

I was really excited about trying out an AHA product after watching a few YouTube videos on the amazing effects at clearing acne scars. I have sensitive acne prone skin and have been doing pretty well with an Estée Lauder BHA serum and Benzoyl Peroxide (Neutrogena), but I thought about how wonderful it would be to remove dark spots from acne and get anti-aging results. I bought one bottle many years ago of this and never used it because it said to spot test and I got scared with my sensitive skin and gave it to my mom to see if she was brave enough. While I see many glowing reviews and have no doubt that it works wonderful for some, I would say use with caution. I followed all the instructions and used a high SPF during the day and broke out in a red bumpy rash all over my face. This lasted for about 7 days. One day my skin was so bad I couldn't wear makeup to work and my coworker thought I was grump because I looked so bad. This makes me laugh after the fact;) I gave this two stars though because after the unsightly rash disappeared my skin did appear to look a little better, but I will stick to things that do not give me a rash for a week. Again, it seems to work well for most, just be wary if you have sensitive skin like me.

on 3/18/2015 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Good product, especially if your skin is normal or normal to dry. I think I will be needing something a bit more moisturizing (I'm 55) but for a drugstore product, I think it's very good, at least as good as many of the high end treatments. The 6 oz bottle lasts forever. I felt a little tingle or tightening but it didn't make me red or break me out. Not as much effect as a retinol, but if you're just starting to explore chemical exfoliaters, this is a good one to start with.

on 3/14/2015 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Ive been using this for ONE WEEK. I went to my normal grocery store and picked up a bottle of wine. For the first time in years, I got ID'd (I am 41 years old). I didnt think much of it... I just thought maybe the checker is simply the extra "do it by the book" type. She took my ID and eyed me cautiously... and at that point I thought she must have very bad eyesight if she was so seriously doubting my age to the point that she was scrutinizing me so closely. That, or she was just being a jerk.
She then said "Wow!!! You wear your age incredibly well... I NEVER would have believed you are 41 years old!"
I sh*t you not. This happened TODAY.
I might add that I was right about to start my period, which is usually the time of month that I look the most tired and old.

Beyond pleased with this product. Just wow.
This stuff can definitely sting. But... I went from not having AHA adjusted skin to using this day and night in one week. So I went hardcore.

Bought two more bottles for a steal today. Amazing product.

UPDATE: its one month later and I have been using this every day just once a day. No complaints here at all.... This stuff has improved my skin better and faster than any other product (I am also using a DIY vitamin c serum... but its never worked so well as when I use this product in conjunction). I am not afraid of the sting ... but I am tough that way. It still stings, a month later but I like it because it just reminds me of how powerfully effective it is.
Since using it Ive had many comments from people on how fresh and "glowy" my face looks. I see it myself every morning... My face does glow... it looks vibrant, youthful and healthy.
This product absolutely DESTROYED the bumps on my upper arms too. Theyre GONE now. I am going back to the store where I bought it and stocking up on it again. Its a great price for a good amount, but I just want to feel reassured that I have a lot of back up in case its discontinued.

on 2/9/2015 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this for the past year-plus and I can say that out of everything in my current skincare routine, this might just be the one thing that has made the biggest difference in the quality of texture of my skin.

First, the cons: This WILL burn upon EVERY application, unless MAYBE you have totally hardy skin that's free of any blemishes. Mine is hardy, but is fairly prone to blemishes, and particularly if these spots are feeling a little raw/angry it's kind of a grin-and-bear-it type of a thing. It also makes my face a little red for about 10-20 minutes after application.

But no pain, no gain, right? After it settles in, and upon waking up the next morning (I only use this at night), my skin is plump, glowy, and refreshed. After extended use I've noticed that the "expression line" that runs horizontally across my forehead has decreased in intensity, and the melasma I also have on my forehead has faded as well (though I'm sure this is also due to religious SPF use). I don't have any other major wrinkles to speak of, other than smile lines, and I'd like to keep it that way! I also have problems with post-inflammatory pigmentation, and have found that those spots don't tend to linger as long as they used to, either.

I use this every other night in conjunction with a BHA, which is not recommended/necessary for everyone, but if your skin can handle it I think it does make the AHA work better. (FYI, for my BHA I use the Paula's Choice 2% liquid, which is very gentle, and I make sure it sits/dries on my face for at least 30 minutes before applying the Alpha Hydrox.) If my skin is particularly dry/flaky I will spot treat any of those patches with a thicker night cream/oil on top of the AHA, but generally I find that not only is this a great chemical exfoliant, but it's a great moisturizer too.

The value is phenomenal--I got it for about $12 off Amazon, which for a product with the maximum amount of OTC glycolic acid is pretty great. What's better, there is a whopping 6oz of product, and since I find I only need about a raisin-sized blob of it, I am only about halfway through the bottle after a LONG period of using it! I do have a minor gripe with the packaging--the flip-top lid has a tendency to get gunky with dried-up product, so I think it'd be much better if this came in a squeeze tube, but for the value I can't complain. So, unless a much better AHA rolls along, I will definitely be repurchasing when I FINALLY use up my bottle. :)

on 2/7/2015 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I'm becoming a real fan of Alpha Hydrox products! They are effective but very reasonably priced. Just wish my local CVS or Walmart would carry their products...
When I first apply this lotion, it feels a bit too moisturizing, but it soon sinks in and I wake up to smooth, clearer, moisturized skin. I don't use this every single night, only about 3-4 times a week. It does sting when I first put it on, but just for a few seconds, and I never have flaking or redness. My skin tone also seems to be evening out.
I'm curious to see if I can continue to use this during humid summer months. Will update...

on 1/18/2015 8:05:00 AM

This is good stuff. It really helps smooth and brighten my skin. This is my second go with this product, and I've found I can avoid the drawbacks I experienced the first time around (some flaking, irritation and especially milia) if I:
- Take breaks- use every other night or /alternate with jojoba oil, which is only one ingredient and least likely to clog or cause irritation on nights off
- Don't use a face brush for cleansing --use either fingertips or a soft washcloth in order to avoid aggressive sloughing that can cause irritation or overstimulate oil production (read:milia)
- Apply 2 or more hours after cleansing to avoid irritation/stinging
- Avoid applying at the corners of nose and eyes, where it can collect and over- exfoliate

I found this at drugstore.com. It's a little hard to find in my area otherwise. The price ($10) is outstanding for a product of this type. It's not over fragranced, either (the glycolic acid smells faintly like Elmer's glue, but does not linger for long).

on 1/18/2015 6:40:00 AM

I bought this because I couldn't get my HG MD Forte cleanser anymore. And I read MUA reviews that were positive. This is a great value. I can only use this once a week otherwise my skin gets too dry. I apply at night for overnight, then use washcloth in the shower to remove, and voila, no more dull skin. AHA and use of sunscreen seem to be helping fade spots for me though it has taken years for it to be noticeable - just be patient if this is your goal, it will work over time