October 26, 2014 | 1529 users online

Moisturizers - Aveeno - Hydrocortisone Anti-Itch Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2013 11:46:00 AM More reviews by TashShawnaDoeman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really love the Hydrocortisone Ant- Itch Cream. It has been the solution for jellyfish sting, ant itch, mosquito bites and even cow itch. It does not only alleviate the itching sensation but it also reduces whatever swelling you had due to the insect bite or itch. But most importantly, it was how fast it started working after it was applied, less than 3 hours, I have felt it to start alleviate my itches. So whether it is an insect bite, or a skin allergic reaction, hydrocortisone cream is what I use to counteract it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2013 4:45:00 PM More reviews by Northstar5

This review is really for any hydrocortisone cream from the drugstore. I really can't believe how effective this has been for my breakout prone sensitive skin. My face is usually clear but I set off a vicious cycle when I washed my face with coconut oil and ended up with huge breakouts. A month later, my skin keeps fluctuating between dry and irritated (from SA and BP) to broken out (tried every kind of oil and it just made the breakouts worse for me). After reading an article about hydrocortisone (HC) I rubbed it onto my face two nights in a row---I kid you not, the stuff pretty much made the breakouts vanish. They are soooo much smaller now, and all the irritation is gone. I put a thin film of calamine lotion on the first night to calm down irritation and together they have worked like a charm. Who knew. This combo will be my go-to fix for breakouts or sensitivity flare-ups. I can't believe things I usually have in my home pharmacy kit turned out to be the answer after a month of freaking out and trying every product known to man. I used max-strength Cortaid with aloe.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2013 11:26:00 PM More reviews by pcsnoopy28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have eczema and sensitive skin and use this on occasion to tame any irritation along with a prescription non-steroid cream. I only use this for 3-4 days maximum because as another reviewer mentioned, you can actually develop steroid rosacea from using a steroid cream for a prolonged period of time on your skin. No dermatologist would recommend using this for extended periods. It is no joke, I actually developed it a few years ago, starting off with cortisone and using a stronger steroid later on when the cortisone stopped working. Basically, it is like your skin gets addicted to the steroid cream and develops an extreme inflammatory reaction the second you stop using, in a sense creating a vicious cycle. On top of that steroid rosacea develops with horrible acne. When this happened to me a few years ago, I had to go on antibiotics and go through painful "withdrawal" on my face, which consisted of extreme itching, swelling and peeling that I wouldn't wish on my enemy. Because this it otc, I think a lot of people do not realize this can happen when used on the face for long periods....just be cautious.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2012 2:52:00 PM More reviews by happymerlot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

This is my favorite hydrocortisone creme. I get a little atopic dermatitis sometimes on my chest, and a little eczema on my neck, and this calms things down within minutes. Works well on mosquito bites and random irritations, too.

I know it's not good to use hydrocortisone for more than a few days consecutively, but this works so well I've never needed to use it that long. It's good to have around in case I use or do something that doesn't agree with my skin.

Contains no fragrance or propylene glycol (two things that are known irritants for me), which is another bonus.

However, it does contain oat ingredients, so do a spot test (not someplace already irritated, obviously) if you are sensitive to gluten.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/27/2010 9:58:00 PM More reviews by elsaanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Be careful using cortisone (any brand) on your face. It can cause perioral dermatitis (a sort of inflammatory acne-like condition), and can worsen other skin conditions (such as rosacea). This is not some sort of woo woo new age phoney-baloney theory. This is an absolutely established, orthodox medical fact. Check out your favorite medical reference book on perioral dermatitis, or ask your doctor. I understand that many people use it with no problems, and I’m not saying everyone will have a bad reaction, but some people will. Obviously hydrocortisone can be useful, but, personally, I wouldn’t use it unless a doctor I trusted told me to.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2009 12:57:00 PM More reviews by definesinister

Aveeno... where have you been all my life? This is better than BP... don't know so much on fading spots but 75% is cleared bc of this stuff. For some reason I switched my moisturizer lately to neutrogena's oil free fresh face... bad idea since it had so much silicone in it. HAD the worst breakout on my forehead and side of my cheeks for the first time since i first used mac foundations. After buying this ... the bumps have died down... it also stopped two from coming around. I am overall pleased with finding this as a otc reliever. I actually am trying to wean myself out the bp faze and use this instead... works wonderful! I can't say enough of this stuff... and it has a generous amount considering it is otc... whereas otc bp is not so generous....

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2008 2:56:00 AM More reviews by sosuga

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I do not use this particular brand, but I do use hydrocortisone to spot-treat pimples. The topical steroid is a no-fail when it comes to overnight fixer-uppers on my spotty skin. I've been using it for years, i know its not the greatest considering ...but its always worked for me so I cant stray. As a spot treat its great and I used it last year when my detergent gave me a horrible rash and yet again it came to my rescue. Awesome product, even if you just buy the store brand.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2008 10:16:00 PM More reviews by ShellyMtz

I bough this after my BE disaster. I was left with a horrible rash all over my face. This took care of that within 2 days.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2008 10:56:00 PM More reviews by desertwaya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

last summer my daughter broke out into a rash on her palms and the doc said to use a hydrocortisone cream so i picked this up after trying benadryl w/ no success. this stuff worked! so now this is the only brand i buy for itches and rashes. ive never had any problems that this didnt fix. fantastic stuff and i always keep a tube or two around the house.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2008 8:01:00 AM More reviews by bibiancheng

I don't see this one works better than the one I got from costco, just fancier packaging.