MAC Viva Glam I - the original

4.6

Octyldodecanol, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Silica, Tricaprylyl Citrate, Ozokerite, Isononyl Isononanoate, Paraffin, Phenyl Trimethicone, Microcrystalline Wax\Cera Microcristallina\Cire Microcristalline, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax\Cera Carnauba\Cire De Carnauba Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Vanillin, Acrylates Copolymer, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Stearyl Stearoyl Stearate [ /- Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine, Red 6, Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Red 21 Lake, Red 28 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Red 33 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 lake, Yellow 10 Lake]

on 7/24/2015 4:48:00 AM

This is SO beautiful. Applies perfectly and the colour payoff is amazing. Everything about this lipstick is stunning. I believe it would be flattering on all skin tones.

This lipstick of course being MAC is a little pricey so if you don't want to fork out the cash for it go have a look at Maybelline bold matte in MAT6 (deep red) it is almost an exact dupe for the Viva Glam I original the only difference is it takes a few coats of the Bold Matte to get the same colour payoff as one coat of VVG I from MAC

on 7/18/2015 4:25:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I never thought I'd suit a dark red lip, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is the Original MAC Viva Glam from the 90's and it's still popular today. I think that says a lot about the product.
I think it's the kind of shade that would suit a lot of people. It's a lovely rich red.

It is matte, and could have a tendency to feel dry on lips, but this can be resolved with a balm or primer. I'd recommend using it with a lipliner (my personal favourite is MAC Brick) to define the lips and avoid "bleeding".

i feel amazing and confident when I wear this lipstick, and I've been complimented on it lots. It's worth the price tag. Plus as it's Viva Glam, the money goes to the MAC AIDS fund. Bonus!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I typically don't wear red lip colors except for this little gem. Its a gorgeous deep red that doesn't look clownish or cheap. The matte formula lasts an average of 6 hours without moving or fading. MAC brick liner is perfect with it, if you like to sculpt your lips to perfection.

on 7/4/2015 9:25:00 PM

My go to favourite. I can wear this one all day without a touch up. It fades evenly and I don't need a lip liner with it. It does have a faint waxy odour but I don't find it unpleasant, just that it's there. It is a matte lipstick, so not for everyone but I adore it.

on 6/6/2015 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

It was the fall of 2011; I was right out of high school, in my first relationship with a guy I still love to this day, I was brighter, fresher, and skinnier- I was on top of the world. To celebrate my first year at uni, I ran to my nearest MAC counter at The Bay in downtown Winnipeg...just google the store and you'll see that she's a real beauty.
Anyway..it was my first time at MAC and I was nervous and a little intimidated, but I came in with a plan; I needed a red lippie dammit and boy did I get one. I often think that the first makeup I got/received is the best of its kind. My first foundation, concealer, lipstick, etc...they're all gems. Maybe I was wiser back then, I don't know what it is, but this product is second to none.

Pros:
1- Colour: This isn't "ox-blood", cherry, merlot, or any other word you can find for "red" this is simply just red. I initially thought that it was a blue tone, but I've started to think that it's more on the neutral side. In terms of red, I believe cool=blue, warm=orange, and neutral= pink. When used very sheerly, this is pink-ish but it still looks red. It's a universally flattering red that's not too dark or not too light and IMO it can be used on all skin tones. Ladies (and gents) I've been in the situation where I've had a lippie that looks too pink or too black and it is not pretty. Buy this lippie and save the trouble of not looking like a train wreck when wearing red. PS: this is a colour for the confident woman (or man); one that will make you look and feel very sexy.

2- Matte-ness: It's matte. Not satin. Not gloss. No just matte. A beautiful matte too, one that has dimension. Unlike a limecrime liquid lippie that makes your lips look almost fuzzy and powdery, this one makes your lips look plump, healthy and rounded.

3-Application: the formula of this is dry and it slightly tugs on the lips. So why is this a pro? Personally I like a bold lippie that is a bit on the dry side since it gives me greater control. Because of the dryness, it's not migrating all over my lips or outside my lip line and it makes it soooo much easier to apply. I have a creamy red-matte lipstick that I adore, but getting it on the lips is a pain since it gets everywhere. Look at it like this: if you were painting a geometric shape that had very straight and precise lines, you would want a thick paint versus a thin one that runs all over the canvas and ruins the shape. Hope that analogy helps...
**BTW, this lipstick softens quite a bit in hot weather, so make sure you keep it somewhere cool and dry.

4-Longevity: I put this on at 8 am and by 1 pm it wasn't looking so hot, which in all honesty is expected. What impressed me was that by 1 pm I could still see it. It obviously didn't look as great as it initially did, but it was still presentable. Because of the matte formula, it flaked up my lips ever so slightly, but I also have allergies and very dry lips (this was also the dead of winter in Winnipeg...which is like sticking your head in a freezer all day..it gets to about -40 Celsius)

5- Scent/Packaging: After 4 years of holding onto this lippie the lid still fits!! After countless times of closing and opening the lid, it has only loosened ever so slightly. The package is a chic dark grey bullet with a red band in the middle; once you open up the lipstick, the inside bullet is red also. The packaging is heavy and sturdy; something that you could throw at someone and it will hurt (I dont condone violence). Also this lippie is a stinker, but in the best way possible. Remember those wafer cookies you would get at grade school that came in vanilla, strawberry or chocolate? This one reminds me sooooo much of the vanilla one. It's delicious really, but if you have a sensitive (or scentsative...see what I did there?) I would most definitely look into these before buying. Don't be afraid to just go up to a MAC counter, bust open a lippie and give it a whiff; I've been there and I've done that. Ps: take a look at the note below if you are scent-sensitive.

Con:
Price: At ~$25 CAD this was a tough buy, but still worth it. It's a good treat every now and then, not something I would go to every time I need a new lipstick (which is every week.) I forgot to mention, all proceeds from the Viva glam line go to MAC aids fund...so buying this wasn't so bad after all :)

Overall: Is this love? I would say so. If you're in the market for a fabulous, confidence-inducing, sexy red lippie, this is the one for you. And if anyone asks why you spent 1/4 of $100 on ONE lipstick, you simply tell them it was for charity and then instantly befriend them because friends don't question other friends lipstick purchases, right? Right.

****IMPORTANT: if you have NARS cruella this is the exact same colour. Slight different formula and Nars cruella IS not scented.

on 4/3/2015 10:07:00 AM

I needed a good retro looking deep red.
Ruby Woo, she didn't work for me, she went too blue red on me.
I needed darker deeper.
So I dropped what to me is a ridiculous amount of money for a lipstick on this.
Annd yeah, it totally delivered.

There probably isn't much I can say that hasn't been said dozens of times by others.
It is a very drying formula. So exfoliate and moisturize prior to application.
And I mean it.
Exfoliate.
Put on a moisturizing lip balm with some staying power (honestly, with MAC, I use ChapStick, and it works like a charm) and then wipe it off a little (not a lot, you just don't want slidey lips)
And then apply.
And this is a red that you can apply from the tube. In fact I recommend it. Because trying to use a lip brush to get a good solid cover with this is not much fun.
Use steady hand (or line your lips first and then soften the line if your hand isn't steady)
Blot on a piece of paper (trust me) and then apply again and blot.
That lip, it isn't going anywhere.

So yeah. Dark Sexy Red.

on 1/17/2015 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Amazing red lipstick! I have nothing like it. I have a warm skin tone and I was worried it would be too blue based/cool-toned or possibly be unflattering but it wasn't at all. I wouldn't call this a brick red since on me it doesn't show up that way. The hue is definitely a brighter red, on the cooler side-most of my red lipsticks are brownish in tone but this is way brighter. The matte texture makes it look very classic, reminds me of old Hollywood. Staying power, being matte, is great. If you want moisture and creaminess then you probably wouldn't like this. But seriously- think pin-up, statement-making, and bold. Snow White. Your lips will stand out with this one!! Love it- had the reddest lips in the room when I went to a wedding! Oh and it made my teeth look whiter. Awesome.

on 1/14/2015 6:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Vg1 is such a beautiful deep dark red. I thought russian red was my hg red until I found vg1. This lippy is a little darker than russian red with russian red being more on the bright side. Overall, Vg1 is a sexy and classic shade!

on 12/14/2014 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The best red on me. Doesn't look clownish, just a great neutral, somewhat browned red that doesn't make your teeth look yellowish, the way blue reds can do. It's practically the only red lipstick I wear. The finish is semi-matte. If you apply it with a brush, it's very good for day, and you can layer it on and I think there is (not sure if it's always available) a matching lipglass for night drama. This lipstick makes me feel happy. And the profits go to AIDS research, which no matter your politics, is beneficial to all people. A bonus.

on 10/21/2014 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This lipstick is the perfect blue toned lipstick for me, because it has some brown tones which make it a deeper red that's perfect for any season, but especially fall. I l think this red could look good on almost any skintone( Im nc37-40 for reference). Its more of a retro and classic shade compared to ruby woo and russian red, which are brighter/ funner reds in my opinion.

Recommended for Medium Skin