October 2, 2014 | 976 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Viva Glam I - the original

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2014 2:41:00 PM More reviews by Sapphirecoqui

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

My favorite so far of the Viva Glam collection! It's a matte brick red on me. I could honestly sit here and write a book about how awesome this color is. If you love reds or want to try a nice dark red, but not too dark, grab this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2014 3:08:00 AM More reviews by ASH1337

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It wasn't love at first sight. I tried this on in the store, and didn't love it right away. I thought it was too dramatic, too deep, too whatever. I kept it on and wore it through the mall and every time I passed a mirror, I began to really love the color. My face seemed brighter and the color faded for a much less dramatic effect. I didn't end up buying a tube that day, but I sure came back a week later to get it. I work in a dimly lit restaurant at night, and this is my most-used shade.

VG1 is a brownish-red that leans cool. I am warm-toned and Russian Red did not work for me at all. This one however, is just brown enough to not make me look like a clown. It IS matte and it IS slightly drying. However, for a MAC matte lipstick, I don't find this to be particularly long-lasting. I have to reapply every couple hours in order to keep it as deep a color that I want.

100% of proceeds go to the MAC AIDS Fund! Hopefully I will find another shade from the Viva Glam line that I like so that I can keep contributing to this cause. Otherwise, VG1 is a shade I can honestly recommend to most women since it is (mostly) universally flattering.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2014 9:00:00 PM More reviews by hottahitilover

love this and I thought it would be too dark its not it's perfect.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2014 9:23:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

LORD HAVE MERCY!!!! I LOVE THIS SHADE!

When I purchased this, it was my very first MAC lipstick, and I am so happy it was. I usually go for a neutral shade, but this time I wanted something bold. HOWEVER I was not looking to go crazy, I was still sticking to my comfort zone, and I LOVE a classic red lip, so that's what I was in the market for. I passed up Ruby Woo right away, it's notorious for being drying and I struggle with dry lips, so I was not prepared for that just yet. I also didn't want a creme sheen, I just wanted to stick to something matte. The lady helping me went through many shades that didn't speak to me, BUT THEN, she swatched Viva Glam 1.

It was then that the heavens opened wide over that humble MAC counter. It was as if Jesus himself descended on a cloud, and handed me a solid gold MAC bullet engraved "Viva Glam 1" And said, "This is it, Hayley. This is the one." I saw the light that day, and I have never looked back ladies and gentlemen.

The very moment the sample of this lipstick touched my lips, I KNEW it was the one. This was the shade I was proud to call my first ever MAC lipstick. The lipstick went on FLAWLESSLY and it was a perfect shade for me, not so much a classic red, but more of a cool toned, with a hint of brown actually. I wouldn't dare say it looked "vampy", but maybe a step down from a vampy lip. The MAC employees sang the praises of this lipstick, talking about how gorgeous I looked. As the compliments surrounded me, I thought to myself "I know you ladies are just saying these things so I'll buy the product, but PLEASE go on!" I bought the shade immediately and pranced around the mall, knowing I made the best decision.

To this day I am proud to own this lip shade. Not only was my very first MAC lipstick purchase a Viva Glam (Which as everyone knows, is a very charitable purchase), but it is just an amazing shade for me. The staying power is great, I can eat, drink, and be merry, and this lipstick will not budge. 9+ hours of wear and my lipstick is STILL going strong. The color on the lips is very true to shade, and it stays the same color, so you don't have to worry about it fading into a different shade. The smell is beautiful, and I adore it. It is not too drying, which I was super excited about. It photographs exceptionally.

When I bought this, I had never spent over $10 on a lipstick, but because of the brand I was MORE than willing to shell out $16.50. However, now I am willing to pay the money not because of the brand name, but because I know it is actually worth the money you pay. I have purchased a couple more lipstick shades from MAC since this one, and I have yet to be disappointed.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2014 4:37:00 PM More reviews by harmony7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have finally found a true matte red for my skintone! VG1 is an intense deep red with brown undertones that is the perfect red on my NC50 skintone. I pair it with Brick lipliner to add extra color and to help it last longer. The staying power of this lipstick is strong. Even though it is matte, it is not as drying as I feared it would be, but I do wear lip balm under it. I'm dark enough that this color can be worn during the day and I also like to wear it for other occasions as well. I highly recommend VG1 for dark skinned girls who want a matte red that won't make you look like a clown.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2014 10:43:00 PM More reviews by bunniluv88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a beautiful shade of red.I wear this shade when I go out,because it is a little too strong for a daytime lip color look for work.I highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2014 3:10:00 AM More reviews by stella0r

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This one's safe for those who want to give red lips a try. Amazing texture and suits most skintones. It's one of my favorites.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 6:59:00 PM More reviews by nataliecrack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I think this is the best red shade from the entire MAC lipstick collection.

It is a slightly brownish blood red with cool undertones and it looks AMAZING.

I used to be a hardcore Ruby Woo fan but i got tired of it, and then i remembered i had Viva Glam I in my collection but never used it. Wow. I felt the joy of redescovering an amazing matte red lipstick i never knew before.

It is creamy and opaque and feels like a dream.

It is borderline vampy, could be a bit similar to NARS's Fire Down Below (although FDB is a bit darker), and definitely pinup-y.

I have a yellowish NC20 skin and it looks amazing on me, always receive compliments.

I have almost finished my tube and I can't wait to buy a second one. Might even go get my second buller tomorrow. Can't wait!

Definitely recommended. Plus, the Viva Glam collection supports a good cause. Go get yours today!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2014 12:35:00 PM More reviews by SimpleNSexy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ah, the original Red. MAC is the fave brand for when I feel like splurging on lipsticks so I had to try it.

I know that MAC Mattes are notorious for drying on the lips but I haven't had that problem with this little gem. It's a rich brick blue-red with a subtle hints of brown undertones. I don't have any lipstick that can dupe this so well done, MAC. I think that anyone can wear this, even if you are super fair-skinned with the complexion of a ghost as long as you tone down the other parts of your makeup. This is the lippie I grab for if I'm having a fancy dinner or something.

Like any other MAC lip products, it smells strongly of sweetened vanilla and the bullet tube has a bit of a sheen to it.

Just get it for charity :D

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2014 9:53:00 PM More reviews by kaisofine

I love this color. This is my first red lipstick! This is also my first matte lipstick, as well. The color is like Ruby Woo but with a brown tint, plus it's not as dry. Heads turn when I wear this color! That's never happened with other Mac colors. Even the girls be lookin'....lol. I love this color.