September 22, 2014 | 1940 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - All Brushes

rated 1 of 5 on 1/30/2013 6:09:00 PM More reviews by ColleenShirley

The blush brush is absolutely terrible. It is scratchy, sheds, and just feels cheap despite the price. I feel like many other reviews may simply want to like their brushes after spending money on them, and assume they are of a high quality because they are MAC.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2011 4:08:00 PM More reviews by Amber814

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

These brushes are great! Soft, nice design and great quality.They have so many different sizes, shapes to choose from , which is nice, but they are expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2010 5:17:00 AM More reviews by Tiffydoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

These brush sets are a must have, if you love applying makeup.
Brushes are soft with soft bristles, and applies makeup on smoothly, especially loose powders and blushes.
The eye brushes are great, great for smudging on and blending out.
the foundation brush is probably my favourite as it applies makeup liquid on very smoothly and looks flawless.
they are dear, but i got mine over ebay for a good deal.
they last a long time if you can take care of them, good thing is to wash it with mild dish washing liquid so the hairs wont fall out or get damaged. air dry is best. good products as you can tell with the cheap brushes they make a difference on the way you look and apply makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2010 4:21:00 AM More reviews by MissMed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Mac brushes are really good quality and last such a long time. It is definitely worth spending the money on expensive brushes that do the job well and last than wasting money, time and effort on cheap brushes (unless you are prepared to do some good research and hunting around for cheaper dupes that do the job, which I am sure exist).

However, it is better to buy the brushes individually than in the set - brushes in the set tend to be of poorer quality. Also be careful of buying MAC brushes from eBay as there are many fakes out there, especially when people try to sell the brushes in large sets, as normally, I believe, MAC sets consist of 5 brushes (there was once a limited edition set of 8 brushes) whereas eBay sellers will even have sets of 32! Obviously there's something wrong when a set of 32 is being sold for around the same price as a single MAC brush. At the end of the day, it's better to just buy them individually from the counter or their online store to save yourself the grief.

Lastly, I haven't had any complaints about how the brushes do their job, but I would be happier, like reviewer ceciliathegreat, if MAC would package the brushes better and have them sealed with caps rather than in plastic slips. Also, I find that over time the letters and brush number wears off (fairly quickly). I apply a thin coat of clear nailpolish or nailpolish base over the label to prevent this from happening.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2008 1:42:00 AM More reviews by ilovepink82

Mac brushes are the BEST!!

I cannot afford them individually so bought most of mine in holiday sets, they are just as good as the normal ones. I only have one regular one!

There is only one face brush that I would not get again, its the basic face brush in the holiday basic brush set. I used it for about 6 months with a Mac powder and its completely destroyed and had a lot of fallout too!

But all the other ones are just PERFECT!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 5:05:00 PM More reviews by ceciliathegreat

MAC has a great selection of different professional brushes, however, the quality really varies and depends on WHICH brush you buy (I am NOT talking about the introductory brushes that you can get in a pack during summer or the holidays, but rather the full size ones). Sometimes even the brushes of the same kind/number will have slight differences in quality, especially the synthetic ones (the white hairs vary the most). Of course, I know they're handmade, but when some hairs are bent or kinked out of shape, or after washing them the hairs don't keep their shape, you know there's a problem. The best ones with consistent quality are their natural haired brushes imo.
Now I mostly buy MAC's eye brushes and own 3/4 of all that's available. The left over 1/4 are usually too big or unsuitable for my asian eyes which tend to be smaller and need more precision. Of the ones that I do own, in comparison, I prefer Lancome and Chanel's brushes cuz they're softer and assembled better when you look at them closely. Too bad Lancome and Chanel only offer very common e/s brushes, so MAC fills in the spot for when I need to do more intricate and professional eye makeup lol.
As for face brushes, I only have MAC's 181 now. I personally think that I don't need to do a whole lot of tricks on my face as compared to my eyes, besides, I prefer sponges to pat on my foundation and loose powders, so I'm not really into face brushes. However, I do use blush and do some highlighting and prefer Lancome's blush brush (6) (Chanel's has too short handles, and I don't like MAC's packaging if I'm spending 50$+++). Then I use MAC's 181 to blend everything really well.

PACKAGING: is really important to me!!! and MAC's is generally poor! Every MAC brush that I've bought came in a clear plastic wrap that's not even sealed!!! No box either and only a few has a brush "cap" to protect the bristles (and I lost my 210's... so I'm super scared of damaging its teeny tiny hairs!). Besides these external packaging, wooden handles of MAC's brushes seem kinda cheap.... I dunno, I like heavier ones which give better control. I would rather pay 5-10$ more if MAC had better packaging, otherwise it just seems like they're trying to cut costs (I understand they're trying to be environmentally friendly, but I personally would never cut back on anything if it's related to my face...)
Lancome has the best packaging in general imo: has even a cellophane wrap over the box and every brush comes with it's own protective cap; the wooden handles and quality are similar to Chanel's.

PRICING: Affordable. They're definitely the cheapest of all the department store brands.
Recommendation: buy all the brushes INDIVIDUALLY! Like I said before, their quality can vary and is definitely not super top class, so the brush sets are even worse. It's fine to buy the set if you're just beginning, but I've heard stories that the colours are dyed, fade, hairs fall out...etc. I tried some of them out at the counter and most are definitely not dense or firm enough. I also asked the MAC artists and they said that the brush sets are not handmade, but rather machine-assembled... so ya, I'd rather spend 200$ to get every individual brush rather than waste like 1/3 of this money (usually they're about 70$ where I live including taxes) on average quality ones.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2008 2:35:00 AM More reviews by flymestza

MAC brushes do tend to be a bit pricey but I would have to say the majority of them are. The #224 brush is my all time favorite. This blends your shadows so well and can make your application look flawless. Not to mention they last forever if you take really good care of them.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2008 7:45:00 AM More reviews by anglomania86

They might be expensive but they are totally worth it. They are super soft and will last you a lifetime. There is such a huge range to choose from and there will be something for whatever make up look that you want to achieve. The full sized ones are handmade and the SE ones are mass manufactured. I have both kinds and I like both just the same. If you're starting out, I would get a SE collection because they're cheaper and you can see how you like them! That's what started my collection anyway! Cons? Once you buy one you will want the whole collection!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2008 10:57:00 PM More reviews by tstgirl

mac has the best overall brushes. they have several types of brushes for every job and you're bound to find one that you'll love. they are expensive but compare to other expensive brands, you can't go wrong with mac. there are other brands that are as good as mac but maybe just one or two brushes from that line whereas mac's has it all in my opinion. i don't like the short handled ones though, i would suggest you wait and save up for the full sized ones. once you're used to using the real thing, you can't turn back. the only thing i hate are the numbers coming off, i mean what's up with that?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2008 5:33:00 PM More reviews by beemoody

A few months ago I bought MAC Blushcreme in Lilicent (see my review) and the Stippling Brush #187 that the MUA used to apply it. The blush was maybe $20 but the Brush was about $45 USD. I thought that was pretty expensive and I rated it a 4 b/c of its limited use (and expense), but I LOVE the brush!

I love the way the blushcreme goes on - you only need to touch the tips of the brush to the creme to have it pick up some color - and it is a breeze at blending. I'm so glad that I bought it!!!!

This is the only MAC brush I own, but I will certainly consider buying more in the future. Compared to my other brushes, the majority of which are Bare Escentuals, this one is soft and lost way fewer bristles. I like it better actually!!!