September 30, 2014 | 1686 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - Light Elements Smoothing Fluid

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by LexiClarice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used a little under a quarter size of this product after washing and conditioning my hair and my fingers were just gliding through my hair. It imparted some shine I have no flyaways. Recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2013 11:31:00 PM More reviews by Rebeccajw

I got a sample of this recently with a Nordstrom order, and having always loved Aveda products, I gave it a try. I recently started using my flat iron again, and this has come in handy. It's a great product. It keeps my hair from becoming dry and frizzy from heat products, and really does give it a lot of shine. As with all Aveda products, the smell of Light Elements is very nice. I got a small travel-sized tube, and using it every day, it probably lasted the better part of a month. So even though it's a bit pricey, I'd say you get your money's worth.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2013 12:38:00 PM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Someday I'll learn that shiny hair serums are a waste of time and money for my poofy, 2b/c, bsl, highlighted blonde hair, cut in long layers. As far as smoothing serums and MY hair go, this is a better product, although not one I'll buy a full size bottle of: 3.4 oz for $27. It just doesn't make that big of a difference in my hair, or do much more than what coconut oil can do.

While the roots of my hair are so well behaved that any shine/smoothing serums are icing on the cake, my ends are all sorts of textured, frizzy-poof. I prefer to apply this on the ends of my hair when dry...second or third day hair when the dry shampoo from my roots seems to matte out any shine at all, all the way to the ends (my curls/waves just don't work well with any sort of product after being freshly washed). For me, with all shine serums or oils, I have to wait about 10 min before it really sinks into my hair and looses that oily look...this is no different. While it didn't exactly tame my frizzy ends or add *!SHINE!* to them shine...it did seem to help them calm down. Meh.

So while actual performance wasn't anything special, the stuff itself was more likable than many hair serums. It's oily, but it feels sort of like a dry oil infused with a little bit of silicone. I know jack about ingredients so I can't comment on those. The scent is light and pleasant, sort of a fresh lemon-lavender that gets lost once applied. Packaging is a pump bottle, unless you get a sample, as I did, which is a tiny squeeze tube.

I say if you're into shine serums and you have the type of hair that gets along well with this general type of product, give it a shot; it seems like the nicest smoothing/shine serum I've tried. However, for me, while I'm glad to have tried it out, it's just wasted effort, so I won't purchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2013 1:00:00 AM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Another one of my Aveda HG's. I've been using this for years and have repurchased many times. My hair is fine/dense/wavy and it's hard to find a serum that can control frizz while not weiging my hair down. This serum manages both and smells wonderful. I can use it after I blowdry and flat iron or I can use it on damp hair when I airdry. It's got silicones in it which protect from heat and jojoba oil to moisturize. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2013 1:35:00 PM More reviews by erinetcetera

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HG. I use this every single day, after my flat iron. Makes hair shiny and soft but never greasy. It is perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by alypagz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I find that this is the best shine and frizz taming product in my collection. I have tried alot of stuff over the years and this one is my favorite. It does not make my hair greasy and adds just the right amount of weight to seal the frizz and flyaways.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/12/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Dancetoittoday

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Not a fan - expensive, doesn't live up to it's description, makes hair greasy. Expected alot more for what I paid.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2012 4:06:00 PM More reviews by kimmie578

I use this in my damp hair before I blow dry my wavy hair straight. I heat style my hair a lot and the ends tend to get a little frazzled so I also will apply this on dry hair on the ends and throughout for added shine and to smooth the ends down. This product is great for adding shine to your hair and for keeping my blow out to look sleeker. Gotta be careful how much you use though...it is kinda oily and too much will make your hair look ick. Two pumps on damp hair, and 1 pump on dry hair is just the right amount.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/20/2011 9:12:00 AM More reviews by judibean

I've been using this to weigh my fine hair down at the ends and to add shine. It usually does both pretty well. I use two squirts for my shoulder length hair. On dry winter days; however, this isn't enough. The air just sucks the moisture out of my hair and the ends get that flyaway look. This winter, I am using a combo of this fluid and a styling cream on the ends.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2011 11:59:00 PM More reviews by missymarissa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this. Have had the same bottle for a year now and looking forward to another year, maybe 2, of shiny, herbal smelling hair. It's actually an amazing value for how much you get considering a bottle could last you 2 or 3 years. It's perfect for smoothing but not weighing down, exactly what it says it does. Like most Aveda products, i'm in love with the smell of this. Lavender with a touch of bergamont. Aveda is my favorite hair care line, I wish I could afford to use all of thier products!