July 25, 2014 | 1804 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Physicians Formula - Color Corrective Primer - green

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2014 2:39:00 PM More reviews by azncrow7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For reference, I'm about NC20-25 depending on the season with a fair amount of redness in my skin naturally. I also range from combo to oily depending on the season. I've gone through two of these primers in the green tone.

This is a light minty green primer that comes out with the consistency of a fairly thick lotion/cream, not at all like silicon primers which I feel make me too oily. While this isn't particularly moisturizing or oil-controlling, I find that it does not dry me out and it actually helps my skin get less oily (4-5 hours before noticeable oil compared to my usual 2-3 hours) which I appreciate a lot since I can get very oily. It boosts the staying power and also helps smooth out the skin slightly, but I really love that it truly neutralizes the redness in my skin without giving me a strange green cast that I often get with other color-correcting primers/concealers/etc. I have often simply used this primer for reducing redness and topping it off with a very light coverage powder, since I feel comfortable with the final result of noticeably diminished redness. It also doesn't hurt that it contains physical sunblock for its SPF 15. I have sensitive skin, and I detect no fragrance from the primer. I have never broken out from this primer.

Unfortunately, the packaging is the worst part of the product. It would be wonderful to get this formula in a tube instead, since this product has a slightly thick consistency that makes it difficult to "click" out of the brush applicator. I also don't feel it's very hygenic, so I usually swipe the product onto my fingers instead of using the brush. The brush itself is decent; not scratchy in any way and can do the job well if you want the use the brush. The container itself is very opaque, making it difficult to gauge how much of the product is left. There's probably also a lot of wasted product with this type of packaging. While there is no risk of spillage, I find it too bulky to travel with.

The price is quite affordable if you can grab it on sale or even on clearance. I've spent between $3-6 on this, which I think is well worth it. Since it is one of the most effective redness reducing primers I've used, I would say that it is even worth the full price if you can find it. This might be getting discontinued, but I would definitely repurchase if I find it. This would be great for sensitive skin with slight to moderate redness.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/11/2014 1:40:00 AM More reviews by meggers88

I got this for $1 at cvs (combination of a sale and extra bucks). I actually kind of like it. I have fair skin with redness on my cheeks, nose and chin. This neutralizes the redness a lot. It kind of gives a whitish cast to my face before I put on makeup but I can no longer see the redness. If I wear a foundation I'm pretty much good to go, otherwise the redness comes back through my bb cream by late afternoon. But, no matter what the foundation or bb cream always wears off the tip and bridge of my nose. So not a great primer. More of a corrector.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2013 1:18:00 AM More reviews by Melbot

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in LOVE with this primer. It is not too green, it is not oily and it smooths out my pores like no other primer. I use Tarte foundation and this primer saves me money because I can now use my foundation as a concealer too. It's very affordable. I will never use any other primer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2013 11:24:00 PM More reviews by Jolly_C

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This primer is meant to reduce redness, and but it is pretty awful at what it was created for: It doesn't even reduce redness that well and causes a whitish cast on the face that can't be masked by a darker foundation. It's okay as a primer for foundation. HOWEVER, I am giving it five stars because I have found that it is a good undereye primer. For the longest time, I had issues with my undereye concealers creasing or looking dry (even with moisturizers of various consistencies--lightweight ones, thicker ones, petroleum-based ones, silicone-based ones--eye creams, etc.) I was at a point where I thought I couldn't wear undereye concealer anymore because it was aging me, and I'd rather look like I hadn't slept than look like I was twice my age. Yes, it was that bad. One day I got desperate and put this primer underneath my concealer to reduce the blueness from my very bad undereye circles.

So far, I've been using this for about more than half a year, and it's the best out of all of the different methods I tried. My undereye concealer still creases, but with the primer, I would say the concealer performance--when it comes to color fading, becoming more dry, creasing--has improved by 80%. I think this product is way too expensive and the packaging is just ridiculous (I pluck out the brush bristles, twist the tube so it releases the primer, and then put about two or three pea drops in a little jar weekly), but if you get it on sale, I think it's definitely worth a try if you've tried just about everything to make your undereye concealer look less dry/ crease/ conceal better.

Note: This product has a tendency to *add* moisture. I have combination skin and it made my cheeks and forehead more oily, and also caused my eyeshadow to crease within an hour.

PROS:
- very good undereye primer for concealers if 1) your issue is creasing concealer (from movement) or 2) the concealer looking dry
- works well in cold and hot, humid weather
- works fabulously under Maybelline Age Rewind undereye concealer and MAC Pro Longwear concealer
- the bottle lasts a long time, about 4-6 months, if used as an undereye primer
- green color is negligible if used under any color concealer
- worth a try if eye creams, moisturizers, etc. do not improve the performance of your undereye concealer

CONS:
- does not reduce redness, or any discoloration
- does not work as an eyelid primer to prevent creasing on oily lids
- terrible packaging (tip: pluck out bristles and decant a little primer in a small jar, but don't put too much in because it gets dry and being drier does affect its ability to perform as an undereye primer)
- too expensive

rated 2 of 5 on 9/8/2013 10:27:00 PM More reviews by jhb756

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Works ok as a primer, not sure if it's doing much for color correction. I like the brush but feel like I can't clean it well enough between uses (you twist the bottom of the tube and the cream comes up and out through the brush tip). Texture is good, probably better for normal skin (it's a little drying). I think depending on what someone is looking for, this would be great -- it's convenient, gentle, almost no smell. A decent primer. I'll use mine up but probably won't buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2012 6:43:00 PM More reviews by annikarey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I want to have a green primer to tone down the redness in my face. This primer made my skin burn. It said on the package that it is suitable for sensitive skin. Apparently, there is an ingredient that I'm sensitive to. When I applied it on my face, I noticed a slight smell of cinnamon. After reading countless beauty review sites, I know that a cinnamon-based chemical is used as sunscreen. Maybe that's what the chemical was. The burning happened just a few seconds later. I had to wash it off. It feels like applying peppers to my face. I didn't get a bad rash or peeling skin, but the slight itching is definitely a turn-off. The brush was incredibly awkward to use. As far as the coverage goes, I haven't seen much of a difference at all. Physicians' Formula has more misses than hits. When I was younger, it was a great brand. This primer, along with some other products that Mom and I have tried, is really ruining the company's reputation.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2012 12:06:00 AM More reviews by gdaily

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I used this primer for a long time, and for some reason, I guess I just ran out, so I stopped using it! For almost a year now I've been trying all these other primers just to see if there was anything else out there. I found a few I liked, then started to need concealer a lot over my acne spots. I have always used some, but it was getting ridiculous! Then one day, voila...it came to me! This product alone tones down all the redness in my acne marks that I barely need any concealer! I can't believe I stopped using it and struggled for no reason! Now this is, once again, the best part of my makeup routine. Tones down redness, smoothes my skin, and gives a nice canvas for my makeup! I will forever more have numerous bottles on hand!! P.s. I hate the brush on the end, but I just cut it off and dispense the primer into a little jar!!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2012 9:20:00 AM More reviews by rachellll2014

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this so my rosacea would be less noticeable. It did nothing for it, in fact, it actually made my rosacea look even redder than before.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2012 9:07:00 AM More reviews by NewOrleansLady

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This stuff does nothing for me. I didn't get a waxy consistency like others have said. Mine goes on like a thin moisturizer, and disappears. It in no way helped with the longevity of my foundation, or the little bit of redness I do have.
Somebody actually stole my Monistat Chafing Gel. Either they couldn't find it in a store (It's hard to find here) or they were embarassed to buy their own. I' mgoing to just reorder another one of those online. It's not a redness corrector but it does the job as far as a primer goes.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/10/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by kiraty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

After reading the reviews I HAD to try this. I tested this on the inside of my arm over a red scratch, and it seemed to make it less noticeable! Wonderful! I have some red on my cheeks and forehead, so I was super excited to try it. Unfortunately, it did nothing for the redness in my face. I'm not sure why, because I'm not really that red, I don't notice it in pictures or anything. Maybe I need to use more? But the real disappointment is that by the end of the day I felt 3 giant, under the skin pimples starting...yikes. I really want to try it again, but I don't want to risk breaking out horribly. I even had a pump foundation bottle i was ready to transfer it into :( I may just pass it on to a friend instead.