July 23, 2014 | 1410 users online

Fragrances - Costes by Hotel Costes

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Silverchair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this scent and I am not attracted to woodsy scents at all. I received this in a gift bag from a friend and I have no idea where to purchase it and I don't know how much it costs. At first application it has a heavy cinnamon and spice scent to it. I read a review where someone described it as a chai latte scent. It dries down to what I can only describe as something that reminds me of the woods and ocean. An "aqua woodsy" scent perhaps?I'm not good at describing scents but this is definitely different and definitely unisex--perhaps more on the masculine side and I love that. This is definitely a fall/winter scent and would be overbearing in the summer.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2012 12:11:00 PM More reviews by apparently

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This was suggested to me because I love Tam Dao. I don't get the similarity at all, other than they are both linear and not sweet. Tam Dao is a freight train of cedar and sandalwood, and Costes smells like those cinnamon-scented pinecones that turn up in craft stores in September. Sorta/barely woody with a lot of cinnamon. Not a surprise that this was originally an environmental scent, and it would make a great home scent from Halloween until New Year's. Not offensive in any way, but it's the sort of fragrance people will attribute to your breath lozenge instead of you.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2010 4:12:00 PM More reviews by malika

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This along with tam dao are my all time favorite winter scents. It is woodsy and "cinnaminY"- perfect for cold and blustery days. This is not your average scent and is quite costly, but if you like great aromatics, this is great to try!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2009 9:59:00 PM More reviews by Jill70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this scent, but I already own it in a 10 Corso Como bottle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2009 7:24:00 PM More reviews by Melloney

2012 : I love this scent now - I didn't like it in 2009 . Spicey , aromatic yet cleanish and soapy ,ambient and quite soothing. Lasting power is mediocre but the scent is uber chic .

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2009 3:10:00 AM More reviews by fpih

Spicy, unsweet, room fragrance. More masculine than feminine. Good lasting power, no sillage. Not for me; reminds me of a room freshener, not a perfume to wear.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2008 3:40:00 PM More reviews by jemimagold

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was surprised at how much I did not care for Costes. I admire and own decants of Diptyque's Tam Dao and 10 Corso Como, the two fragrances with which Costes is most typically compared and thought Costes would be a slam dunk. However, I don't find many similarities. Ts to my nose, Costes smells like a big bundle of cinnamon bark, with a bit of cheapish sandalwood/musk thrown into the middle notes. I had to wash it off before the base notes appeared as I was about to gag. Sorry 'bout that! (bad reviewer, bad reviewer!)

I have heard that Hotel Costes liberally scents their entire hotel with their Costes perfume and if that is the case, I think I'll be staying somewhere else next time my travel plans call for Paris.

Here are the notes, per The Perfumed Court: lavender, bay-tree, coriander, white pepper, rose, incense, woods and light musk.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2008 12:45:00 PM More reviews by cclayten

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been wearing Costes by Hôtel Costes for about week now--I can't seem to get enough of it. It reminds me of 10CC (which I also love), but the bay and lavender rounds it out. I spritz this stuff pretty heavily and it lasts all day without ever becoming overbearing.

It's unique, comforting, and very wearable.

Edit: I am in love with everything Costes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2008 9:27:00 PM More reviews by ECMac25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This would make a nice home fragrance...it's a quiet mix of potpourri and incense. It has a brisk sportiness at first spritz and then it mellows down to a creamy cedar. I don't mind smelling this in the air...I wouldn't wear it as a perfume - too masculine overall.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2007 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Gingerbreadgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm so very happy to have a good-sized decant of this via swap - it's a very clean, soapy, spicy sandalwood and I find it pleasantly bracing - a good scent for focusing on something (I'm easily given to daydreaming - the laurel, lavender, and pepper make this scent a promising study buddy, though I'm finding that it sweetens considerably on my skin after a little while, and the sweetness at first contrasts unpleasantly with the intense pine note, and then goes quite incensy. I think comparisons of this to 10 Corso Como are apt - as I mentioned in my review of that one, 10 Corso Como tried to kill me by completely shutting down my respiratory system. Hear that, writers of CSI? Let's have a dead-perfumista episode! Anyway, Costes is much less violent on me. Still far too intense to put on before bed or for romantic wear, but quite nice in its own way.