September 20, 2014 | 1173 users online

Fragrances - Grandiflorum Fragrances - Absinthe

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2012 9:52:00 AM More reviews by BagLady_always

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Herbalicious rootbeer. I love it and have for many years. Perfect for the gloomy, rainy, cool day like today.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2005 8:36:00 PM More reviews by dreamstorm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A fragrance named after absinthe, would, one might think, smell like absinthe, no? I would guess so too, but one never knows in the perfuming world these days. Grandflorium's rendition does indeed carry absinthe's signature anise note, but only for the first 10 or 15 seconds of application. Then it morphs into a lovely orangey, woody, rummy scent, similar to the note found in Gobin Daude's Jardins Ottomans, Montale Patchouli Leaves and Prada. It's a truly yummy, cozy note, and I actually prefer its rendition here to any of those other fragrances, which is why I continue to wear my bottle gladly, despite the incongruous name.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2005 10:57:00 AM More reviews by Ivirginia

a strange brew, I love it! Smells like nothing I've ever smelled before but yet; I find it sooo comforting.... I can even smell the sweet base in this underneath all the odd notes! fbw!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2004 7:18:00 AM More reviews by BritMargy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wormwood with - Dr. Pepper?? There must be an infusion of herbs these two concoctions share as it's simply unmistakable. Then again, my nose is new to all this deciphering so I would doubt myself on that as no one else has mentioned it in these reviews.

The herb wormwood is very strong - musty, almost - and strangely addicting and I detect barely a whisper of that in this fragrance.

However, this is one that I would purchase again because I can see it as a perfect fragrance for a moody, brooding rainy day, drinking oolong tea and reading Byron.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2003 12:26:00 PM More reviews by impishnature

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Warmth comes from the vanilla and orange combo in this, giving it a slight rich sweetness. Those notes aren't dominant--either is absinthe's usually strident herbal-liciousness. Everything combines well (herb and dark sweetness) for a warm scent that would be great for a high-end candle scent, but not enough interest, uniqueness or longevity for me to purchase as a perfume. Weirdly, there's almost a blossom note in the base of this for me, a real turnoff. I agree with an earlier poster--the vanilla is more like heliotrope, which almost (not quite) gives this a gourmand undertone.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2003 2:01:00 PM More reviews by rubykris

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A very pleasant scent all around, but I think the absinthe note should be stronger to justify calling it "Absinthe." I find Black Phoenix's Absinthe to be a truer absinthe scent (in spite of its almost-overpowering lemon note). Also, Grandiflorum's Absinthe dried down to be almost imperceptible on me within an hour or two. Calling to mind the quote (whose author I forget, sorry), "That was SO bad. And there was SO little of it!"

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2002 2:22:00 PM More reviews by MelissaM

Hmm ... now why am I the only one who smells a distinct note of heliotrope in this fragrance! ;) It's nice and vanilla-y, with a woody kick that keeps it from being over-poweringly sweet. Very warm and sensual. This reminds me of when I went to Victoria Island one summer - the heliotrope was in full bloom, and the sweet cup-cakey fragrance was everywhere, combined with the fragrance of the accompanying greenery. Very nice, albeit different, fragrance!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2001 2:17:00 PM More reviews by Cora

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This stuff has a certain delicious quality to it. I consider it more of a cool weather scent, but that is not to say it's excessively spicy or strong. A warm, sweet woody/herbal scent. Notes are from wormwood - the source for absinthe - vanilla, orange, grapefruit, and rosewood. I don't really smell the citrus at all, and it certainly isn't a vanilla scent. Smells like a warm old, woodpaneled library on a wintry day.
Like Venda said, not a girly scent at all. Nevertheless, a warm, round, "friendly" or comforting scent. The bottle is lovely, and the packaging is a sort of book cover into which you put the bottle, very nice. This is definitely a little offbeat and although it lacks the definite gloom and spookiness in a scent like Messe de Minuit, I think it will appeal to the same people.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2001 3:11:00 PM More reviews by Venda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Absinthe - reminiscent of Paris at the turn of the centrury when Impressionists were visiting cabarets Moulin Rouge, Chat Noir, Moulin de la Galette and such.
Very unusual fragrance, definitely not for everyday use.
Absinthe - the infamous green drink - was made from the Wormwood (Artemisia absinthum) and I'm not sure if the fragrance is made of the same. However, very herbal, somewhat woody/ spicy warm feeling. Elegant, with light hand not overpowering, sophisticated, not girly at all. With the right outfit and in the right environment probably devastatingly interesting.
If you are looking for something very unusual, then give it a try.