July 25, 2014 | 1018 users online

Sunscreen - Lancome - UV Expert SPF20

rated 1 of 5 on 2/13/2010 5:50:00 PM More reviews by rodenbach

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Horrible product. It's heavy and clogs pores.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2009 9:59:00 PM More reviews by cara4art

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Right off the bat, I'll just say that I'm posting for first impressions only about this product, not a full review.
I have sensitive skin, and another MUAer sent me some samples of stuff, and this was one of three sunblock samples in the package, so I'm test-driving them to see if any of them will work with my kind of skin.
Anyhow, this is a VERY thick, greasy cream at first(was only able to use 1/8 tsp, not the 1/4 tsp. generally recommended by derms for facial sunblock), and it stays white for a little while on the skin. The white does fade after 20 minutes or so, but you do have to really rub this cream in well. Makeup goes on OK over this, and looks fine on. However, during today, my blush seemed to disappear, and my face had an overall flat, somewhat matte appearance, even though I wear a slightly luminizing foundation. Will try this again tomorrow to see what happens. So far it doesn't burn or irritate though, which is good. As far as whether I'd actually purchase this product, highly doubtful, as it is very expensive(like $35 for a bottle)and for that kind of money, it would have to really be the HG of facial sunblocks.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2009 1:20:00 PM More reviews by justlooking9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found this at TJMaxx for 19.99. I thought it was expensive for a sunscreen but I also have started using just moisturizer for the summer and want a good sunscreen on top - I find the combos aren't as great for super hot summer and lots of outdoor time. I use a small amount (a pea and a half - two peas?). If you use a lot it will turn you white, but when I have used a little too much I just wait a minute or two and then rub in some more and it seems to take care of it. Overall I really like it. For me there is no real sunscreen smell and I am a bit dry - even in warmer weather - and like that there is some moisture in this - although it really is primarily a sunscreen. I thought it blended well - but I always rub first in my fingers then apply over moisturizer.

I am probably in the minority - but I think really high SPFs are silly and usually too thick- unless you are one of my kids. So SPF 20 suits me. This stuff blocks UVA and UVB and is water resistant. I have had no pimple problems from this and do not have that sticky sunscreen feel all day. Products with sunscreen sometimes sting me even with a light moisturizer on first - this one does not. It washes off at night just fine. I think it is expensive even at 19.99, but I only use on my face so it will last a while. If I see it again at TJMaxx I would probably purchase again. I usually just stop at the sunscreen in warmer weather but I have found that makeup applies well over it once its been given time to settle in.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2007 8:21:00 PM More reviews by selmf

I was very eager to give Mexoryl a try. I wear sunscreen everyday on my face, neck, chest, and arms. This is so thick and white. My face looked like dotted swiss fabric when I wore this. My pores looked huge. I ended up using this up on my arms, and I would have to watch for white creasing in the bend of my arm. I hope they come up with a clear gel of this. I will not buy this formula again.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2007 5:23:00 PM More reviews by kerewin

I was very excited to try this cream, because it was my first chance to buy a sunscreen with Mexoryl without having to order it online. This is a pretty heavy cream that takes a lot of blending to apply smoothly. Even with blending, there is a quite visible masking effect that takes about a half hour to sink in. I find application a bit on the tricky side--freshly exfoliated skin is a must, as the masking effect really accentuates any scaly/ flaky patches and will NOT fade away in those areas. I think it's a bit misleading of Lancome to advertise this cream as an elegant cosmetic--it's really much more of a workhorse sunscreen with a texture similar to higher SPF drugstore sunscreens. I'm fine with that, because I expected that going in. Also I work in a profession where jeans and t-shirts are the expected uniform and I rarely wear any make-up but mascara, it works for me. As an experiment, I tried dusting loose powder over it a half hour after applying. The powder caked on really thickly and it was impossible to brush off the extra. So women who need a cosmetically pleasing sunscreen to layer under makeup probably won't like this. Additionally, I find this product impossible to reapply--adding more after a few hours only makes the masking/ streaking worse. Given that sunscreen effectiveness is all about reapplication, this is a deal breaker. If this were the only easily available Mexoryl product available I'd stick with it, but with so many more options on the market, I doubt if I'll re-purchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2003 11:18:00 PM More reviews by appleqn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I mistakenly bought this one instead of the SPF50 and couldn't return it so I decided to give it a try. As with the SPF50, the texture is wonderfully light, leaves no whitish cast (looks slightly sticky tough) and the price is hideously expensive. The packaging is weirder, comes in a little flat bottle and you've to squeeze it out, I'd much prefer the SPF50's tube packaging. Having said that, I wouldn't re-purchase this as I'd much rather pick the SPF50 over this.