MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

on 6/30/2015 6:08:00 AM

This is my first MAC lipstick and I absolutely love it! It lasts for hours and does not smudge. It's the kind of Red that's sexy and classy and oh, so feminine. It suits almost every skin tone and that's the best part about it.

on 6/27/2015 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Not Sure

I was in a sephora class a few weeks ago and the question the teacher asked to everyone was "if you were stranded on an island what one beauty product would you have to have?" Everyone else said foundations eyebrow pencils but I...yes...I stood up proudly and said Ruby Woo Lipstick. My eyebrows could be fluffy my face could be broken out and my under eyes could look like pillows but if I have on this lipstick I'm unstoppable.

It's a beautiful blue toned red. (when I say blue I mean for real blue) try pairing this lipstick with a blue dress or shoes even a clutch and you will notice how nice the colors mesh together. It's super drying and it definitely tugs at your lips when applying but that's a small price to pay for such a bold statement. Ruby woo has been my go to red for a couple of years now and it never fails. I am a true NW45-50 AA women and this colors looks good on me and my Anglo Saxon friends. I know you've probably looked at the other reviews and have most likely made up your mind to buy this product and I'm here just to tell you congratulations and go be fierce with it!

on 6/22/2015 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this and I only got it because I loved Dragon Girl by Nars. They are so similar. I knew all the buzz about this and finally decided I needed it. True story, I was in a store and the clerk said she loved my lip colour and asked what it was. I said it was that famous one. She immediately guessed Ruby Woo by MAC. Man, I didn't even think I looked that great. Clearly the lipstick has a power all its own.

If I need to reiterate what's been said, it's universally flattering. It's true matte. It's not a screaming red that tries too hard. It's strangely haunting yet subdued. It's like nothing else - except my wonderful Nars Dragon Girl pencil.

I alternate them with the nude/mauve look only for the pleasure of working with the products creatively. I love to change my look daily to rotate my cosmetics and give them all a chance. But my main affection right now is with Ruby Woo! I didn't buy the matching pencil but I am very tempted and will probably do it!

MAC lipsticks are $21 here; most high end brands at Sephora are $31 up to $40. Drug store brands are $2.49 to $14 or so. Thus I don't see the MACS as being too pricey for their uniqueness and quality (heavenly signature scent, wonderful case, and the promise of a free lipstick when you return 6 empties).

on 6/14/2015 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just got into red lipstick and i heard this is a must have red lipstick in a womans makeup bag. I decided to get this, the matching lip pencil and, upon an employees recommendation due to its drying nature, the lip primer. I have seen this lipstick once before in high school, during a play rehearsal, one of the dance students showed me. I thought it was a pretty red color, but until now, stayed far away. But now since ive grown more confident in bold lipstick, decided to buy it. Very pretty color. The lip primer is a must as it moisturizes enough to make the color swipe on easier. The lip pencil is good too.

on 6/13/2015 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I love it. As I age I use less make up. Therefore I may not buy another one. But to wear this properly I first exfoliate my lips. Then I apply balm and let it soak in for a few minutes. Blot then apply Ruby Woo using a brush, blot and apply again. I look fab, very Diana Vreeland. It's a classic.

on 6/13/2015 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Sorry haters, I'll happily tug dry, loud, matte Ruby Woo across my lips for the rest of my life. I'll buy my 5th tube when my current one runs out and I won't check out dupes - Ruby Woo is the kind of red that when you discover it, you stop looking.
I wear Ruby Woo to work nearly every day, appropriateness be damned. It's a foolproof colour for my NC 42-match skin and mostly full lips. I have yet to see a woman of any skin tone who wants to wear it and can't.
Forget all that talk of its blue-based tone and it's pigmentation - you knew that already. We're talking about a kind of red that calls you to be social. #TrueStories: Random colleagues will compliment you on it in the office washroom, some woman will want to know the shade name on the train ride home, your otherwise prim cousin will want to borrow it, foreign tourists in Mumbai will want to take your picture, your friends will notice how its the only thing they can see in a badly-lit selfie and you will stand out in any group photo, guaranteed (unless you're next to Angelina Jolie, and she's wearing Ruby Woo as well, in which case: Why, God, why?!).
In practical terms, Ruby Woo is a pain - the bullet is waxy and crayon-dry, it NEEDS lip balm underneath, it WILL transfer wherever lipstick transfers (cups, necklines, people's cheeks) and it has a tendency to smear on humid, hot days. If you like the finish, you just have to deal with it, creamier formulas simply don't look as velvety, offer as much coverage or have as much depth.
I apply mine over 8-hour cream and use two layers for a full day at work. You can tone down the intensity, of course - I merely happen to be a Go Big Or Go Home type. It plays well with gloss - Chanel Exces on the centre of my lips makes it look very siren like (but way more bleeding). As with any strong red, you'll need to keep the rest of your face neutral - I even wear a thinner eyeliner and skip blush.
Ruby Woo is almost always out of stock in India, so I hunt or them at airport duty free shops. In Singapore, my boyfriend walked into a Mac store and simply asked: "What's that red lipstick all the women like?" And was handed a tube of it without comment.
I have Sephora's Always Red cream lip stain and it's close to the intensity of this colour (It stays on longer and transfers less too) but looks just a bit flatter.
If you're considering it, go buy it. Life is too short to wonder about a lipstick, you know!

on 6/4/2015 2:47:00 PM

The best matte red lipstick ever created. I don't find it drying at all. For all you whiners out there complaining how dry it makes your lips, there are plenty of glossier/more moisturizing lipsticks out there in simiar colors so before you make an ignorant review, it might not be the lipstick itself but because the type of lips you have and how you prepare your lips prior to putting this lipstick on. Matte lipstick isn't for everyone just like glossy lipstick ain't for me. Ruby Woo would not last all-day if it wasn't for its texture. If you are prone or have dry, chapped or wrinkly lips, then take a hike!

Now back to the review: the only matte lipstick on the market that is actually 100% MATTE unlike other lipsticks out there that make this false claim but ends up being a satin finish or semi-matte finish. It is such a beautiful, technicolor blue-toned (NOT pink like some "blue" red lipsticks claim to be) red lipstick. Definetely an authentic vintage pin-up girl red lipstick. My face lights up in this beautiful color. And I have cool-toned fair skin.

I hope MAC never stops making this and never EVER change the formula because a handful of people complain about its texture. Don't fix what isn't broken the first place. Discontinuing Ruby Woo would not be a wise business move.

I wish I can have a lifetime supply of this lipstick. That's how much I love MAC's Ruby Woo.

on 5/29/2015 10:17:00 AM

A little dry on the lip but the coverage is awesome!

on 5/25/2015 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Ruby Woo is probably by far one my favorite lipstick by MAC. Everything about this lipstick is perfection. Im obsessed with matte lipsticks, only thing this lipstick tends to get it dry. My suggestion would be to moisturize your lips before you apply it on. I also love how ruby woo stays on ALL day.

on 5/23/2015 11:01:00 AM

This lipstick looks so amazing on the lips, looks like velvet, every time that I use someone ask me the color and oh my good, stay for hoursss!

Popular Lipsticks