Paula's Choice Best Face Forward Foundation SPF 25

3.2

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 8.24%; Octinoxate (Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate) 4.55% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone (silicone slip agents), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (thickener/fatty acid), Nylon-12 (absorbent), Glycerin (water-binding agent), Polyethylene (thickener/opacifying agent), Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer (silicone polymer), PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone (emulsifier), PEG-8 (thickener), Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate (powdery thickening agent), Propylene Carbonate (solvent), Disteardimonium Hectorite, Polyhydroxystearic Acid (suspending agents), Aluminum Stearate (thickener), Alumina (absorbent), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Polymethylsilsesquioxane (opacifying agent), Polymethyl Methacrylate (film-forming agent), Sodium Chloride (binding agent), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone-based emulsifier), Benzoic Acid, Chlorphenesin, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol (all preservatives), Iron Oxides (mineral pigment).

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

It truly is amazing that Paula criticized all other foundation manufacturers, Oh, so high & mighty, but when it comes to her own, its a total flop. Chalky, un-natural, difficulty to blend without silicone primer, and WOW, what a wonderful colour selections, count them, only 5, yes F-I-V-E shades. How under-whelming.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I tried this foundation years ago, but I think they changed the formula. This seems more like a tinted moisturizer than a foundation. I was expecting much more coverage from a product made for oily/acne skin. The search continues....

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I've struggled for years to find a foundation I could enjoy using daily. Between failing to find a true skintone match and failing to find a formula that sits right on my textured skin, it was really hard. Too dark, too yellow, too beige, too thick, too clingy, too slippery, too heavy or too sheer - nothing was quite right. So I gave up on foundation (in spite of having an arsenal that included heavy hitters like Tarte and Yves Saint Laurent and Clinique) and turned instead to Korean BB creams from ebay. yeah, they were a bit off in color, a bit flat and beige for my peachy fair Caucasian skin, but at least they didn't make my skin look LESS pretty than it does when bare.

I found Paula's Choice when I was revamping my skincare to include more BHA products. After a very happy year of experimenting and finding MANY HG favorite items (including a high SPF daily moisturizer) I tried a couple samples of the foundations. My favorite turned out to be the Best Face Forward in Best Bisque, which is the lightest shade.

My skin: combination to oily, fair, peachy, freckles, larger pores, not much in the way of acne or breakouts, not prone to sensitivity, some crinkles (I'm 48), some scarring from pretty severe acne as a teen. Not too bad over all, and I prefer a lighter weight formula that doesn't accentuate the orange peel texture issues I have, or try to obliterate my freckles with heavy coverage.

The product: comes in an opaque tube you can stand on end to allow gravity to pull out all the product as you use it up, and then cut the tube open when it seems empty to reveal another couple of weeks of product. I like this! Product dispenses from a narrow pointed tip, which is good as the foundation is more fluid than creamy - a bit fuller bodied than, say, Neutrogena dry touch sunblock. The texture is nicely creamy/slippery in my hands, which allows me to apply it lilke a moisturizer - with my fingers, really spreading it around and working it into my skin, which is crucial for me to diminish the appearance of my pores. I then press and roll a makeup sponge or beauty blender over it to further push the product into my skin and remove any pooling or streaking. This is all very fast, and the foundation is easy to work with and unfussy in this regard.

Foundation dries down a bit - I like to wait a couple of minutes before I use my setting powder to let it settle. The unpowdered finish is satiny and natural, and even on my oily skin wears well for 8 hours or so. Without powder I do get shiny on my forehead and nose, but I am OILY and have NEVER been matte in the t-zone no matter what I use. With powder, the wear and finish extend another 4 hours. Product wears well in low humidity as well as high for me - no melting/streaking/running or breakdown in 95 degrees with 90% humidity when I traveled down south last week. I was very impressed. Home humidity usually is around 30-50%, so the consistent performance was a huge bonus.

This formula also seems to lend itself to mixing nicely with other products without balling up. Tarte Full Coverage Maracuja Concealer, for instance, when I was a fuller finish. A little tiny dab, half the size of a grain of rice, mixed in with the foundation and then applied with fingers and sponge, and I've got a luxurious, nearly full coverage foundation that reads beautifully at night, and still wears well. i think other creamy concealers (like KA SSE and the like) would also blend well.

I use this over my favorite sunblock ever - Paula's Choice Resist Youth Extending Daily Fluid SPF 50 - and they get along famously with no pilling or pulling or breakdown, no primer needed I've yet to find a primer I really like, anyway, so I just stick with the PC SPF, and it works great.

With regard to color range, it is SADLY and appallingly limited. Great for fair skins, but anything richer than say a Mac 25 or maybe 30 will not find a suitable depth, let alone a tone. Of the four shades I sampled (Bisque, Linen, Buff, Natural Beige), the Bisque is the lightest and peachiest (a dead on match for Tarte concealer in Fair, which is described as "fair skin with pink undertones" but which is decidedly peachy, not pink), while the others all are definitely more yellow-toned. Even the richest shade, Natural Beige, is more like a light golden tan skintone - if I were a sunless tanner or bronzer girl, I could have chosen that shade to bring warmth and color to my skin. But I prefer to match my neck and body, which are extremely pale since I don't get out much.

Summary: Awesome foundation for fair to light, normal to oilier skins seeking a light to medium level of coverage. Easy to use and blend, somewhat buildable coverage, long wearing even in hot/humid environments. Removes well (I oil cleanse and then wash with a foaming cleanser to get all my sunblock off anyway). Fairly priced at around $20 for an ounce. A great value if you can find a skintone match.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

As other reviewers have stated, I am very surprised this foundation does not have a higher rating. I realize that foundation opinions are quite varied since skin type changes from person to person, but this an excellent foundation for people who have sensitive skin and like a semi-matte finish.

So what are the pros?
1. The coverage. No, it won't hide every imperfection, but that's not how it's marketed. It has a very natural light-medium coverage with a semi-matte finish. I have combination skin, and I can easily wear it throughout the day (granted, I do work in an office environment).
2. Application. SUPER easy. Apply with fingers and go. Can also be applied with the a flat top/stippling brush if that's your preference. It has an incredibly smooth texture which makes it a piece of cake to blend in.
3. The ingredients. Very few companies take the time PC does to make the ingredients list as clean and skincare beneficial as possible. I sometimes to forget to wash the foundation off at night, but I don't fret it because this foundation never bothers my sensitive skin in the least.

Cons:
1. Maybe the price?? It's about $20 per 1 oz bottle, which is definitely more expensive than a drugstore foundation. But with the aforementioned pros, I think it's quite reasonable....also keep in mind its much cheaper than a high end foundation, and PC has sales regularly.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

A note about the packaging: This now comes in a black tube rather than a shaker bottle, which is an improvement.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good color match in this medium coverage foundation and my opinion is that the texture could be improved. I've tried to find a good shade. Linen is too dark for me. Best Bisque is too light and washes me out. I'm glad her foundations aren't pink, but I can't seem to find a decent color match in most of them. The fair shades aren't neutral enough and there are usually only a few shades. Nothing like the spectrum of MAC or Kat Von D. Usually it seems that I would need to buy two different shades and a bottle of Cover FX drops and mix it all mad scientist style to get a color that accurately matches my face. The Paula's Choice color range should be expanded.

The finish isn't elegant enough to smooth me out as much as a high end foundation. I feel that Hourglass Immaculate is the best finish for my skin when it leans from combination to oily and I want medium to full coverage. The second best finish is that of MAC Beauty Balm SPF 35 which is more like a tinted moisturizer that gives light coverage but floats over any tiny fine lines you might have and makes it look as though you have pretty skin rather than nice makeup. Best Face Forward almost seems too grainy to be called foundation. It's more like a matte, pigmented sunscreen. At least it doesn't exaggerate flaws or settle into laugh lines.

On the plus side, it's pretty good at keeping me matte as opposed to sweaty and oily. I really appreciate the SPF and the fact that it's not greasy. There are no irritating ingredients to set off my sensitive skin. And it's only $19 a tube. I've paid more than that for sunscreens I dislike.

I have a well-stocked bathroom of Paula's Choice skin care successes. While I don't love every single product, I have repurchased some of the best ones. Her cleansers and toners are mostly excellent. She has some good BHA, AHA, and retinol products. And the brand proudly sports the Leaping Bunny logo.

But this particular foundation doesn't work for me.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I HAD SAMPLES
All of the shades had natural colors, soaked into the skin and offered broad spectrum sun protection. The foundation has pretty good coverage and conceals some acne . Also it doesn't bring out wrinkles. It is good for someone with dry skin. The ingredients aren't special though and almost all the shades are too warm so if you have redness or acne this may not be the one for you.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

The colors looks very natural, best champagne beige is the perfect shade for me, I am NC20-25. It's working great for my oily skin in winter time. I like the fact that it's very skin like, it evens out my skin tone and it looks really natural. I'm used to use medium-full coverage because of my rosacea, but my skin is a lot better now so I decided to give this a try and use it on "good skin days" with concealer where I need it and some powder that has some coverage over it. It definitely doesn't cover my rosacea-acne spots, but on weekends I don't care. But in general I prefer foundations with more coverage so I will only use this occasionally.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I LOVE this!! I was a little skeptical to purchase because of the mixed reviews but I'm so glad I went ahead and ordered it. It's a light coverage that looks completely natural on my skin and it evens everything out seamlessly. It's what I've been looking for in a BB cream, but haven't been able to find. The shades are fantastic for me, I have light skin with yellow undertones. In the warmer months I take the best champagne shade (when my skin is NC25ish) and in the winter months I use the best linen shade (NC20-ish). My skin is very breakout prone and this has not caused a single blemish! It stays matte for hours and doesn't settle into my pores or oxidize into an oompa-loompa orange either. Honesty, I just love it. Paula frequently has sales and promotions (free shipping!) so this is easy to order and have delivered. I cannot recommend this enough, it makes me look like I have flawless skin. Thanks Paula!!

This is a lovely natural foundation that's totally amazing for oily skin prone to breakouts! I have the shade best bisque which In my opinion suits my medium skin tone beautifully, I have yellow and beige undertones in my skin and this looks great and matches perfectly, for me I don't need powder because this sets off to a matte finish anyway, and lasts all say, it seems to control oil too! a amazing product! Thank you Paula!

This gave me a lovely light and natural finish, perfect for when I want less coverage. It really doesn't cover much: I have two huge dark spots on my forehead which are only covered a little by this foundation.

The Best Bisque color is a great match for my NC10-15 skin. It can be layered a little, I used two layers of this under my eyes to cover my dark circles instead of wearing concealer. It did settle a little into my lines but not to the extent where it highlighted them and was easily blended away. I would buy this foundation again as long as it has pretty good lasting power (which I haven't checked yet).

I have been wearing this over Anessa's Perfect SPF50 sunscreen (which makes any foundation look phenomenal) so wearing it alone may give different results. Looks good so far, will update when I know how it lasts in humidity.