Peter Thomas Roth AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel

3.7

Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid 2.00%, Inactive Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Alcohol Denat., Glycolic Acid, Glycerin, Arginine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Ammonium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben 6/11/09

I've been using this for months whenever a blemish pops up, but it doesn't help it at all or make it go away quicker. Super disappointing and waste of money.

on 2/18/2015 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

This stuff is great. On my second bottle but it lasts a really long time. I had horrible blackheads on my nose and cheeks and they are all gone. I did purge when I first started using this but it literally cleared up within a few days, nothing bad at all. Highly recommend.

on 2/7/2015 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Once again didnt treat my acne

on 12/8/2014 9:10:00 PM

I have always had really sensitive skin and got some bad breakouts earlier in my teen years (I am almost 20 now). I went to see a dermatologist when I was 17 and he prescribed some treatments that worked wonders and I still use daily resulting in really pretty, clear skin.

Over the summer I went to Germany for an internship for 3.5 weeks but I forgot to pack my skincare products other than a tube of Neutrogena 2% salicylic gel. I looked in all sorts of drug stores but couldn't find anything with the same ingredients. My skin was fine at first and looked normal but around week 2 I started to break out really bad. It was a kind of breakout I'd never had before. Before I went to the dermatologist, I had a few big zits on my forehead but this breakout consisted of TONS of small, skin-colored zits. They did not respond to the salicylic acid and continued to multiply. By the time I came home my skin was a wreck.

My mom found this product and I began using it twice a day. My skin is really sensitive and stings or dries out easily but this did not cause any problems. I used it in conjunction with my other skincare products and occasionally used it three times a day with no irritation. You need to be really patient because it does not start doing anything for a week or two, but all the zits eventually began to come to the top. That was of course really frustrating because my skin was full of noticeable zits instead of the small bumps, but in order for the bumps to go away, they needed to rise to the surface. Make sure you don't pop them unless you're absolutely sure you can get the white stuff out. I used an extraction tool and was able to find 5-6 zits that were ready to pop each night. This lasted all summer and into the school year - probably a total of 2 months or so - but they were finally gone and I have my great skin back.

Hopefully I won't have another problem like this in the future, but if I did this would definitely be my go-to product.

on 7/13/2014 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

At first I didn't think I would like this but I was proven wrong! This has become my HG acne treatment and I can't be without it. My skin has been breaking out a bit and this has kept it from getting super bad. I use this at night and I don't need more than a pump and a half to cover my whole face. On weekends I use this morning and night and it hasn't dried me out either.
The price is kind of high on this product but it has lasted me for so long. I think I've had this bottle for about 5-6 months now and I just got my 2nd bottle of it. I wish the bottle was more see through so I could see how much product I have left but whatever.
A couple days ago I tried out another product that had the same idea as this PTR product and I broke out like crazy! I haven't had acne that bad of acne since before I started using the PTR product so I went right back. Ever since I went back to PTR, my skin has cleared up so much. Not only does this product work on active acne but I have seen some of my acne scars lighten up as well since using this. It does burn a tad when you apply it especially after exfoliating but it passes quickly. I will keep buying this product and I would recommend it to my friends with acne as well!

on 5/15/2014 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I don't know what is in this stuff but it is magic!! I have tried several acne treatments ranging from over the counter to prescription medications and all they ever did was dry out my skin. I randomly tried this at Sephora a couple of months ago and this has seriously been my saving grace! I can apply it twice a day without any irritation, but I typically don't need to anyway because it works so fast. I've gotten my coworkers to fall in love with this as well and I know it's a product I will use for many years to come!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I ran into Sephora because I was tired of buying drugstore acne products that didn't work. The SA told me this and the Dermadoctor ain't misbehavin' would be top picks for me and how everyone swears by these products. Hopeful and patient i tried this for twice a day for 6 weeks and so absolutely no improvement. None. This is too expensive not to work (around $60). I was still getting breakouts without relief. Thankfully Sephora let me take this back to try the equally pricey and disappointing Dermadoctor serum. I'll give Sephora another chance to impress me.

on 1/19/2014 9:03:00 PM

This is an awesome product to dry up any blemishes. I only use this as a spot treatment because it is EXTREMELY DRYING. If you do put it everywhere it might make you get really dry and flaky. I put this bad boy right on the blemish about 2-3 times a day and my blemish are almost gone with in two days! Love love love!!!

on 11/30/2013 10:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I have been using this product for quite a few months now... I have been reading a lot of the reviews I see people either love it or hate it. One of the things that I wanted to clarify is about the actual use of "acids". A lot of people are saying that this gel didn't clear their acne. From what I understand, despite the name the acids don't actually clear acne. They way the work is to clear and unclog the pore, which results in new acne from forming. So basically whats happens is the acids, clear, unclog and keep the pore clean. So you may purge a bit.. but you should also be using a benzoyl product or maybe some sort of spot treatment to actually clear and treat your active pimples. I think this product is great at doing just that. I have large pores and very oily skin. I have used different brands of glycolic acids before so I knew what to expect when trying this product. I use it in conjunctions with PTR BH Acne wash along with a sulfur mask and my skin stays pretty clear for the most part. It keeps my pores clear and small. After some time your skin can get used to it. For that reason I am going to go back to my original brand because they make the same kind of gel but at 15 and 20%.

on 5/17/2013 10:22:00 PM

I've been using this product for about a month now. My skin is not too bad, i have the occasional break outs especially on my t zone so i was trying to find a product that could work on these specific areas. The sales girl recommended this product to me and given the price wasn't too expensive and it came with quite a lot of product, i decided to give it a go. So, here's what i think about this gel. I'm not sure if i like it or not. I feel that it hasn't helped much on breakouts and possibly have made my skin more prone to breaking out especially when i use it all over my face. I'll get these little oil bumps on places that i don't normally breakout. My skin also becomes really oily after a few hours. So, i'm not sure if the breakout is due to over oil production or if it's trying to unclog my pores causing my skin to purge? Not sure what it is but after a month of usage and i feel it's a good enough time frame to know if a product is really working or not, i'll most likely not buy this again cause it hasn't exactly lived up to my expectations. I gave it a two stars cause i feel it calms the redness down of the skin and it's quite a lot of product for the price. Also it's fragrance free!

Popular Treatments (Face)