December 19, 2014 | 1415 users online

Treatments (Face) - Peter Thomas Roth - AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2014 9:10:00 PM More reviews by jappa29

I have always had really sensitive skin and got some bad breakouts earlier in my teen years (I am almost 20 now). I went to see a dermatologist when I was 17 and he prescribed some treatments that worked wonders and I still use daily resulting in really pretty, clear skin.

Over the summer I went to Germany for an internship for 3.5 weeks but I forgot to pack my skincare products other than a tube of Neutrogena 2% salicylic gel. I looked in all sorts of drug stores but couldn't find anything with the same ingredients. My skin was fine at first and looked normal but around week 2 I started to break out really bad. It was a kind of breakout I'd never had before. Before I went to the dermatologist, I had a few big zits on my forehead but this breakout consisted of TONS of small, skin-colored zits. They did not respond to the salicylic acid and continued to multiply. By the time I came home my skin was a wreck.

My mom found this product and I began using it twice a day. My skin is really sensitive and stings or dries out easily but this did not cause any problems. I used it in conjunction with my other skincare products and occasionally used it three times a day with no irritation. You need to be really patient because it does not start doing anything for a week or two, but all the zits eventually began to come to the top. That was of course really frustrating because my skin was full of noticeable zits instead of the small bumps, but in order for the bumps to go away, they needed to rise to the surface. Make sure you don't pop them unless you're absolutely sure you can get the white stuff out. I used an extraction tool and was able to find 5-6 zits that were ready to pop each night. This lasted all summer and into the school year - probably a total of 2 months or so - but they were finally gone and I have my great skin back.

Hopefully I won't have another problem like this in the future, but if I did this would definitely be my go-to product.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2014 2:17:00 PM More reviews by Sweetheart7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

At first I didn't think I would like this but I was proven wrong! This has become my HG acne treatment and I can't be without it. My skin has been breaking out a bit and this has kept it from getting super bad. I use this at night and I don't need more than a pump and a half to cover my whole face. On weekends I use this morning and night and it hasn't dried me out either.
The price is kind of high on this product but it has lasted me for so long. I think I've had this bottle for about 5-6 months now and I just got my 2nd bottle of it. I wish the bottle was more see through so I could see how much product I have left but whatever.
A couple days ago I tried out another product that had the same idea as this PTR product and I broke out like crazy! I haven't had acne that bad of acne since before I started using the PTR product so I went right back. Ever since I went back to PTR, my skin has cleared up so much. Not only does this product work on active acne but I have seen some of my acne scars lighten up as well since using this. It does burn a tad when you apply it especially after exfoliating but it passes quickly. I will keep buying this product and I would recommend it to my friends with acne as well!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2014 11:09:00 AM More reviews by marissa04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't know what is in this stuff but it is magic!! I have tried several acne treatments ranging from over the counter to prescription medications and all they ever did was dry out my skin. I randomly tried this at Sephora a couple of months ago and this has seriously been my saving grace! I can apply it twice a day without any irritation, but I typically don't need to anyway because it works so fast. I've gotten my coworkers to fall in love with this as well and I know it's a product I will use for many years to come!!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/6/2014 10:00:00 PM More reviews by pictureperfect2690

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I ran into Sephora because I was tired of buying drugstore acne products that didn't work. The SA told me this and the Dermadoctor ain't misbehavin' would be top picks for me and how everyone swears by these products. Hopeful and patient i tried this for twice a day for 6 weeks and so absolutely no improvement. None. This is too expensive not to work (around $60). I was still getting breakouts without relief. Thankfully Sephora let me take this back to try the equally pricey and disappointing Dermadoctor serum. I'll give Sephora another chance to impress me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2014 9:03:00 PM More reviews by Shambam121

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is an awesome product to dry up any blemishes. I only use this as a spot treatment because it is EXTREMELY DRYING. If you do put it everywhere it might make you get really dry and flaky. I put this bad boy right on the blemish about 2-3 times a day and my blemish are almost gone with in two days! Love love love!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2013 10:56:00 PM More reviews by melanie1215

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for quite a few months now... I have been reading a lot of the reviews I see people either love it or hate it. One of the things that I wanted to clarify is about the actual use of "acids". A lot of people are saying that this gel didn't clear their acne. From what I understand, despite the name the acids don't actually clear acne. They way the work is to clear and unclog the pore, which results in new acne from forming. So basically whats happens is the acids, clear, unclog and keep the pore clean. So you may purge a bit.. but you should also be using a benzoyl product or maybe some sort of spot treatment to actually clear and treat your active pimples. I think this product is great at doing just that. I have large pores and very oily skin. I have used different brands of glycolic acids before so I knew what to expect when trying this product. I use it in conjunctions with PTR BH Acne wash along with a sulfur mask and my skin stays pretty clear for the most part. It keeps my pores clear and small. After some time your skin can get used to it. For that reason I am going to go back to my original brand because they make the same kind of gel but at 15 and 20%.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/17/2013 10:22:00 PM More reviews by KaraJolene

I've been using this product for about a month now. My skin is not too bad, i have the occasional break outs especially on my t zone so i was trying to find a product that could work on these specific areas. The sales girl recommended this product to me and given the price wasn't too expensive and it came with quite a lot of product, i decided to give it a go. So, here's what i think about this gel. I'm not sure if i like it or not. I feel that it hasn't helped much on breakouts and possibly have made my skin more prone to breaking out especially when i use it all over my face. I'll get these little oil bumps on places that i don't normally breakout. My skin also becomes really oily after a few hours. So, i'm not sure if the breakout is due to over oil production or if it's trying to unclog my pores causing my skin to purge? Not sure what it is but after a month of usage and i feel it's a good enough time frame to know if a product is really working or not, i'll most likely not buy this again cause it hasn't exactly lived up to my expectations. I gave it a two stars cause i feel it calms the redness down of the skin and it's quite a lot of product for the price. Also it's fragrance free!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2012 12:31:00 PM More reviews by highheeled

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So, I never had acne as a teenager. No, really. I was that kid everyone hated because I had perfect skin.

Then I entered my 20s, and my skin started to freak out and I kind of freaked out with it. I've tried so many products out there, and many of them have been super disappointing.

This product, combined with PTR's Acne Spot and Area Treatment, is a MIRACLE. I've been using it for about a month now. I use it at night between toning and moisturizing and my skin looks so beautiful - clear and glowing, and any breakouts that do crop up clear out much faster than before.

I did experience some mild purging. However, this product makes extractions so much easier and they heal a lot faster. I'll definitely be buying this stuff again and again!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/5/2012 8:55:00 AM More reviews by madhs

I bought this a year ago and used it couple of times, but felt like it did nothing. Then about a month ago, my acne was getting so bad that I wanted to try anything and everything. So I tried this again, and I can tell you, it is no miracle. I still had the acne for 2 weeks, but they calmed down. Now I think I have one active pimple, and I consider that quite a blessing. If you have oily acne prone skin, give it a go. Once again, not a miracle product for me, but there is benefit when used regularly.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2012 4:10:00 PM More reviews by OKsusha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is an excellent treatment for my acne. After one month of daily use pimples have completely disappeared. It has been exactly two months since I've started using this gel and I have yet to have an active pimple. Before using this gel, I suffered with about 3-5 pimples on my face at any given time for the past 3 years.

Please note that skin care is an individual experience and what works excellently for me may not work for you. However, this product is cheap enough where you can simply just give it a try.