September 21, 2014 | 1903 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Buttercream Eye Shadow

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2014 5:53:00 AM More reviews by LeighS

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wasn't that impressed with this eyeshadow when I first tried it because I usually prefer a more peachy neutral as an all-over eyeshadow such as MAC Orb and this is more of a pale yellowish-beige. But I've found myself using this everyday for the last few months and I love it. I am 42 with very fair skin (around MAC NC15) and am noticing a bit of crepeyness on my eyelids now despite lots of sunscreen use and wearing sunglasses in sunny weather. My skincare/ eye make-up routine starts with a sunscreen on my eyelids followed 20 minutes or so later by Bobbi Brown longwear cream eyeshadow in Shore all over the lids as a neutral matte base. Then I brush Laura Mercier Buttercream e/s all over the lids from lashline to brow. I have quite thin skin that shows purplish on the lids especially when I am tired so I need this coverage. I love this e/s because it is matte and doesn't highlight crepeyness too much like a glittery/shimmery shadow would. It makes a great base for my other eye products (MAC Cork to contour and line and MAC Coffee or a liquid eyeliner on the top lash line then black mascara). I would buy it again although I like trying new eyeshadows to use for this purpose (I am trying NYX Lap Dance e/s next).

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2012 6:29:00 PM More reviews by zoee1912

I was looking for a pale colour to provide a good base or to work alone as an under brow highlighter. I've used this eyeshadow a lot and given it a good chance to work but it just doesn't work that well for me. I find it is very chalky in texture and above my lids it looks dry and cakey whereas I don't have this problem with any other eyeshadows I use. I also don't find it works as a highlighting under brow colour on its own because it is not that pale. I am fair skinned and maybe this would work on someone with a darker than fair skin. On the plus side, because of all the yellow in it, it is good for toning down any redness or veins to provide a good canvass. But due to the dry and cakey effect I won't be purchasing again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2011 2:10:00 AM More reviews by LibertyRose

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am not one to invest in non-color eyeshadows but sprung for this after seeing my MUA's demonstration. The color has been described as a "warm ivory". I agree with the "warm" part, but think it has more yellow than ivory. Applied near my brow bone, this contrasts nicely with the dark colors on the lashline and makes the whole look cleaner and more defined. And it's not just for a neutral look. I wear it as the base color for a smoky eye to moderate the effect. I was concerned that the matte finish would be boring, but now I like that it does not compete with the more dramatic or glittery colors that it often serves as a backdrop for. Better yet, this works as a terrific e/s case, even more so than LM's own "eye basic." The eye basic is admirably long-lasting, but the powder trumps the tube. The only problem is the texture. I wish it could be finer. This can get blotchy and rub off while I am still blending the colors so I end up having to reapply. I'll try another warm neutral next time.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2011 9:51:00 PM More reviews by kiefer5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is pale butterscotch matte color. It is a bit chalky and powdery, not the best quality. I do use it as a highlight right under my eyebrow.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2011 9:24:00 PM More reviews by browneyessmiles

The SA at Blue Mercury convinced me to buy this when I was looking to replace the pot of Bobbi Brown base I had just finished. I'm not convinced that this is the better product. I find it a bit chalky sometimes. I use it all over my lower lid. I find that at the end of the day I experience creasing on my eyeshadow. This is just okay for me. I'll look around for other equivalent products in other brands as this was a bit pricey.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2011 12:47:00 PM More reviews by LianneN

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like this as an all over lide colour. It also brightens the corners of my eyes beautifully.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2010 8:47:00 AM More reviews by sweetgardenangel

Mercier's Buttercream is an absolute necessity to create a neutral look, by enhancing your NATURAL color.

1. It's like a beautiful creamy, bone color,

2. goes on silky smooth,

3 stays put on lids that had been primed with Urban Decay Primer Potion.

4. never settles in the tiny creases on mature skin

5. JUST CAN'T BEAT IT

I'm a Laura Mercier advocate (except for lippies), and graduated from mineral eye colour (which is still my top eye shadow) to this colour in an eye colour case!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2010 5:15:00 PM More reviews by Happyfaced

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A super shadow. It'a very pale lemon colour which I use all over my eye in the same way as Benefit's Lemon-ade. I get pinky eyelids, and this neutralises it perfectly and makes me look more awake, yet still looks invisible.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2008 10:28:00 PM More reviews by Andee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I only rated this 4 because it is not as silky as other LM es's I have. I love the color. Other base, highlight shades I own are too light or too dull. This one brightens up my eye without looking really yellow on.

It is a plus for me that it is totally matte. It is a great combo paired with LM Khaki.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2008 10:12:00 AM More reviews by rp1017

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Buttercream is a very unique and versatile color for me that has become a holy grail in the short time I have been using this eyeshadow. I have odd coloring in that I am pale white, have light blonde and highlighted hair and then have brown eyes with a touch of golden in them ....... a huge problem for me was always trying to find eyeshadows that work with my coloring which is cool, however, my eyes are warm and I cannot begin to tell you the countless amount of eyeshadows which I buy and chuck because they just don't work, however, Buttercream is a true winner. I at first was leary that this would be too yellow, but actually I use it as a base and it really brightens up my entire eye ....... lately I have been pairing this with LM's American Coffee and it really makes my eyes pop ........ today I used Buttercream and took out my GA #3 which I normally cannot use as it appears muddy on me, and the Buttercream worked well in making the #3 look a bit brighter. I cannot wait to play around with other eyeshadows that I cannot normally wear on their own and see how the Buttercream works with them as well ...... Buttercream is a gorgeous cream colored base color for me which really brightens up my brown eyes ...... definitely a keeper and holy grail status.