Schick Intuition razor

3.2

on 1/27/2015 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This was my first razor years ago, and I appreciated that it was easy to use. The bulkiness was a plus as it made it easier to handle for me. I never cut myself with it (which is saying something given how clumsy I am) and it was convenient not to need other products to use with it. I didn't get ingrown hairs and it was a close shave for me.

However, I don't shave my legs regularly. I get cold frequently so I don't wear clothing that leaves my legs uncovered except in extremely warm weather and I use my leg hair as extra warmth. This means that when I do shave, I generally have a lot of hair to get through and this razor is not the easiest to remove hair from as it seems to get stuck in all of the crevices and on the soap. With regular use (for example on my armpits) it worked extremely well and I had no complaints though.

Overall, a convenient product that removed hair without any negative consequences but didn't quite suit my needs of non-regular leg shaving since it isn't easy to clean. For someone who does shave more regularly, I think this would be a charm.

on 12/21/2014 4:38:00 AM

I like it. It's a good alternative/stopgap for when I'm too lazy to have my underarms/arms/legs waxed. It gets a close shave and doesn't give me razor bumps (then again, I use Bufpuf prior to shaving to exfoliate). My only complaint is that the blades get clogged easily, but what I do is to have a plastic container of water nearby while I shave and then dunk it and repeatedly swirl it around in between shaves to get as much of the hair out. Not nevessarily inexpensive but for the convenience it offers, I'd take it.

on 9/8/2014 12:51:00 AM

I really liked this shaver when I first got it. My legs were smooth and hair free, thanks for the massive soap rim. But once the soap is gone, the shaver does nothing on it's own. These type of schick shavers have the "protection from cuts/nicks" but actually this doesn't help at shaving your legs.

on 7/11/2014 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I'm really surprised at all the bad reviews. I love my intuition razor. It's super quick and convenient for legs and underarms, especially in summer when you're shaving more frequently. It's also great for travelling. Granted it is a little bulky but I find it works better and lasts way longer than venus breeze.

I tried to like it but I hate it. Dont like the handle. Actually I dont like anything about it. and the refills cost too much.

on 2/13/2014 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I honestly am shocked that this product has so many negative reviews. I love it! I use this for my legs and underarms. I love the convenience of being able to skip the shaving cream. A perfect shave, for me, every time. My only issue with this product is the price of the refills .. I feel they're a bit pricey.

on 11/8/2013 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

The Intuition razor by Schick is yet another one of those products that borders on being useless (but still sorta works) but one that I continue to I use because I'm simply too lazy to try something else. First off, I have to shave. It's not an option for me. My body hair grows like Teen Wolf's - quickly and with a vengeance that can only be attributed to some sort of witch's curse. I can shave my legs in the shower, go to bed and I will wake up the next morning with stubble. Doesn't matter how close of a shave I get or how amazingly awesome a razor is, my body hair will not be stopped. I've tried nearly every razor (and hair removal system) on the planet and this is just my lot in life. After nearly 20+ years of shaving, I'm sort of resigned to doing as little as I can to get by. Don't scoff, you'll reach that same conclusion at some point as well. We all do.

I've probably been using the Intuition since it first came out. That's likely over five years if not longer. I too thought it was goofy looking and almost too good to be true when it first came out but I relented and bought it. Upon using it, I did find that it was goofy, a bit cumbersome and kind of useless. By that I mean it works but there's so much room for improvement that you can't help but wonder why Schick hasn't done some market studies and at least attempted a new design. The biggest problem with is that the blade gets impossibly clogged with hair that WILL NOT come out. Ever. You can try scrubbing the hair out, running it under both hot and cold water to force the hair out (I don't recommend this as the built in shave lotion thingy will dissipate quicker), you can even scream at it and it won't budge. For whatever the reason, the safety coil (or whatever that is) around the blades hold every little bit of hair in until the end of time. I fully expect archeologists to find old Intuition cartridges with womens' hairs in it in 3,000 years. It also doesn't take a large amount of hair to clog up the blade. One swipe of some stubble and it's there for life.

The other issue is that since the blade clogs in a heartbeat, you will have to shave areas repeatedly to get the desired result. That, of course, makes the lotion bar dissipate quicker which means you have to replace the cartridge lest you still have semi functioning blades and a bar of next to nothing scraping your leg or underarm. I've scratched myself many a time on the plastic part on which the lotion bar is attached when I didn't realize it had worn down. The third irritating point - the cartridges for this razor are stupid expensive. A pack of three refills which, if you shave daily and replace them as soon as the lotion bit wears down, should last about a month or two, cost around $13. Six of those babies will cost you around $22. Really, Schick? It costs you $13-22 to manufacture razor blades (which are cheap) and some solid bits of glorified soap? Are all these items made of unicorn tears and fairy wings? Why are simple, cheap objects so expensive? I think we're all aware that razor companies have been sticking it to both men and women hard in the past few years for one reason only - most of us are slaves to hair removal and shaving is the fastest, most convenient way to remove body hair. Other razor cartridges are just as expensive but Schick takes their whole stick-it-to-the-hair-consumer to a whole new level. To be honest (and a bit disgusting), I haven't bought a refill in years. I refuse to. I'll use a blade long after the lotion bit is gone and substitute a cheap conditioner as a shave cream. If I'm totally out of cartridges, I generally just buy a new razor all together as the Intuition can often be found on clearance racks. Even if I can't find it on clearance, a new razor with two cartridges costs around $9.

On the plus side, the Intuition is built to last. It's a tad big and definitely goofy looking but you can drop it a million times and it never breaks. I also find that most of the lotion bars smell great. I wouldn't say they're terribly moisturizing but they generally smell pretty good.

So why do I keep using this thing? Simple. I don't have to buy shave cream/gel and again, I'm lazy. I've tried going back to other razors, the Venus and some other such nonsense, but I feel like they're just as annoying and the cartridges just as expensive. For the time being, the Intuition is the lesser of many evils. Would I recommend this to anyone? Yeah. I think it would be great for someone who isn't particularly hairy and only has to shave every couple of weeks (also known as people I loath). I'd also recommend it to people who have a better method of hair removal for their legs and just want to use this on their underarms. I think it works great for that area alone but if want to remove the hair from larger parts of your body, I suggest learning how to wax it off or buy yourself a lifetime membership to a waxing salon. In the meantime, I'll be applying conditioner to my legs and cursing the day when I decided shaving my body hair would make me a woman sooner.

on 11/8/2013 12:12:00 AM

Schick Intuition is THE WORST razor I've EVER used! Seven dollars for a silky smooth... line up your leg. Because after that, it gets so clogged that it's literally unusable. It does nothing. What's worse, it's impossible to get the hair out of the razor, so you can't even clean it out. I tried everything from rinsing to wiping to scratching, and nothing. I even attempted to take it apart since that stupid soap blocks the razor from a proper cleaning. What's worse, by the time I managed to shave both bottom halves of my legs (an hour later), the soap around the edges had almost completely disappeared. Seven dollars for one (not even good) incomplete use, and now it's done. I'm so glad I tried this beforehand instead of saving it for before the wedding, because I'd be going crazy. From now on I'm sticking with the Venus Spa Breeze.

on 10/29/2013 8:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Uhhmmm it's ok. When I first bought this (and I resisted a long time, using mostly mens' razors) I actually did need a quick one step shave so I figured what the heck I'll try it. That was once. It's expensive, and due to the nature of those 'conditioning solids', there is a lot of packaging. When I first used this I broke out in little bumps all over my legs. I called the company and they gave me coupons to try the more sensitive solids packs. I used them a couple of times and then switched to epilating for about a year. I still epilate my underarms, but am shaving my legs with this again. This stinks for underarms, just btw. The thing is too big to really contour correctly. On legs it's ok, but the solid melts away so quickly you really feel ripped off. I feel like I use just the razor with soap most of the time, since the razor is still good but the surrounding stuff has melted away. It's just bulkier to use and a money maker. I also use a shower poof after shaving to keep ingrowns away, Olay In Shower body lotion and either baby oil gel or Palmers cocoa butter (the thick one) so the solid part isn't super necessary. I'd like to think in a pinch, yea, it would help prevent razor burn and you could shave in one easy step. But it's a little ridiculous. If you are on a vacation or something, you'd have soap or body wash that you could use and if you are somewhere where you can only take a few items, like camping, you don't need to shave you legs (or you would do it before you go). It's so a marketing ploy over a useful product, I think, and I prefer the smaller 'fancy' man razors.

on 10/27/2013 5:46:00 PM

I guess this is one of those things where you either love it or hate it!

I hate shaving. So much. I went an entire year without shaving my legs once. Now I shave more regularly, but I sooo do not want flesh wounds from it--already have scars on my legs from shaving--and I do everything you're supposed to do, even to the point of using a fresh razor on each leg. It doesn't have to be a super close shave or whatever--I just want a comfortable experience. So, I was attracted to this razor.

I like this razor. I don't get the "chicken skin" that I so often get with other razors. This is nice in that I don't have blood going everywhere, and that nasty bumpy feeling that makes me wonder why I ever shaved off my nice soft leg hair. Nice that I don't have to use soap or shave cream. My skin feels very soft after using it.

Some cons, it does trap hair very easily, so I would recommend shaving over short hair, not long. It is hard to attach when wet, because it is slippery. i would wait for it to dry before taking off the razor. It is a little pricey--but seriously, all reusable razors are expensive. And the cheap ones are like torture machines. So...

Popular Misc Beauty Tools