October 1, 2014 | 1912 users online

Crème - Merle Norman - Total Finish Compact Makeup

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2014 7:44:00 PM More reviews by Savvy890

i haven't written a review in a while but i had to write one on here to express my dissatisfaction of this product. it made my face oily after an hour of use. it looked like a mask. and i had breakouts the very first day of wearing it and my skin was completely clear before trying it for the first time. my face had been clear for weeks until i put this horrid makeup on. plus i had to scrub my face 3 times to get it to come all off! and the owner of merle norman where i live was very rude. she let me try a few products. and expected me to buy all the products i tried right off the bat when i explained to her i had never tried merle norman before. i told her i didn't want to buy 90 dollars worth of makeup i just wanted to buy one product so i could see if it broke me out. she then proceeded to tell me that since i tried a few products, (ones she suggested i try) i had to pay $15. i was like wow, i didn't know i had to pay to try the makeup... i had a horrible shopping experience and the makeup was horrible. i will not be using merle norman. and the color she gave me, was completely the wrong shade. i will be going to belks, where they actually have better customer service, more variety, more shades, ect.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/5/2013 7:49:00 AM More reviews by MsCadle

I wore this for years and years until I switched to MAC studio fix. I'm still trying to find a foundation that has the coverage of this one. PROS: Perfect coverage, smooth, flawless application, you get a lot of product for your money. CONS: highly transferable, can look caked on, settles in creases and ages you throughout the day, does not photograph well, not a lot of colors offered. I switched to MAC studio fix which is much less product for $6 more dollars ($27), the color of it is perfect, it photographs well, does not cake, but the coverage is just ok. My husband likes it much better than Merle Norman bc it looks more natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 8:34:00 AM More reviews by marmitenot

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product provides great coverage and goes on smooth. I always wet the applicator...a dry applicator makes the product too thick (at least for me). The color blends well with my skin, and sits well on my skin as well. I've had problems recently with liquid foundations not working well with my skin as it has aged but this foundation is just perfect!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2013 4:27:00 PM More reviews by Tdiamond

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product! I've been using this for years and my mom has used it even longer. The colors are tricky and I agree there is an orange undertone to some of the colors. Porcelain and ivory work well for me without orange. I admit that I do not like this as well in humid weather because it feels too heavy but if you want coverage you will not find a better product. I have tried them all. I like the cream foundations and I like the portability. I must admit I have a big supply and have not experienced the new packaging yet. The old packaging is worth the price it lasts forever as alittle of this stuff goes a long way.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2013 10:01:00 AM More reviews by faireyfantom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

EDIT - 07.09.13 - I have tried this a couple of times since writing this review as I cannot return it and everything I wrote below still applies. I have tried different applications and setting spray. This is still the poots for me.

I don't know what has happened to Merle Norman. I used to love their color match. Lately everything seems to pull pink or so neutral it washes me out. I explained my skin in great detail to the SA. Explained I like full coverage and need my makeup to stay put. This is what she recommended.

This is the worst foundation I have tried in a long time. Applies beautifully. Within 10 minutes it starts to break down on my face and sank into my pores. I am not a lumberjack or landscaper, I work in an office and by 10am my hair was sticking to my face. By the end of the day I was a greasy, spotty mess. I tried this over a week with different primers, moisturizers, setting powders, etc. to no avail. It transferred to everything and completely wore off where my sunglasses touched my face. The final straw was a nasty breakout. To top it off the owner of the store is hassling me about returning this.

I am officially done with Merle Norman. There are so many good options these days and much better values. Although they do have lovely color products, they are overpriced. There are a ton of places such as Dillard's and Sephora that give you samples, coupons, lots of freebies, and more than one person manning the store.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 5:15:00 PM More reviews by oldfield86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this product. It gives the best coverage of any foundation I've ever used. Covers alot of skin discolorations. Last's all day also.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2013 11:01:00 PM More reviews by CatelynMoney

About 3 months ago, I had the bright idea to try the OCM. Let's just say it was not for me...as in it gave me worse acne than I've ever had. Ever. I was using Benefit's Hello Flawless foundation when my skin was at its worst, but the shade became too dark for me the farther into winter it got. So I went to our local MN and picked up some of this stuff in 'Ivory' as well as the coverup. The foundation has GREAT coverage. So much so that it can look like you're wearing a mask. Also, the shades tend to have a little bit of a red/terra cotta tinge to them. It wouldn't be too terrible if I wasn't super pale, but the red undertones just showed up too much on my face. The coverage was great for my acne, but I didn't like wearing a 'mask'. This would probably be great for darker-complected gals!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/1/2012 11:50:00 PM More reviews by josephinegarcia210

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

tried this product after cargo and let me tell you all their colors run on the pink side. this creme to powder was nnot good. i live in texas therefor its humid all day this product only lasted 4 hours before the oil broke through on my nose. i did not use a primer with it but when i put this product on my face i had to rub it in extremely well or else it looked like a mask. it did not break me out at all overy all it had a satin look to it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2012 2:20:00 PM More reviews by slc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Summer is over and my skin is getting drier already, so after trying a few fancy foundations I went back to good old Merle Norman. I've used their Powder Base foundation on and off for 30 years, but decided to also try the Total Finish since some of the reviews say it's actually more moist than powder base.

I don't like a heavily made up look, so I applied a small amount with a damp sponge and was able to easily spread it all over my face. I used a damp foundation brush to get around eyes and nose, then I patted it in with my fingers to melt it in. I can still see my skin through it, but it looks much better. There's really no need for additional concealer, because this stuff will cover anything. It feels very good on my dry skin, and I love that the main ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. They were probably the first to use minerals! It must offer sun protection, even though there's no SPF listed.

I am using "Porcelain." It looks very dark in the pan and even darker on the sponge, but goes on the skin like porcelain -- a light shade that blends perfectly with my skin. I've never had trouble with any Merle Norman foundations turning orange, etc. And btw, I have the "old style" packaging. I don't know if they responded to consumer complaints and went back to the old compacts or if the store in my area still has the older ones laying around, but there's plenty of product and it's in a nice, flat compact. I am pretty sure that I can put this in my carryon without having to put it aside as a liquid or gel while traveling, which is important to me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 7:49:00 PM More reviews by sabrinalovesmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a Phonemail product! I only have one problem I've used this products forever and they chabged the packaging but they said they are going to re deepened the pan! But other than that it hydrates my dry patches and doesn't enlarge my pores!! It's very full coverage a little goes a long way!!! All in all its an amazing foundation!