September 23, 2014 | 1810 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Rinse-Off Foaming Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2014 3:13:00 AM More reviews by Rachell09

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this product as a small cleanser to bring on trips because I love the portability of it! It does a nice job of cleaning, and it literally makes my face squeaky clean. I love using it with my olay pro x because it foams up the cleanser to it's max.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/18/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by Jdeliz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I picked this product at the duty free in the airport. Felt it left my skin unclean. I'm not sure it removed my makeup completely.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 7:23:00 PM More reviews by amatbm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this cleanser since im 12. Now im 24. I never use anything else. Its the only cleanser that leaves my skin balanced. I love it. If clinique ever discontinues this i will literally cry

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by beautysign

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a pearlescent paste that when you get wet transforms into the foaming cleanser. It's really nice it makes your skin squeaky clean. But it didn't really do anything to help me with my spot prone skin so I wouldn't repurchase. It is nice though , I ended up cutting the packet open so I could get the last bits of the product out. It would be good for people who wear estee lauder double wear because it cleans the skin so well but watch you don't get it in your eye because it stings badly.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2014 9:05:00 AM More reviews by Ruth81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Having been through two cycles of Roaccutane my skin is very fragile and dry, with severe rosacea, adult acne, and occasional bouts of seb. derm. (the hat trick!). Yet strangely enough, I am really pleased with this cleanser. I have been desperately trying to find a rinse-off cleanser which could deal with my (necessarily) heavy mineral make-up as my skin is just too sore to cleanse daily with cloths or cotton-wool. Unfortunately, most of the cleansers currently marketed for dry and/or sensitive skin use capric/caprylic triglyceride (a synthetic form of coconut oil) which causes me terrible cystic acne. My seb derm and acne can also be triggered by heavy oil, silicone-rich residues, and my rosacea is easily exacerbated by cleansers with acids or menthol. So my choice is very limited.

I noticed massive improvements on all three fronts using slightly chalky or alkaline cleansers, such as Burt's Bees Cotton cleanser. However, its cleansing power was only so-so, and cloths and cotton wool began edging back into my routine, and after a few months it left me with a rash around my eyes, which other MUA's have complained of. Like Burt's Bees Cotton cleanser, Clinique's rinse-off cleanser it also leaves a slightly-chalky- alkaline-residue but no where near as thick or noticeable as BB. Clinique's cleanser is far easier to move around the face, and easier to agitate with wet fingers for deeper cleansing (I understand this 'activates' the detergent). Unlike the BB cleanser,only a small amount of this baby-pink cream is required and it cleans very thoroughly and rapidly with a mousse-like texture. I don't detect any scent. I like that I can apply it to wet skin rather than rubbing it onto dry skin (the friction can be painful for skin as sensitive as mine) and the thick mousse provides a lovely cushion effect, massively reducing friction. You just lather between palms, wipe around a wet face, work it into a mousse with finger tips, then I rinse my hands and using wet fingertips, slowly dilute the mousse until it is runny, and rinse off.

I'm delighted to be able to clean my face fast and effectively - no double-cleansing, no intense rubbing, no swipes with cotton wool for 'missed-a-bits' - wonderful! There is no silicone or oily residue left behind, and the very slight 'chalky' effect dries up my acne, keeps my seb derm at bay, removes the horrible concretions caused by seb derm (which can be almost impossible to remove without cloths or acids), and cools my rosacea. The list of ingredients is relatively short and basic, with no oils or dreaded capric/caprylic triglyceride. It does not burn or sting unless I get it in my eyes (I would rather have that than the weird 'misty-eye' effect of other cleansers) and my rosacea has no major problems with it.

I can fully understand why this cleanser has received such mixed reviews, because it is a bit drying (hence 4/5 stars), although I have encountered cleansers far more drying than this, including those marketed at 'dry' skin (which this is not). I suppose the current generation of oil-based and silicone-based cleansers has changed the expectations of a cleanser for many people, but I'm very thankful there is something a bit more 'old school' like this Clinique cleanser to help those of us who simply can't tolerate the ingredients in the new formulations.

Overall, this may be useful for (a) people who want to remove makeup and sunscreen quickly and effectively with minimal effort (b) people wanting to avoid heavily oil/silicone-based cleansers (c) people with seb. derm or other kinds of skin issues who find sulphur-based products too harsh, too alkaline, or too smelly. Obviously it may not work for everyone, but if you can identify with these skin problems, trying a sample might be worth your while.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2014 2:20:00 PM More reviews by thecolormargaret

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been using this with my skin care regimen for about two months and I am so happy with it. It easily and gently removes my makeup without leaving a filmy residue, as much as I like the convenience of wipes to remove my makeup, I have learned first hand what they do to my skin, they spread bacteria every where and leave a film over my skin, worsening my acne. I think this is a worthy investment and just a little bit does the trick.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 8:58:00 AM More reviews by Yolyalex

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Best makeup remover for me. I've been using it for many years and I love how it does the job well without drying my face at all. My skin feels so clean and soft, sometimes I use it as my regular face cleanser. I'll keep repurchasing for many years.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/26/2014 10:58:00 AM More reviews by gisselmartinez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What I actually do like about this product is that it does remove my makeup easily. But sometimes I find it hard to remove my mascara so I have to be scrubbing my eyes and when I do that it stings somewhat. It is true that a little does go a long way with this cleanser but for me it does not matter because I just want to get rid of it. This cleanser always leaves my face extremely dry to the point where i find it difficult to smile. Not only that but i feel like it leaves a film on my face that i dislike and to top it off, after one use, i woke up the next morning with 8 pimples on my cheeks. I barley break out that bad but this cleanser brought out the worst of my face. I absolutely hate it. I will go back to my organic cleanser LUSH!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/15/2014 9:38:00 PM More reviews by jamieevital

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have extremely oily and acne prone skin and I`ve used cleansers in the past that would dry up my oily skin but this one is really drying. I would only recommend using this 2-3 times a week. I have oily and acne prone skin but my skin never gets dry and it can take a lot. This product left me with dry patches that were red and itchy. It`s good for a deep clean but not for daily use.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/15/2014 11:30:00 AM More reviews by misscynthia06

This cleanser is a nice creamy formula, I would only recommend for very oily skin, as using this stuff strips your skin ccompletely leaving it so dry and right feeling. In addition to feeling as if you might break if you smile, your skin in some areas is not necessarily "clean", this leaves a buildup around my nose area which I have to use a toner or another cleanser to clean, isn't the point of a cleanser to clean my face! ?

Maybe okay for very very oily hydrated skin, but not a great cleanser and definitely not good for dry or combo skin.