April 17, 2014 | 1836 users online

Conditioner - Aveda - Madder Root Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2014 6:55:00 PM More reviews by cdesla1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this stuff, have repurchased numerous times. Adds a color boost to my unnatural red hair. Good conditioning level too. Moisturizes but does not weigh down my fine thin hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2013 10:22:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this. I have red hair from a bottle so it's always in varying stages of red. This and the roux color refresh mask in fire red are great. Ill leave them in overnight. It's a cool red. I also have Ted Gibson captivating copper that I use depending on what hue my hair is going through at a particular stage haha. All 3 of these conditioners I use and abuse and I never have the red fading problem so many others lament.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 9:07:00 AM More reviews by bmiller107

If you are struggling to maintain red hair, then this is the product for you. I decided to go red in March and have tried every dye under the sun to keep it red. I bought Madder Root based on the recommendations from MUA and Amazon. 5 days ago I applied it and left it on for 15 minutes. Not only is my hair a beautiful red shade, I have gotten compliments on the color from co-workers, casual acquaintances and even random strangers.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2013 7:24:00 PM More reviews by siminims

Totally works!

I have really dark brown-black hair, strictly gold undertones with no hint of red. I'd try to dye my hair red, and I wouldn't even get a red tint in the sunlight. :/ So I tried the Madder Root Conditioner on a whim. IT WORKED! :D Within just a few uses I had gorgeously rich, red tones in my hair, resulting in a warm, dark auburn in natural light and this awesome crimson-tinted brown in direct sunlight.

MRC does smell kind of weird but that's due to the henna, I'm sure. My mom dyed her hair with henna for years and it always smelled weird too, lol. Also, it REALLY stains. EVERYTHING. Hands, tile, shower curtain, window... So please make sure you have a good tile cleaner.

Also, while the color was what I was most concerned about, it could have been more moisturizing. :/ It left my hair a bit tangled and dry.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2013 3:45:00 PM More reviews by Australianforbeerk2k3

I love this product! I just bought it for the first time one week ago and have noticed such a difference. I have dark hair with auburn undertones. This has made my very subtle highlights brighter, and has really warmed up the tones of red in my hair. My hair shines more beautifully in the sun than ever! It's about $18 for a tube, but you don't need a lot and you don't need to use it every day. Now that I've achieved the color I want, I will start mixing it with my regular conditioner to maintain the color. Ladies with marble showers, be careful - the porous marble will drink this stuff up and stain almost immediately. I try to squeeze all the water out of my hair before I put this on so that it doesn't splash about. Overall, amazing product. And I'm sure it will save me money since I won't need to dye my hair as often because the red won't fade! AMAZING!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by jokasta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have strawberry blonde hair and was searching for something that would keep my red tones from fading. I was hesitant to use this alone because I kept reading this was a very cool toned red and my hair is more warm coppery. In the beginning I mixed this with the chamomile conditioner and I had good results but decided I wanted some more color and tried this alone. I did not find this cool toned at all and instead it enriched my warm copper tones while conditioning it at the same time. I only keep this on for 4 or 5 minutes and my hair is left shiny, detangled and not weighted down at all. I even have some very blond- white strands and was afraid that this would turn them pink but it just imparts a subtle warm red hue. I alternate with the chamomile when I feel my hair is already saturated. This is the best color depositing conditioner for frequent use I have ever used. My hair is long and fine and I feel this conditioned it without needing something extra.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2013 11:15:00 AM More reviews by bluegreyeyes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I started dying my hair when I started noticing greys around my 30th bday. I just have my stylist match my natural auburn color. Normally am not high maintenance w hair but knowing how difficult red coloring is to maintain, I was recommended this conditioner to keep color fresh longer.

This stuff works if you use it in conjunction with other color safe products. I use it w Tressa Watercolors in Molten Bronze shampoo - another color maintenance product.

Tips - leave this conditioner on for 5-7 minutes, and maybe use a shower cap. I also mix some Macadamia Nut conditioner with it, as I don't feel like it's conditioning enough for my very coarse hair. It's probably fine for normal hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2013 9:29:00 AM More reviews by Ghigglypuff

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Warning - You may become very vain after using this product!

My hair is naturally dark blonde with auburn hints and I've always wanted to go redder. I've always been scared to dye it outright as I was afraid that even with semi-permanent dye I would never get it back to it's original colour.

So after hearing about Madder Root and reading the other reviews I thought I'd give it a go!

So far I've only used it once - after shampooing I combed it through my hair and left it for about 3-4 mins. There is strong herbally smell, which is nice. You do have to watch where the red goes as it does leave a residue in the tub but it washes away easily.

I blow-dried my hair as usual and I instantly noticed the difference. My hair is noticeably redder, even after one use! It has done exactly what I wanted it to do - it has really brought out the auburn shades and where my hair was the lightest there is now a subtle red tint. There is a beautiful sheen to my hair (I have to keep checking myself out in the mirror!!)

I would definitely recommend using this but I would be careful if your hair is naturally or dyed quite light blonde as you might have a bit of a shock! I've only rated 4/5 overall because of the price... it's a lot more than I would normally pay but for the feeling you get using it, I would say it's definitely worth treating yourself.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by tracymax

I used this years ago and loved it. I don't know if they changed the formula or what, but this time it was a disaster.

As I posted under the shampoo review, using the Madder Root line turned my hair pink. This was after a long process of trying to get the perfect red, which I finally did. So of course I wanted to preserve it! And now my hair is streaked pink throughout my coppery auburn hair, and nothing I've done has worked to remove it (this stuff is highly pigmented and sticks like glue).

Perhaps this is better for ruby reds, but if you have a true red copper, AVOID!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2012 12:29:00 PM More reviews by scs2dd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

My hair is a medium auburn, leaning more red than brown (TMI?) and this conditioner adds maybe 2 shades brighter a red to it (I leave it in my wet hair for about 15 mins). It's just noticeable enough, but of course you can't get the same dramatic change as a full-on dye. It may be that my hair doesn't take color as well as others', so it yield a more vibrant color on you. Also, if you are blonde, PLEASE listen when others and myself say you should not use it! It will turn your yellow gold into rose gold, without a doubt.
It comes out of the tube a tomato-red and smells simply amazing: it's very herb-y and earthy that make it unmistakably Aveda. A word on the tube-- I wish it was a stiff, cylindrical bottle like their shampoos as I feel this would waste less conditioner. Anyway, this stuff has the potential to stain anything it comes in contact with (my experience has been the tub floor and plastic shower curtain) including hands, so be sure to wash off stains with shampoo as soon as you see them. This will also stain your pillow if you sleep in wet hair and don't rinse thoroughly.. I've been there.
Okay I realize this review contains mostly precautions, but they're honestly not that big of a deal when you have vibrant hair to show for it. I recommend this conditioner and I plan on buying it again myself.