October 23, 2014 | 1849 users online

Shampoo - Aveda - Blue Malva Shampoo & Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2014 10:44:00 AM More reviews by Crabcakelover

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this product on my hair. I have been growing out the grey in my dyed dark brown hair for several months and could not stand the contrast between my cooler salt and pepper roots and my brassy orangey brown ends. It looked so unkempt. Blue Malva can't hide that I'm growing out my roots, but it does make my hair look pretty in the process. My roots are pretty and shiny/sparkly and my ends are now a neutral beigy brown. I have actually been getting compliments on my shiny, pretty hair. Some have even assumed that I put the horizontal stripe in my hair deliberately, because it looks so cool.

A few words of advice. You need to leave the conditioner on for a pretty long time, at least 45 minutes, in order to neutralize the brown. Getting the grey to look good doesn't take nearly as long, but it has never hurt my hair to leave the conditioner on for hours. Unlike other blue or violet shampoos and conditioners, it has never tinged my hair blue or violet.

The smell is nice and unobtrusive. The shampoo is not harsh, but I find that I need two latherings for my hair to feel clean. The conditioner is not heavy duty, so I occasionally mix it with a heavy-duty conditioner to keep my hair in good condition.

For me, the only way that they could improve this product is to make it less expensive and easier to find.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2014 5:17:00 AM More reviews by TennilleES

This product does tone but I can't get the icy blonde shade I'm looking for from it.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2014 11:45:00 PM More reviews by Toritoro

Usually I really like Aveda products, but I was very sad with the results of this one. I bought the shampoo to help keep my newly bleached and toned hair from getting brassy. I have fairly oily hair even after bleaching it. I usually wash every 2-4 days and I noticed that my hair was beginning to get really dry and more yellow with each use. At first, I was content with it but by the fifth wash it made my hair feel unusual. It was becoming dry, brittle and frizzy. By the third wash my hair was pretty much yellow. My hair has never felt this way before and I've never encountered this problem with the purple shampoos I've used in the past. I was very sad to the least.

Below is a linked picture of my hair when it was first done, next to how it looks after a few times of using this shampoo. It was this yellow by the third use, which was about 2-ish weeks after getting my hair done. Both photos were taken with my Iphone in natural sunlight.

Hopefully I can fix the damage it has done. I honestly wish I could give this product a better review as I do really like Aveda products, but this has unfortunately been a disappointment to me.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/16/2014 2:29:00 PM More reviews by emmadolly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

AWFUL.

It seems as if different purple shampoos work for different people, but in my experience this was not only VERY drying but turned my hair green/grey/bluey, awful! Maybe I had too much ash underneath, I'm not sure. But I agree with another reviewer, it has too much indigo and not enough purple in it to tone down yellow tones.

Shine blonde by l'oreal is much better for me, it works slowly over time but it's safer that way rather than being so abrasive it totally ruins your hair. I've had hair too yellow, too orange, and the l'oreal shampoo has solved the lot. Be patient with it and after about a month you will forget whatever original hair disaster you had!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 7:29:00 PM More reviews by MissNostalgia

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I've been using this shampoo for years.

I have purple hair, so the blue pigment in the shampoo helps keep my hair vibrant for at least a couple extra washes.

Packaging is sufficient, price is a bit high, but it smells nice, and it does exactly what it says on the bottle.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2013 10:55:00 AM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My experience is with the shampoo only. I bought the liter size and now I'm getting to the end of the bottle. Initially it didn't irritate my scalp, but recently it is horrible. My scalp feels tight and it hurts. It doesn't even do anything for my highlights. Way too expensive and won't repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/22/2013 12:29:00 PM More reviews by Cydni

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm naturally a dirty blonde. I had dark brown & red hair for years before going back to blonde (very light neutral color). My hairdresser recommended this to help with the brassiness in my hair. Shes at an aveda salon which is probably why she suggested I try it.
After using the entire bottle I can safely say that it doesnt really work.
The color is too blue to actually tone out brassiness & yellowing. Its a bit drying as well.
The smell is amazing & it leaves hair feeling super clean but if your looking for a great shampoo to help maintain color try shimmer lights or lee stafford's bleach blonde (both are cheaper & work so much better)

rated 1 of 5 on 1/2/2012 2:26:00 PM More reviews by daisylonglegs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hopeless for reducing brassiness in blond hair. Basically, it's the wrong shade...far too blue and nit enough purple. Dried my hair out, expensive...total hype from the company...

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2011 2:35:00 AM More reviews by AmandaB1986

This was not the best violet shampoo that I have used. It dried out my hair and didn't maintain my blonde highlights at all. They became brassy quickly and not silvery or vibrant at all like they had with much cheaper violet shampoos. Don't waste your money on this stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2011 10:59:00 AM More reviews by MKNK

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product works great! My hair is naturally a medium ash brown, but after years of having it highlighted followed by a DIY dye job attempting to go a few shades lighter (dark blonde) all over, my hair was left with all kinds of unattractive orange tones. I wanted to let my hair "rest" and grow out a bit before another attempt at color correction, so I bought the Blue Malva shampoo & conditioner to see if that would get my hair to a shade I could live with. The results are subtle and gradual, so don't expect a miraculous change on the first use, but I am very happy overall with this product line. The shampoo is not at all drying for me (as some reviews have stated), and the conditioner left my hair shinier and softer than before. My husband turned to me the other day (after I'd used these products for about four times) and said, "Whoa! Your hair isn't orange any more!" That's all the proof I need that Blue Malva works. Very pleased, despite the high cost (about $50 with tax for the 1 liter shampoo and tube of conditioner) of these products - I'd say they're worth it.