July 23, 2014 | 1680 users online

Shampoo - Aveda - Blue Malva Shampoo & Conditioner

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2014 5:17:00 AM More reviews by TennilleES

This product does tone but I can't get the icy blonde shade I'm looking for from it.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2014 11:45:00 PM More reviews by Toritoro

Usually I really like Aveda products, but I was very sad with the results of this one. I bought the shampoo to help keep my newly bleached and toned hair from getting brassy. I have fairly oily hair even after bleaching it. I usually wash every 2-4 days and I noticed that my hair was beginning to get really dry and more yellow with each use. At first, I was content with it but by the fifth wash it made my hair feel unusual. It was becoming dry, brittle and frizzy. By the third wash my hair was pretty much yellow. My hair has never felt this way before and I've never encountered this problem with the purple shampoos I've used in the past. I was very sad to the least.

Below is a linked picture of my hair when it was first done, next to how it looks after a few times of using this shampoo. It was this yellow by the third use, which was about 2-ish weeks after getting my hair done. Both photos were taken with my Iphone in natural sunlight.

Hopefully I can fix the damage it has done. I honestly wish I could give this product a better review as I do really like Aveda products, but this has unfortunately been a disappointment to me.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/16/2014 2:29:00 PM More reviews by emmadolly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

AWFUL.

It seems as if different purple shampoos work for different people, but in my experience this was not only VERY drying but turned my hair green/grey/bluey, awful! Maybe I had too much ash underneath, I'm not sure. But I agree with another reviewer, it has too much indigo and not enough purple in it to tone down yellow tones.

Shine blonde by l'oreal is much better for me, it works slowly over time but it's safer that way rather than being so abrasive it totally ruins your hair. I've had hair too yellow, too orange, and the l'oreal shampoo has solved the lot. Be patient with it and after about a month you will forget whatever original hair disaster you had!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 7:29:00 PM More reviews by MissNostalgia

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I've been using this shampoo for years.

I have purple hair, so the blue pigment in the shampoo helps keep my hair vibrant for at least a couple extra washes.

Packaging is sufficient, price is a bit high, but it smells nice, and it does exactly what it says on the bottle.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2013 10:55:00 AM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My experience is with the shampoo only. I bought the liter size and now I'm getting to the end of the bottle. Initially it didn't irritate my scalp, but recently it is horrible. My scalp feels tight and it hurts. It doesn't even do anything for my highlights. Way too expensive and won't repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/22/2013 12:29:00 PM More reviews by Cydni

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm naturally a dirty blonde. I had dark brown & red hair for years before going back to blonde (very light neutral color). My hairdresser recommended this to help with the brassiness in my hair. Shes at an aveda salon which is probably why she suggested I try it.
After using the entire bottle I can safely say that it doesnt really work.
The color is too blue to actually tone out brassiness & yellowing. Its a bit drying as well.
The smell is amazing & it leaves hair feeling super clean but if your looking for a great shampoo to help maintain color try shimmer lights or lee stafford's bleach blonde (both are cheaper & work so much better)

rated 1 of 5 on 1/2/2012 2:26:00 PM More reviews by daisylonglegs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hopeless for reducing brassiness in blond hair. Basically, it's the wrong shade...far too blue and nit enough purple. Dried my hair out, expensive...total hype from the company...

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2011 2:35:00 AM More reviews by AmandaB1986

This was not the best violet shampoo that I have used. It dried out my hair and didn't maintain my blonde highlights at all. They became brassy quickly and not silvery or vibrant at all like they had with much cheaper violet shampoos. Don't waste your money on this stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2011 10:59:00 AM More reviews by MKNK

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product works great! My hair is naturally a medium ash brown, but after years of having it highlighted followed by a DIY dye job attempting to go a few shades lighter (dark blonde) all over, my hair was left with all kinds of unattractive orange tones. I wanted to let my hair "rest" and grow out a bit before another attempt at color correction, so I bought the Blue Malva shampoo & conditioner to see if that would get my hair to a shade I could live with. The results are subtle and gradual, so don't expect a miraculous change on the first use, but I am very happy overall with this product line. The shampoo is not at all drying for me (as some reviews have stated), and the conditioner left my hair shinier and softer than before. My husband turned to me the other day (after I'd used these products for about four times) and said, "Whoa! Your hair isn't orange any more!" That's all the proof I need that Blue Malva works. Very pleased, despite the high cost (about $50 with tax for the 1 liter shampoo and tube of conditioner) of these products - I'd say they're worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2011 3:31:00 PM More reviews by Katie75007

I love the Blue Malva line -- I first used it in middle school and came back to it as an adult to tone down orange tones / brassiness in the growing out, color-treated ends of my hair. My natural color is a medium ashy brown, but when my hair gets longer, and the ends become damaged -- even when not color treated -- it can turn reddish / brassy, completely different than my roots. Blue Malva IS effective at toning down the brassiness -- it does not work immediately, but it definitely works over time, particularly when used with the conditioner. As an added bonus, it also smells great. It is no longer available in a size smaller than 1L (you can buy a pump for $1 or $2), but my bottle lasts at least six months with daily use -- not bad!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No