Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo & Conditioner

3.8

Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo Ingredients: Aqueous (Water/Aqua/Eau) Extracts/Extraits Aqueux: Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Leaf Powder, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Shell Powder, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Centaurea Cyanus Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Wheat Amino Acids, Panthenol, Tocopherol, Babassuamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-6 Cocamide, Dimethicone PEG-7 Cocoate, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Polyquaternium-10, Isostearamidopropyl Morpholine Lactate, Glycerin, Fragrance (Parfum), Geraniol, Linalool, Limonene, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Sodium Chloride, Polysorbate 80, Maltodextrin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Annato (CI 75120), Ext. Violet 2 (CI 60730). Aveda Blue Malva Conditioner Ingredients: Aqueous (Water/Aqua/Eau) Extracts/Extraits Aqueux: Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Leaf Powder, Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Flower, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Bark Powder, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Dipalmitoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Behenamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Dicaprylyl Ether, Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Tocopheryl Aceteate, Oryzanol, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil, Caramel, Cetrimonium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Linalool, Limonene, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Maltodextrin, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Basic Blue 99, Basic Red 76

on 12/29/2014 8:32:00 PM

Ok so I am a highlighted blond! I have been using it for the last 14 years. I have attempted other products but this one is the one I always go back too. I feel that it works. I only wash my hair twice a week and I find that it really works on cleaning my hair after 4 days of being unwashed. Highly recommend.

on 11/11/2014 5:12:00 PM

This review is for the shampoo and not the conditioner which I did not try. My dark hair has been grayling for years and I do not have the patience to maintain color. Luckily, the gray was kind of pretty and sparkly with nice texture so I decided to go with it. I started going to an Aveda salon and this shampoo was suggested. First of all, I don't love the fragrance - it reminds me of medicine. The shampoo did leave my hair clean and soft but the gray was becoming discolored and muddy looking - not what I wanted at all! It's a huge bottle that has no pump - it apparently doesn't come in a smaller size. Not only would I not re-purchase, I won't use the rest of the bottle.

on 10/8/2014 10:44:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Love this product on my hair. I have been growing out the grey in my dyed dark brown hair for several months and could not stand the contrast between my cooler salt and pepper roots and my brassy orangey brown ends. It looked so unkempt. Blue Malva can't hide that I'm growing out my roots, but it does make my hair look pretty in the process. My roots are pretty and shiny/sparkly and my ends are now a neutral beigy brown. I have actually been getting compliments on my shiny, pretty hair. Some have even assumed that I put the horizontal stripe in my hair deliberately, because it looks so cool.

A few words of advice. You need to leave the conditioner on for a pretty long time, at least 45 minutes, in order to neutralize the brown. Getting the grey to look good doesn't take nearly as long, but it has never hurt my hair to leave the conditioner on for hours. Unlike other blue or violet shampoos and conditioners, it has never tinged my hair blue or violet.

The smell is nice and unobtrusive. The shampoo is not harsh, but I find that I need two latherings for my hair to feel clean. The conditioner is not heavy duty, so I occasionally mix it with a heavy-duty conditioner to keep my hair in good condition.

For me, the only way that they could improve this product is to make it less expensive and easier to find.

on 5/23/2014 5:17:00 AM

This product does tone but I can't get the icy blonde shade I'm looking for from it.

on 3/17/2014 11:45:00 PM

Usually I really like Aveda products, but I was very sad with the results of this one. I bought the shampoo to help keep my newly bleached and toned hair from getting brassy. I have fairly oily hair even after bleaching it. I usually wash every 2-4 days and I noticed that my hair was beginning to get really dry and more yellow with each use. At first, I was content with it but by the fifth wash it made my hair feel unusual. It was becoming dry, brittle and frizzy. By the third wash my hair was pretty much yellow. My hair has never felt this way before and I've never encountered this problem with the purple shampoos I've used in the past. I was very sad to the least.

Below is a linked picture of my hair when it was first done, next to how it looks after a few times of using this shampoo. It was this yellow by the third use, which was about 2-ish weeks after getting my hair done. Both photos were taken with my Iphone in natural sunlight.

Hopefully I can fix the damage it has done. I honestly wish I could give this product a better review as I do really like Aveda products, but this has unfortunately been a disappointment to me.

on 2/16/2014 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

AWFUL.

It seems as if different purple shampoos work for different people, but in my experience this was not only VERY drying but turned my hair green/grey/bluey, awful! Maybe I had too much ash underneath, I'm not sure. But I agree with another reviewer, it has too much indigo and not enough purple in it to tone down yellow tones.

Shine blonde by l'oreal is much better for me, it works slowly over time but it's safer that way rather than being so abrasive it totally ruins your hair. I've had hair too yellow, too orange, and the l'oreal shampoo has solved the lot. Be patient with it and after about a month you will forget whatever original hair disaster you had!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I've been using this shampoo for years.

I have purple hair, so the blue pigment in the shampoo helps keep my hair vibrant for at least a couple extra washes.

Packaging is sufficient, price is a bit high, but it smells nice, and it does exactly what it says on the bottle.

on 3/11/2013 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My experience is with the shampoo only. I bought the liter size and now I'm getting to the end of the bottle. Initially it didn't irritate my scalp, but recently it is horrible. My scalp feels tight and it hurts. It doesn't even do anything for my highlights. Way too expensive and won't repurchase.

on 2/22/2013 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I'm naturally a dirty blonde. I had dark brown & red hair for years before going back to blonde (very light neutral color). My hairdresser recommended this to help with the brassiness in my hair. Shes at an aveda salon which is probably why she suggested I try it.
After using the entire bottle I can safely say that it doesnt really work.
The color is too blue to actually tone out brassiness & yellowing. Its a bit drying as well.
The smell is amazing & it leaves hair feeling super clean but if your looking for a great shampoo to help maintain color try shimmer lights or lee stafford's bleach blonde (both are cheaper & work so much better)

Hopeless for reducing brassiness in blond hair. Basically, it's the wrong shade...far too blue and nit enough purple. Dried my hair out, expensive...total hype from the company...