November 23, 2014 | 1274 users online

Eye Shadow - Stila - Viola Eyeshadow

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2011 9:50:00 PM More reviews by starrysim

I've been lusting after Viola for so long, and finally got my paws on it - right as it was discontinued. It's a shame that it's gone from the permanent lineup (at least at my local stores). It's a complex colour - a purpley, mauvy, browny kind of colour, sort of like MAC's Shale. The texture is amazing Stila quality - buttery smooth and blendable, but without fallout. 5 lippies for sure.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2010 12:35:00 AM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

For some reason, this color seems to be a bit less pigmented/blendable than the other Stila eyeshadows I have, which is strange. It's kind of a.. taupey purple, on me, if that makes sense. The purpleish undertone makes my eyes look pretty nice, I think, but as others have pointed out, it can accentuate undereye blackness, so I think this is one that needs to be worn with thick concealer/foundation to really work. I purchased it at The Rack for like 9 bucks, so I'm okay with it. Had I purchased it at full price, I would have returned it. I would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2010 12:56:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I think I'm in love!

I've been wanting Viola for a while now, since I love Stila's shadows, and thought this color sounded like one of those neutral-with-a-splash-of-purple shades that work so beautifully to play up my unusual bright green eye color.

So, when I recently received a discount code for 20% off, plus free shipping, I hastened to the Stila site, only to find that Viola is no longer there! I don't know if it's been discontinued, or is just out of stock.

But I digress. I zipped to eBay and scored a new Viola for a bargain price.

About the color: Viola is a subdued but complex medium-to-deep grayish/brownish/taupe purple with a lovely shimmer. To me, it suggests a deeper, more heavily pigmented version of MAC's beautiful LE shadow, Hypnotizing. In fact, today I'm wearing Hypnotizing on the lid, with Viola in the crease, and it looks delicately understated, but not boring, and is wonderfully flattering to my coloring (NW15, brunette, green eyes).

I expect to wear Viola a LOT, and will eagerly repurchase it, if it hasn't been discontinued. :(
UPDATE, JUST TWO DAYS LATER: I found out, via Stila's Facebook page, that while Viola *is* discontinued, it presently lives on in the "vintage" section of Stila's site.

So, when Stila had a sale on their "vintage" items, Viola included, I backed it up!

Happily, it will be a very long time before I'm without this beautiful, beautiful shadow! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2010 1:34:00 PM More reviews by snow_melt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Viola is one of my newer Stila shadows - it never jumped out to me as a color that would suit me. (Pinks usually look awful on me.) However, hearing about Viola's taupe-tones piqued my interest.

I was pleasantly surprised by this eyeshadow. The finish is a satiny shimmer, the color a mauve darkened by a taupe undertone. When I wear this, the pink tone shimmers, but doesn't overpower. The color subtly enhances the green in my eyes and doesn't make my eyes look tired or like the victims of allergy season.

The other day I used this color as a wash over my lids and into my crease. To add dimension, I added Stila's Cloud over the center of the lid. This looks lasted all day (16 hours), looking just as finished as when I put the shadows on in the morning. The staying power, creaminess, and color choices of Stila eyeshadows make these my favorites among high-end shadows. Would definitely re-purchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2009 12:17:00 PM More reviews by AngelOnFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Iíve had Viola for ages now and it is one of those sure-fire, no fuss items for me. The slightly purple, mauve colour is delicate and subtle (bordering on unimpressive in the pan), but can be built up in layers or put on with a wet brush which enhances its colour as well. It has a slight shimmer to it, the finish is more satin than frosty. The eye shadow goes on smoothly and is very easy to blend. Iím very pale, have cold and dark, green eyes and this makes them pop out quite nicely. I use alone as a wash, or along with Cassia and Pigalle as crease shadows or liners. Viola or the combination of any of the aforementioned shadows does not make my eyes appear tired or red as some of the posters here complained. Great product!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/9/2008 11:32:00 PM More reviews by Jillsmith

I don't think that this product works for me. A few people had recommended this color to me. Plus, someone at Sephora tried it on me. Depsite my misgivings, I bought it anyway. I tend to have a problem with dark circles around my eyes and I think that this shade exacerbated it. So, I put it up for swap and traded it for Bouquet (an old favorite of mine).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2008 7:34:00 PM More reviews by cosmokid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

One of my favourite Stila eyeshadow shades, Viola is a shimmery mauve taupe. It's like a more mauve version of Grace (which is another of Stila's best shades) and the two work quite nicely together.
It's pretty, unique and really flattering with my neutral skintone and green eyes.
Whether I wear this just as a wash with black liquid liner or with other shadows (today I'm wearing it with Cassia and Storm) I always have a good makeup day when I wear this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2008 5:34:00 AM More reviews by AxlsRose

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This colour looks great with my hazel greeny gold eyes. Nice to all around the eye in place of eyeliner. Nice

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2008 9:54:00 AM More reviews by elnash

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Stila's shadows are very high-quality and I own others that I love. Viola was recommended to me a couple years ago by an SA at the Stila counter, and after getting home and trying it on, I had to wonder why! With my really pale complexion and my tendency with undereye circles, this shadow makes me look like someone punched me in the eye. I keep trying it, thinking I'll find something to pair it with, but no dice. Putting it up for swap. I imagine that it would look very nice on someone with a somewhat darker complexion and green or brown eyes.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2007 8:46:00 PM More reviews by jojobean

Love the color...but I had to put on many coats to have it show up on me....I have brown eyes and this is a nice color, but the amount I have to use doesn't warrant me buying it again.