Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Glycolic Acid (alpha hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (chamomile/soothing agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Sodium PCA (water-binding agents), Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Hydroxyethylcellulose,), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben (all preservatives).

on 4/6/2015 9:06:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I did love it!
Did clean my face and maintained it that way.
I gave this 4 lipies, because i like the 2% BHA lotion better ( it goes better with my spf cream )!...but this is great also

on 3/26/2015 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been using this off and on for a few years now. I have very sensitive skin and cannot tolerate any of the higher % products on the market. These days I only use it once or twice a month in order to smooth things out as I can't tolerate physical scrubs. HG AHA for me since it gets the job done, I like the texture, and it contains none of my acne/irritation triggers.

on 3/16/2015 9:03:00 PM

I will never be without this product or Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel. I alternate between the two of them. I use them every day, and I am a 45 year old with oily skin that is not sensitive, some wrinkles, some sun damage. occasional acne. This makes my skin smooth, clear and helps with preventing breakouts. I haven't noticed a huge difference in my hyperpigmentation from this product. For that, I use the Fade Peel from MUAC as well as the Lactic Acid peel. But this is a great, everyday exfoliant for oilier skins.
I went for a facial last week and the facialist coudn't believe that I hadnt had a facial in over 3 years--she said my skin was in excellent condition.

on 3/2/2015 3:29:00 AM

Pros: Effective AHA exfoliant in stable packaging, large amount of product included

Cons: A little expensive, and texture is sticky.

This is a good product, but a good AHA isn't so hard to find. There are others that are less expensive, just as effective, and with a more pleasing texture.

What I use instead: currently, I use Olay Night Resurfacing Elixir on a daily basis, and Alpha Hydrox 12% Souffle once a week.

on 2/24/2015 8:00:00 AM

I have acne prone, sensitive, extremly oily skin that is covered in clogged pores. Using this together with Paula's BHA made a huge difference in my skin. It has never ever been so smooth and pores are so much less visible. I am switching between those two every other day. I am so happy that I finally discovered something that is working for this type of skin, and yes, I will repurchase as soon as I run out of it.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

So far I like this it has replaced my Peter Thomas Roth Acid gel I use it at night layered with other products, its helped clear up some congestion I have in my chin and nose area. The price and quantity is much better then the PTR acid gel I was using.

on 2/1/2015 3:44:00 PM

An excellent product, through and through.

An incredible exfoliant and doesn't agitate my skin. Keeps my skin clear and smooth and lightens dark spots(sunspots/ance spots). Love it!

The texture is a sticky gel, which was little strange at first, but it dries rapidly. The smell is acidic (surprise) but it isnt offensive.

I only uses this at night.

I've gone through several bottles and I'm sure I will go through many more. Total holy grail!

on 1/29/2015 7:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I've deleted my original 1 lippie review because I don't think it gives a fair reflection of this product. This bottle has been lying dormant in my bathroom cabinet for the last year, because it wreaked havoc on my skin a while back, but I decided to give it a try again. Unfortunately it seems that my skin just can't handle AHA's because I get break-outs every single time I've tried this. This is no fault of the product itself, I have it with all lotions/creams containing AHA's.
I would advise anyone considering this to try it out first, PC has a sample service.

on 1/27/2015 9:44:00 AM

I've been using this at night for about 1-2 weeks on my forehead, and then I wash it off in the morning.

When I tried the sample all over my face, it had stung - not as much the burning sensation, but more like little tiny ant bites that sort of caused some itching. It was bearable, but irritating. I don't know if you're meant to rub it in or slather it all over your face and wait for it to dry, but I tried both and I didn't see any difference so I did the latter.

What I immediately noticed within the first few seconds upon application was that the two little red pimples on my face quickly and quite noticeably grew in size and had started to become whiteheads. I had to wash off the gel on those areas before my pimples became horrible. Regardless, I wasn't deterred, although I stopped putting it on any spots.

In the morning, I washed if off, and I did notice some brightening, but more obvious was the tiny little bumps across my skin. I don't have severe acne, extremely sensitive skin, nor am I inexperienced with acids, so I was quite surprised. Definitely try the sample before you buy it, in case you do get some sort of reaction. I heard people say that it did start off bumpy before it could get better so now I'm just using it on my forehead in the hopes of reducing my frown lines and premature forehead wrinkles.

After a week's use, I haven't seen much visible change - the tiny little acne scar I've had since initial use is still visible, but just slightly lighter, nor do I notice anything different about my wrinkles or frown lines, but the stinging is hardly felt, my skin does look less dry, and the little bumps I experienced initially haven't appeared again. Maybe it's because I didn't use as much as when I first tried with the sample so maybe it's working a little slow. Nonetheless, I'm persevering with high hopes.

on 1/27/2015 3:15:00 AM

I use this for 2 years now, about 5 times a week at night, and sometimes also during the day.

I've never had any problems with irritation or break-outs. Only the first time it stings a bit.

It makes my skin a bit softer.
I doesn't make my skin "radiant" or "glowing", like others say.

It should also build up collagen, but I didn't see any improvement on wrinkles or sagging skin though. But maybe without it, it would be worse, you never know.

Popular Treatments (Face)