August 29, 2014 | 1896 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Crabtree & Evelyn - Gardeners Hand Therapy

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2013 2:52:00 AM More reviews by flagpoling

A just decent handcream, but not good enough to justify the price. The cold winter weather where I live can leave my hands stripped down until they're just short of cracking and peeling (or so it feels), which is only exasperated by the frequent handwashing necessitated by my job. I usually look for a hand-cream that doesn't come off too heavy/oily, has a nice scent, and moisturises thoroughly. Got the normal size from the store, and a travel size from a friend.

What I liked about this product:
1. Lightness. The product is not heavy/thick or waxy/oily at all; it's not too intense for day-time and doesn't leave behind a filmy residue. With this, I wouldn't feel like I'm rubbing my hand in olive oil all day, unlike with some other products.
2. Scent. Not exactly the winning scent of scents, but isn't repulsive/pungent in the least. A light, really almost near chemical whiff of earthly floral that definitely does not overwhelm (or underwhelm, I guess).

What I didn't like:
1. Low moisturising power. I usually use Burt's Bees or Kiehl's, which I find leave my hands softer than Crabtree's (although BBee's leaves my hands waxy, with a peculiar smell, and Kiehl's, has an equally odd smell and is a bit on the thick side). I've tried this cream as an night cream, but didn't see a significant/wow change over the period of a month. In general, this product hasn't made my hand feel softer, but it did make it feel ~less dry at least for the hour after application.
2. The price. Even if Crabtree isn't on the pricey end when it comes to skincare products, I honestly would not re-purchase this at the original price.
3. Doesn't last. Whenever I have this (the travel version) as the lotion of the day in my purse, somehow I always end up taking it out three, four times a day--and not because it smells amazing or because I want to show off cute packaging or anything. The thing just doesn't last. I'm not sure what happens to it, honestly--it's not like I rub my hands over everything I touch?--can imagine, though, that this might be due to how light the product is? Perhaps it washes out easily?
4. The packaging (travel size) is not the best. While the plastic cap almost looks hip, it is flimsy. Some of my other friends who own the same product have ended up with caps that broke after only a few months of wear, which is horrible for whatever bag you might be carrying it in (and a waste of product, as it dries up faster when there's a gap in the packaging). Also, it's in a metal tube, which isn't the sleekest ever, and frankly has the look of a tube of well-decorated paint when it curls up and--argh.

I do think this is a pretty good product for people with hands that aren't too dry to begin with, and want a lotion for the Just In Cases. But for people with truly dry hands that aren't into digging for their lotion every other hour, there are better/stronger products out there, for nearly the same price.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2013 11:52:00 AM More reviews by amieey

Works well but it's pretty pricey

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2013 2:13:00 AM More reviews by apgoh2

I got this in a sampler size that is very handbag friendly.However, I would not recommend this hand cream... while it does not leave a greasy film on the hands after using, it also does not moisturise well at all. I use this during winter in the cruel Melbourne weather, and can't tell much discernible difference. Pricey, and probably would not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2012 1:09:00 AM More reviews by Karidinka

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like this cream, but honestly, it's not that great as everyone here claims. In terms of moisturizing, I would say it's decent, nothing more.

But I simply ADORE the smell! I use this whenever I don't need super-duper hand repair.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2012 11:53:00 AM More reviews by 4ngel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Out of all the hand creams of theirs I tried, this comes 2nd in their range. Somehow it does a better job at moisturising my hands than the rosewater and lavender ones did.
That said, I preferred the La source one as the scent felt more fresh.

Does an ok job of moisturising my hands, but since I tend to have contact dermatitis on my hands this just doesn't cut it when my skin is more dry than usual.

Much prefer my HG which is the Kiehls one.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2012 6:40:00 AM More reviews by ze07

Love love love this product! However, it's best if you use it before you go to bed and if you sleep in an air-conditioned room. It's a bit rich to apply during daytime.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2011 8:26:00 AM More reviews by Aishteru85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Okay, I have been using this a good three months. This for me is a very decent hand lotion. I have been using this every night before i go to bed for the last three months. And I have to say it has improved the condition of my hands tremendously. I started noticing that my hands were getting very dry after each hand wash. This was never the case before. I guess as we age, we start to have drier skin, and at 26 I've been starting to see the change in my skin. I am not one to use lotion, as i felt that they are a hassle. But now, i use them religiously as my skin has changed quite a bit. The consistency of the lotion is much like most hand lotions, but i felt that this is less oily as compared to other brands. Easy to absorb and not super thick. After a few minutes of applying this, it would have absorbed completely making my hands super soft and nicely hydrated. It felt somewhat sticky and greasy upon application but goes off after a few minutes of application.

The scent of this lotion is very green and garden-like, it smelled as though you have just stepped into a garden. I like the earthy smell to it. And its mild enough not to be offensive. I feel that even after a handwash, this still keeps my hands pretty moisturized. I purchased this in the 100g tube and it costs around USD 24.00 where i'm at. Very pricey. But even after 3 months of using I've only used 70% of the tube, so it will perhaps last me another 6 months or so. Would I repurchase this? Yes, for the reason that this actually helps my hands become softer with regular use and that my roughened spot is completely gone. Highly recommended!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2011 10:34:00 PM More reviews by trillium13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my HG hand cream, hands down. (pardon the pun) I have a ton of these around my house, in all different scents. This scent is probably my favorite, so I will put my review here. This is a lovely thick cream that sinks in quickly and leaves your hands beautifully soft. There is no stickyness, no slimeyness, and no weird residue, it soaks in perfectly. It is especially wonderful when used after C&E's Hand Recovery (this product doesn't get enough love IMO) It doesn't really last through a lot of handwashing, but I'm ok with this. I'm something of a hand cream junkie, but I always go back to this one, as it is by far my favorite.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2011 4:42:00 AM More reviews by Zara02

The best hand cream ever!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2011 2:42:00 PM More reviews by Tigris

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I don't get it either.
It's as good as any other average hand lotion, but I have to re-apply a lot of times during the day and even then my hands don't feel soft.

The price is OK, but the lid annoyed me to the point that on the 3rd day I just got rid of it. If the lotion dries out I'll live.

The smell is horrible, but I guess you'll either love it or hate it. It's just not for me.

I think my Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour hand treatment is better than Crabtree & Evelyn, but next time I'll try Au Lait Hand Cream because that at least smells heavenly.