Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Cream Cleanser

3.3

OLD FORMULA: Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (2%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium C14 16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Di C12 15 Alkyl Fumarate, Coco Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, DEA Cetyl Phosphate, Matricaria Flower Extract (chamomilla recutita), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Potato Starch (solanum tuberosum), Propylene Glycol, Fragrance 5/29/09 NEW FORMULA: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, PPG-15 Stearyl Ether, Glycolic Acid, Glycerin, Steareth-21, Polysorbate 60, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, Cetyl Lactate Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Panthenol, Benzalkonium Chloride, Menthol, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Cetyl, Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance. 04/08/2011

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Love this product! I've been using it for 5 years. It keeps my acne at bay and doesn't cause noticeable dryness.

on 7/10/2015 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my holy grail face wash for my morning routine!
I have adult hormonal acne. After 6 months of trial and error, I finally got it under control by using a prescription sulfur face wash followed by Retin-A Micro at night and this Neutrogena cream cleanser and clindamycin lotion in the morning (and sunscreen EVERY day).
I use the cream cleanser in the shower, and I leave it on like a mask for 1-2 minutes while I'm shaving or rinsing out my conditioner. The salicylic acid is great for fading my post-acne red marks. It does contain menthol, so I don't use it around my eyes (even though the menthol sensation is very mild). It contains fragrance, but that's also very mild. It leaves my skin feeling moisturized and VERY soft. This also works great when using my SpaSonic facial cleansing brush.
Sometimes this cleanser is hard to find in stores, so I buy it from drugstore.com. :-)

on 2/22/2015 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

4/20/2015 edit: I still love this cleanser but it's taken a backseat to my beloved Simple Micellar cleansing water. There is a review for that in my profile if you are interested.

I originally gave this 4 stars. But as I've been using it for several months it has really "wowed" me considering it's such a basic drugstore cleanser.

The cons:
-Must use an oil cleanser beforehand to remove make up.
-Must rinse twice in order for the face to feel clean with no tacky film.

Now for the pros:
-It contains both BHA (2% salicylic acid) and glycolic acid. These two work together quite well. Glycolic acid sloughs off the dead skincells over pores, the salicylic acid goes in to "clean them out". Over time this chemical exfoliation should lessen acne and the scars pimples leave behind.
-Fragrance is the very last ingredient so it doesn't irritate my sensitive, rosacea prone skin. My skin looked calm and even after using this vs red and upset. There's actually this tingly sensation I get from using this cleanser. Initially I freaked out because my skin doesn't play well with menthol or peppermint oil. But the ingredient list does not mention either. In fact the ingredients, albeit not impressive, are decent. It even has vitamin B5 (Panthenol) in it to act as a natural moisturizing agent.
-Cheap.

Do I think this is a decent product? Very much so. Do I think your acne will clear up by using this? Not at all, unless yours is minimal. Although I don't see any reason to advise against using it in an acne fighting regime - your skincare routine will need more than just this to prevent pimples. Id rec using an oil cleanser, then Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Cream Cleanser, then a leave on solution. *I* personally like calamine lotion or silica gel used as an overnight mask. Every other night I use Silk Naturals lactic acid AHA toner. Others may have better luck with a BHA moisturizer, glycolic acid cream, or benzoyl peroxide gel...ect ect.

on 11/20/2014 6:39:00 PM

This used to work for me, like a charm. Then about 2 or 3 years ago they added glycolic acid to the mix and I had to stop using it. It made me break out in a red pimply rash that took FOREVER to get rid of. Unfortunate too. I hate when Neutrogena changes their formulas. Leave well enough alone!

on 7/28/2014 10:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my everyday morning cleanser. It keeps my skin clear without drying out my skin. I finally learned that a cream cleanser is what I needed in addition to acne fighting medicine so that my skin doesn't panic. Recommended for those with sensitive skin prone to T-zone breakouts. It doesn't foam and feels, well, creamy - which is weird for an acne product but just what my skin needs.

on 3/26/2014 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

@yeezytaughtme This product is for people with dry skin which is probably why you did not like it and it made you break out. People with combination/oily skin should use scrubs and foaming cleansers because they are better suited for your skin's chemistry. As for my review, I have been using this product for years and absolutely love it. It has a nice creamy consistency that strips away makeup and impurities without drying my skin out and leaves my skin feeling clean and fresh. I rarely get breakouts using this. Neutrogena just came out with a new version of this that contains BP. I have only used it once so I can't say much for it yet. I might only use it once a week as BP is very drying. The only thing I don.'to like about this is the price. It is normally $12 at Shoppers Drug Mart which is kind of pricy for the size of the bottle. I usually wait until it goes on sale and I buy 2 or 3 to last me a while. Other than that, I highly recommend this product.

This is a horrible cleanser. I would not recommend this to anyone. i have combination-oily/ acne prone skin and this cleanser made me breakout. this cleanser feels very heavy and greasy on the skin, it doesnt feel like its cleaning at all. it also contains harsh chemicals like menthol and fragrances which just irritate the skin.

on 1/6/2014 8:58:00 PM

I've been using this face wash for about a year or so now and I just can't seem to stop. It's not any different from any other face wash, but it has that feeling of clean after you dry your face. I know some face washes tend to dry your face out afterwards, but I don't have a problem with this one. It hasn't broken me out which I like and it seems to get the job done. I must say, I don't break out very often but this keeps breakouts at bay when I do.

on 12/22/2013 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This stuff did NOTHING for my skin that normally responds well to salycilic acid.

on 10/4/2013 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love cream cleansers. This one feels so buttery smooth on my skin and my skin feels clean and hydrated afterwards. I leave it on for a minute or two. It seems to really work. I like it. It has a nice cucumber smell and my skin in conjunction with the rapid acne lotion both seem to be helping turn my skin around. The only thing I don't like about it is that it contains menthol. The only thing menthol is good for is a "cooling" sensation. If it wasn't in the product it would be perfect.