December 20, 2014 | 1578 users online

Masks - Boots - Botanics Shine Away Ionic Clay Mask

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2014 5:53:00 PM More reviews by evanlami

This is a great, cheap-ish mask. It refines my pores, gets rid of a lot of oil and makes my complexion much brighter. It's not my HG, but it does give me good results and I would definitely recommend it for a cheaper clay mask!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/12/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by SanFranGirl

I really wanted to love this product but it actually made my skin feel even worse before I have used it.

I guess I should start by saying my skin is dry anyway - so perhaps using a mask that is formulated to fight impurities and excessive oil - was not a very smart decision. I do have some clogged pores and hoped that using this mask would help me get rid of the 'dark heads'.

I loved everything about this mask, its formula, feel and even ingredients. When I rinsed it - my skin looked fabulous. However not for too long. Next day I woke up to some regrets as I have noticed my nose and forehead looking extra dry and patchy. I could feel skin flaking which is never a hot look.

I still think this mask is a relatively good product - just not for someone with dry skin.
Fore more details on this and similar drugstore clay masks you can head here:

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2014 9:05:00 PM More reviews by Boricua333

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used this mask about 2-3 times now, and I really like it. Just a quick disclaimer: this mask is aimed towards oily skin, so people with dry to normal skin may not be impressed with the results.

Consistency:
I actually love the texture of this mask, which was surprising because a lot of reviewers were complaining about "runniness". Some people claimed that the texture was so watery that they needed a brush to apply the product. I didn't experience this; I could smooth it on well with my hands. Once it dries, it sets on your face just like any other mask, except you waste less product. I could picture this tube lasting me a very long time, because a little goes a long way.

Smell:
The smell is not pleasant, but not bad either. It has a very natural, earthy smell, like clay.

Results:
This product leaves my skin soft and matte and I like to use this before and after a long day of wearing makeup. One con that I will note, is that other masks have left my skin softer and smoother, but those masks didn't mattify and get rid of excess oils like this one. When I smooth this product on, I immediately see and feel it absorbing dirt and oils from my pores. The results are very satisfying and I have to hold myself back from using this mask every day! Bonus: the mask allows blackheads to be extracted easier. :D

Price:
I found this product at Target for $9.39 with 3.5 oz of product.

Comparison to Queen Helene:
I love both masks equally for different reasons. Queen Helene is great for all skin types and is an all-purpose sort of mask. The mint in this mask might irritate certain skin types. The Botanics mask is specifically for oily skin, as I mentioned before. So, it really depends on the person's needs.

This product isn't a miracle. This is not going to cure your acne or turn oily skin into normal skin. No, this product is not a genie in a bottle. The best way to clear acne (as expensive and horrible it is) is to go to a local dermatologist and get prescribed medication. Now if you want a fantastic addition to the rest of your basic skin care regime (cleanser, toner, and moisturizer), this is an excellent product.

I appreciate that the Botanics brand has a section specifically for oily skin. (On a side note, I also bought the cleaning mousse and that worked decently, but I wasn't thrilled.) They have all types of products aimed towards various skin types for a very reasonable price, so try out this line if you're looking for inexpensive yet quality skincare products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2014 7:32:00 PM More reviews by AnOmali

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Black

Might be my HG...

This stuff makes my pores look invisible...and the shrinking seems to last indefinitely with regular use of this and their brightening toner...

If left on a pimple over night, it literally shrinks to the point of almost vanishing...it speeds healing of pimples like crazy...gets all of the gunk out of them...

It does not dry out my skin unless used excessively in large areas (like more than once a day, which I've done to shrink a large pimple or two...and it works)...

It makes my skin look gorgeous...I'm really starting to love this line...

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2014 5:53:00 AM More reviews by sprite26

This clay mask is giving my Queen Helene's Mint Julep a run for its money. Deep cleans all the gunk out of my pores, I can actually see all the little dots of absorbed oil after it dries. Very smooth texture upon application. And it's so gentle! No tingling sensation, and also no detectable scent. I see a lot of reviews mentioning an unpleasant smell, maybe I got lucky with a good batch of product. That's something I'll keep in mind when I buy this in the future because I definitely will.
This mask leaves my combo-oily skin extra clean but not at all dried-out. Just soft & smooth. Recommended!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2014 5:49:00 AM More reviews by Dowagr

i bought 2 of it as there was a promotion at boots.. i gave 1 tube to my sister and use the other on myself. the first 2 times it was OK, dries well, abit flaky, works well for my very oily and clogged skin. i remember being quite pleased with it. after that it changed consistency and smell really funky. it became really watery so i had to shake well before using, and then it smelled like a VINEGARY FUNK WITH A STRONG BLOOD SMELL. pardon the imagery, it literally smelled like that to me.

i tried to ignore it cos i just opened it not long ago and i refused to believe it has already gone bad.

thank god it didnt broke me out when i used it, but the smell.. gosh, it's gross. will not buy it again as there are much better clay mask out there in the market with a longer shelf life which does the same if not better.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2014 11:18:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A simple ingredient clay mask consisting of water, ocean clay and willow bark extract. It is a of a watery consistency so shake it well before applying. I leave it on for 15 minutes and it does not irritate my combination skin. Rinses off easily with having to scrub the skin. I don't really notice any type of scent with this, so I am not sure why the previous reviewer states that it smells like rotting potatoes.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by rose8287

This mask was fantastic! There are only six ingredients, most of which are certified organic. The dead sea silt draws out impurities and leaves my skin soft and glowing!
This was the first mask I ever bought, and was only $9 at target. The tube lasts for quite a while and is very convenient to use. The mask appears to work best when its spread in a thin layer, a little goes a long way. It quite literally pulls the oil out of your pores and you can see the oil spots in the mask.
Highly recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2014 11:33:00 PM More reviews by sh2blonde

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! I put it one once a week (like it suggests) before I get in the shower and I leave it on while I clean up. I can actually feel it cleaning out those dirty pours! Then I wash it off when I clean my hair. I love how thick the cream is and the nice organic green color. No fruity smells like some of the other brands that remind me of household cleaners. It feels great and leaves my skin shine-free without dry spots. LOVE

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2013 10:40:00 AM More reviews by FusiaFever

I wasn't meaning to get a drugstore mask. But after reading all these positive reviews and being pleased with this brand, I gave it a go. I was at first surprised by the size of the product. For the price, I had expected more product. And the mixture seemed pretty runny in the tube.

However, after use, I can easily say that this is a great deal. The mask contains natural oceanic clay with plant extracts. You must shake the tube before application. The mask dries fairly quickly and may be washed off in 10-20 minutes. It definitely tightens your pores and removes impurities.

I will definitely repurchase. I got it on sale for $7.98. I believe that it usually retails for $9. I like that this contains naturally active ingredients, while not having to mix it up like Aztec Clay mask.