Boots Botanics Shine Away Ionic Clay Mask

4.4

Sea silt (Natural oceanic clay), Aqua (Water), Potassium sorbate, Sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, Salix nigra (Willow) bark extract

on 4/30/2015 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This mask is such a great product! I have sensitive, combination/oily skin, prone to blackheads and the occasional hormonal breakout, and this mask actually feels pretty nourishing for a clay product. It doesn't dry out the non-oily parts of my face and doesn't leave me with that stripped, tight-face sensation other masks do. The best part for me, gross as it may sound, is that you can see the impurities it draws out of your skin as it dries, which I find oddly satisfying.
I've been using it once every six days and notice a big difference in my complexion and the appearance of my pores, which actually look unclogged and smaller even a couple of days after using the mask. It doesn't provoke any redness or irritation and I haven't had any adverse reaction so far, so I will definitely keep using and repurchasing until it stops working.

on 3/2/2015 2:13:00 AM

This is a truly amazing product! I have tried many different brands, both high-end and drugstore, and this is BY FAR the best!

It is the only clay mask I have ever used that did not break me out. It dries pretty quickly and comes off easily. The neat part about this mask is that you can see the dark spots of oil that is pulled out of your pores after the mask dries. It leaves the skin very smooth and soft. Your skin will feel tight if you do not moisturize afterwards.

Target now carries Boots products, so for less than $10 you can try it and take it back if you don't like it. Ulta.com also sells it.

on 2/27/2015 12:30:00 PM

This mask is heaven sent for my sensitive combination skin which clogs really easily.
It deep-cleans without being drying (most things feel drying on my skin, so this is HG effect). Skin feels fresh and nourished from the clay, and does not aggravate my rosacea. I apply after double cleansing, and I make sure I get it all off by first rinsing, then using a warm washcloth to get the last residue off.
Used 2 times a week this (+acid toner daily) really helps me clear the blackheads, and I really think (from experience) that's because it's so simple and doesn't strip your skin - just a nice deep-clean that doesn't freak your skin out.
Also, the Botanics Facial Oil is lovely to use after this if you have combination skin - it seems to boost the nourishment and my skin looks glowing. Hope they never discontinue this mask!

on 1/25/2015 1:55:00 AM

I've been using this mask for about four years now- long enough to witness a few new scents and ingredients and a smaller package and higher price tag. I always end up happy with this product. I like that the ingredients are natural and I love that when I use it I can see the results (it's clay so you can see the junk from your pores get sucked out-gross but important). I can totally see a difference in my skin, it always looks its best the day after I use this mask.
I can't say enough about this product- while it may not be HG status it is amazing for the price point! You have to give it a shot!
Also, I have pretty dry skin since it's January, and I can use this mask once a week and be fine. I always use my Clinique moisture surge night mask after and I find my skin feels fine, not too tight.

on 1/21/2015 5:50:00 PM

Go & get it at target now! I've used this mask for years although I think they've made a slight reformulation lately but it's still good. The price is reasonable (although it used to be even cheaper) and is a really great deep cleaning clay mask. I love it because it works and yes it smells kind of like dirt/earthy because hello it's a clay mask but I don't mind because I don't want any added fragrances or unnecessary ingredients on my face anyways. It can be a little drying because it's sucking all the crap out (I have combo skin, slightly oily t zone) but just put on some moisturizer after and you're good.

I've used other much more expensive clay masks (Boscia black, glamglow, DHC, etc.) but this is my go to because I really don't see a difference. I like to save my dollars for products that stay on my face all day or night where it can actually benefit from the ingredients.

on 1/14/2015 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is a great product for the price. Even though it's a clay, oil-absorbing mask, it didn't overdry my skin or make it feel itchy. My skin did feel a little tight afterwards, but that's expected with a clay mask. The mask dried pretty quickly, and I could see the little dots of oil that the mask drew out afterwards, so I know that it's working.

I noticed some people have been complaining about the smell - it is a little herbal but not offputting. This mask didn't make my skin as smooth as other masks have (like Clinique Acne Solutions Oil-Control Cleansing Mask), but it did help with oil production the next day. A really great product overall with not very many ingredients and mostly organic.

on 12/27/2014 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

First of all, this product is a bit on the pricey side for the amount you are given. However, it is a great product! It's a very watery consistency, which can get a bit messy! Also, it doesn't have the best smell, but it doesn't linger once you wash it off. As the mask dries on your face, it basically "purges" your pores. Once it's all dry and your pores have been "emptied", it looks really gross to be honest. Seeing that though makes me really feel like it's doing its job and deeply cleaning my pores! When you scrub it off, it feels a bit grainy, so you even get a little bit of exfoliation! I love this mask, and will continue to buy it despite the price and smell. (:

on 11/17/2014 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a great, cheap-ish mask. It refines my pores, gets rid of a lot of oil and makes my complexion much brighter. It's not my HG, but it does give me good results and I would definitely recommend it for a cheaper clay mask!

on 11/12/2014 3:36:00 PM

I really wanted to love this product but it actually made my skin feel even worse before I have used it.

I guess I should start by saying my skin is dry anyway - so perhaps using a mask that is formulated to fight impurities and excessive oil - was not a very smart decision. I do have some clogged pores and hoped that using this mask would help me get rid of the 'dark heads'.

I loved everything about this mask, its formula, feel and even ingredients. When I rinsed it - my skin looked fabulous. However not for too long. Next day I woke up to some regrets as I have noticed my nose and forehead looking extra dry and patchy. I could feel skin flaking which is never a hot look.

I still think this mask is a relatively good product - just not for someone with dry skin.
Fore more details on this and similar drugstore clay masks you can head here:

on 10/12/2014 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I've used this mask about 2-3 times now, and I really like it. Just a quick disclaimer: this mask is aimed towards oily skin, so people with dry to normal skin may not be impressed with the results.

Consistency:
I actually love the texture of this mask, which was surprising because a lot of reviewers were complaining about "runniness". Some people claimed that the texture was so watery that they needed a brush to apply the product. I didn't experience this; I could smooth it on well with my hands. Once it dries, it sets on your face just like any other mask, except you waste less product. I could picture this tube lasting me a very long time, because a little goes a long way.

Smell:
The smell is not pleasant, but not bad either. It has a very natural, earthy smell, like clay.

Results:
This product leaves my skin soft and matte and I like to use this before and after a long day of wearing makeup. One con that I will note, is that other masks have left my skin softer and smoother, but those masks didn't mattify and get rid of excess oils like this one. When I smooth this product on, I immediately see and feel it absorbing dirt and oils from my pores. The results are very satisfying and I have to hold myself back from using this mask every day! Bonus: the mask allows blackheads to be extracted easier. :D

Price:
I found this product at Target for $9.39 with 3.5 oz of product.

Comparison to Queen Helene:
I love both masks equally for different reasons. Queen Helene is great for all skin types and is an all-purpose sort of mask. The mint in this mask might irritate certain skin types. The Botanics mask is specifically for oily skin, as I mentioned before. So, it really depends on the person's needs.

This product isn't a miracle. This is not going to cure your acne or turn oily skin into normal skin. No, this product is not a genie in a bottle. The best way to clear acne (as expensive and horrible it is) is to go to a local dermatologist and get prescribed medication. Now if you want a fantastic addition to the rest of your basic skin care regime (cleanser, toner, and moisturizer), this is an excellent product.

I appreciate that the Botanics brand has a section specifically for oily skin. (On a side note, I also bought the cleaning mousse and that worked decently, but I wasn't thrilled.) They have all types of products aimed towards various skin types for a very reasonable price, so try out this line if you're looking for inexpensive yet quality skincare products.