September 1, 2014 | 1944 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Cream Lipstick in Dubonnet

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2014 7:27:00 PM More reviews by cahall2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my go-to, everyday, wearable red. I'm fair, but with warm undertones to my skin, so the blue-based reds (like Russian Red) take more work for me to wear. I can make it work, but I have to plan the rest of the makeup, etc. around it. Dubonnet, on the other hand, I can just swipe on even if I'm not wearing any other makeup and it makes me look pulled together.

It is not a matte - which means of course it won't have the staying power of a matte. But on the other hand, it's much easier to wear and re-apply (no mirror needed!) so for me, it works out better for everyday wear. Also, my lips tend to be dry, so when I'm going to wear a matte I have to really prep them. It leaves a stain on my lips as it wears off, so there's always color on my lips throughout the day.

I've gone through three tubes, and I will keep buying it as long as they make it!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/1/2014 6:53:00 PM More reviews by nataliecrack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

As a hardcore matte lipstick lover, I was disappointed with Dubonnet.

I did some research prior to buying it but I thought it still looked okay and thats why I got it, reasulting in me not liking it enough.

The colour is great. It is a brownish red, suitable for all skin tones.

However, im really not impressed with the staying power. I should have known better because I already have another amplified red shade from MAC and i wasnt impressed either.

It goes on opaque but it you rub your lips together, drunk or smoke, it will become transparent and it transfers a lot.

It is moisturising and has sheen so if you are into these kinds of lipsticks then buy it.

But for me, the queen of the mattes, it's a no-no. I hate how shiny it is but mostly i hate its nonexistent staying power. It will leave a faded stain but that's still not enough for me.

Plus, it feathers so you can't wear it without a lip liner, unlike any matte.

I will use mine and when it's done I don't think i will be buying a second tube. Not for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2014 8:05:00 PM More reviews by lumer00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this! I like that MAC always has a nice selection of shades, even if some of their lipsticks are hit or miss. Really nice, creamy, brick red color. Be warned, less is more, and use a lip brush. I need very little to make this opaque on my lips. Also, it does lean browner on me (undertone of lips changes the color, most lipsticks look a little darker/browner on me), so using a red lipliner underneath helps bring out the red more. I have no problem with this lasting for a few hours, and then leaving a nice stain. It doesn't emphasize or settle into lip lines, the sheen from the amplified finish is responsible for that. I recommend trying before you buy to see how it looks on you.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2014 11:53:00 PM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love red lipstick, and I really wanted to love Dubonnet. I did a lot of research on this lipstick, and it looked like it would be very similar to Viva Glam 1 (which I love). It wasn't, it looked a lot browner than that on me. Since I didn't want a browner version of VG1, I decided not to putchase it. I know a lot of people love it, but it just didn't impress me enough to buy it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2013 1:15:00 PM More reviews by jewelishappy

This is my go-to lippie when it comes to dark red hues. It also compliments my skin tone :) when it comes to partying at night I just swipe this on my lips and I'm ready to party all night!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2013 12:28:00 AM More reviews by mmherman

My palette for makeup is really starting to expand. I would normally never be one for vampy anything, but first vampy nail polish sneak into my life...followed by eyeshadow...and finally lipstick. For some reason I decided I loved that modern 90's dark lip look this year and I just had to embrace it and welcome it into my wardrobe and vanity.

Dubonnet is a really nice dark, warm red. It isn't orangey and it isn't shy. I usually pair this bold lipstick with a very minimal, very neutral eye. I have greenish-blue eyes and combined with this lipstick and a good coat of mascara and a little bit of neutral shimmer my eyes POP! I always get really great compliments from my guy friend at nursing school when I wear this lipstick. So on a side-note be sort of prepared for vulgar comments or thoughts to come from men you know. There is something very sexual to some of them about a dark, bold lipstick. I of course don't mind that added bonus! :)

I really enjoy this lipstick. It is a great color for my fair skin and light eyes. Really makes a statement, but still manages to be sensual and elegant. Doesn't have the greatest wear time, but I'm sure a lip pencil would help prolong the life of this lipstick....either that or don't drink soda every two seconds like me. Definitely leaves a stain behind, but it is pretty. I don't mind touching up and it does not feel gummy like some lipsticks can after reapplication. I am very thankful for the lovely makeup artist that suggested this color. I will be using it a TON this fall and winter season. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 6:17:00 PM More reviews by Kakibot

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Beautiful darker red that will make your teeth look super white. Great finish, too, doesn't dry lips out and feels nice and creamy. Worth the money!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2013 3:48:00 PM More reviews by rach124

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Basically the same as Revlon's Blackberry to me; I'm not sure there's anything about the product that makes it worth paying twice as much. But it's a nice formula (although it comes off easily on drinks, as does the Revlon one) and a great color so if you prefer MAC there's no reason not to buy. I only said no because I'd probably go back to Revlon instead of repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2013 6:28:00 AM More reviews by galsunday

This is the best red lipstick I ever found. Its creamy but I find it matte on application. This is so old Hollywood red. Great to get into the mood for Oscar season.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2013 11:29:00 AM More reviews by SeedyPearl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Let's talk about red lipsticks, or rather, how my OCD brain attempts to understand them. Everyone has probably already heard of "blue reds" "orange reds" "brown reds" etc etc, but I take a slightly different approach, more like:

Red

Red!

RED

....red?

and of course,

"red"

I could write pages and pages going over the various nuances of each, and perhaps I will, someday. But for the sake of reviewing, I'll try to get right to the point. Everyone has their own feelings about red lips and whether they think they can pull them off. Make-up aficionados love to say that everyone can wear red, and technically they're right, but whether you WANT to wear red or not (and to which degree of red) is ultimately up to you. I feel like red lipstick is such a personal opinion, to make a really honest review its best to offer a little bit of insight at What Red Means To You.

I wanted a Red. Maybe bordering slightly on the edge of Red! is alright. I wasn't looking for a RED at the moment because I wanted it to still be just a little subdued and restrained, something for going out at on a weeknight where I could look more dressy and sophisticated rather than "Showgirl". Don't get me wrong, Showgirl RED is beautiful and I love it, but there's a specific time and place for it, I was craving a Red that could be a little more versatile.

Dubonnet is Red. It's richness and slightly deep tone steers it towards Red! especially if layered on, but a light coat still puts it firmly in Red territory. Even used minimally, you're not going to get ...red? It's amplified finish makes it much too intense for that. I wouldn't consider this a "red" either, there is some brown, yes, but all it does is soften the point of REDness. I was concerned that a shade like this might be a "red" on me and go more brown, or,what is more likely to happen in my experience, have it go more "red" on me in the fucshia variety. I'm happy to report such is not the case, and I'm glad to confirm Dubonnet as a great Red.

10 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No