OPI Ridge Filler

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Still forever a novice. So when I wondered why I wasnt getting that "smooth, fresh from the manicurist" look that I crave when I paint my nails, I found out I need ridge filler. I was in the beauty store for something else, but grabbed this too before I would forget. Pretty spendy, but for about $8 it was worth it. Not opaque, but dries to a powdery, opaque finish. It really does give something for nail polishes to grab onto, and well. With certain formulations it may take more than one coat to be honest, but my nails turn out smooth and pretty just like in the magazines. I top it off with my Seche Vite quick dry, and it might as well be bulletproof. Without it, I give it a week before anything chips, and that's fine; using this, my nails lasted up to 2 weeks before chipping. Whuuut? It's also not a royal pain to remove, and it doesn't stain my nails if I use something dark. Again, whuuuut? Anyway, the way I've been on a nailpolish kick, this may run out soon and with that, definite rebuy. I can't do without it!

on 4/14/2015 12:21:00 PM

I think this is a pretty good ridge filler. I don't have have very pronounced ridges, though, and it still takes 3 coats to make everything smooth on a couple of my fingers. For most polishes, I don't need a ridge filler. For pastels that show every flaw and are already prone to streakiness, this product really helps.

on 5/8/2014 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

This is my go to basecoat! Not only does it smooth everything out on your nails, it also prevents staining from rich pigmented/dark polishes and dries opaque so if you are using neons/brights or jelly polishes it aides it making the colors pop without have to pile on multiple coats for the colors to show.

It dries instantly so you can move on to the actual color as you finish each finger. I noticed this makes removing polish a lot easier too, it doesn't make your polish bleed on your skin when removing and acts like a barrier between the nail and color so once the color is gone you don't have to scrub to get your polish off.

This basecoat makes every aspect of the manicure process easy from start to finish!

on 5/5/2014 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Full disclosure: my nails are very thin and bend easily Therefore, they're long but reinforced with tea bags (which I also recommend if you have thin nails and would like to grow them out). Because they're reinforced, they've been filed down, nail glued, filed down again, nailed glued, etc. I can normally get them fairly smooth with buffing but it's not always enough, and buffing down thin nails isn't ideal.

I looked for reviews on Essie, OPI and ORLY. OPI had the highest rating and was the middle priced one (At Ulta, Essie was $8.50, OPI $9 and ORLY $10). This is literally the SMOOTHEST they've ever been. My nail polish looks liquid-y, even and awesome. I even shoved my nails in my boyfriend's face (who couldn't care less) and he said they looked great.

Five lippies! Stoked!

on 12/10/2013 10:28:00 AM

Have been using this for several months now and it really does help my polish go on more smoothly. I love not having to buff my nails to get a smooth application of polish.

Also, I have found that if I bang a nail before my mani has dried, I can put a little of this over the smudge, wait a minute, and polish over top for a nail that (almost) looks like it was never dinged w/o having to re-do the finger entirely.

It's the first specifically ridge filler I've used and I would buy it again.

on 10/10/2013 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This is amazing, not so much for ridge filling, but for extending the longevity of my manicure. I generally only get 2/3 days max from manicures... With this base coat & 2 coats polish & Seche Vite I get a week or more!! My last manicure (Essie Wicked) actually GREW OUT!! No chips at all! Unheard of for me. Love it

on 5/7/2013 2:32:00 PM

Why such a low score with this product!!??

I have been using this product for many years. I love this product, since, as long as I use this, I don't need to buff the surface of my nails.

It dries quickly and I like the frosted finish.

on 4/6/2013 2:02:00 PM

This product by OPI is absolutely awesome and my HG base coat polish. It delivers it's promise of smoothing out my nails and as added bonuses provides longevity to polishes applied over top and helps prevent staining too. Ridge Filler dries quickly and leaves a glossy finish. Love this stuff and have repurchased.

on 3/5/2013 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This does nothing to prevent staining on its own but layered over a thin layer of strengthener/basecoat (I use Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Nylon + Retinol or Sally Hansen Triple Strong to good effect) it makes for a perfectly smooth surface that extends the life of my manicure from peeling, even covering up the nail tip peeling that comes from wearing fingerless gloves in Northeastern winters. The best aspect of it is that, applied lightly, it dries almost instantly and provides a clean semi-opaque base for nail polish--it brightens and strengthens the colour of polish applied over it so that fewer coats are needed and the colour comes out more true to bottle.

on 12/3/2012 2:48:00 PM

it doesnt really make my ridges smoother, and i have mild ones. but it makes the nail polish color more intense, so im giving it a 3. would not recommend or repurchase.
UPDATE: have stopped using it completely because it takes forever for the nail polish on top of it to dry

Top Rated OPI Products