October 24, 2014 | 889 users online

Highlighters - MAC - Iridescent Powder - Belightful

rated 1 of 5 on 8/7/2012 11:52:00 AM More reviews by dns2011

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

If you're looking for a sheen or glow highlight this is not for you. The base is a beautiful champagne color, that could be beautiful on the skin, if wasn't for the chunks of glitter. I'm not talking shimmery, finely milled glitter, it's really gritty glitter, just sitting on the skin. And, no, it's not about using a heavy hand, it's about the way the product was designed. Big waste of money imo. I'm using this as eyeshadow so it's not completely wasted.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2011 10:47:00 PM More reviews by sophiamolina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I saw this at a cosmetic outlet where discountinued and over-produced cosmetics were sold. I had a feeling this fell on the discontinued category so I stocked up with 2 of them. The staying power is great for someone like me who has oily skin. For everyone who complained that it's too glittery- don't you all know how to apply makeup with your brushes with a light hand? Geez! This product suits well if you just want to have an illuminated look in your cheekbones, on the bridge of your nose, and on the top of the forehead. I suggest that you use this product when your mineral makeup (or any foundation you fancy) has a matte finish, having a pearl finish of a foundation and putting this product on would make someone look like a shiny Christmas ball ornament.

Overall, if I ever run out- I would search for a very identical dupe. Not unless MAC revives this product =)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2011 8:15:00 AM More reviews by VintageDisaster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm in LOVE with Belightful! People complain that it's way too glittery, but there's a secret on how to use it... If you want a highlight, you need to swipe the brush onto the skin. If you want more glitter, you dab it on instead.

Works for me! :) I'm so sad they discontinued it! Once I hit pan with mine, I'll definitely swap something for a new one!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/10/2011 4:14:00 AM More reviews by abcang123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Belightful looks SO pretty in the packaging so i thought it would look beautiful sitting on my cheekbones. ....wrong. i got this in the "Girls Next Door" package from MAC and was excited to use it but it is just glitter. i suppose it is good for a dust of glitter over eyeshadow but there are cheaper alternatives. for a eyeshadow in that size, its silly. so as a intended highlighter, it sucks. If you want a highlighter.. just buy grand entrance eye shadow and put it on your cheekbones. like seriously this product stinks (not literally)

the point is...don't buy it.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/7/2011 10:18:00 PM More reviews by finleyka

I was rotating my makeup and I noticed I hadn't touched this product in a long time. I decided to use it as a highlight in the place of my usual highlighter. I thought the product added a nice sheen as I checked my reflection in my apartment, but when I got to work it was a different story--I had large chunks of gold glitter on my face! And I am not one to go overboard or be heavy handed! I wanted to wash all of my makeup off, and when I got home I never felt better about washing my face. I guess this may be a nice finishing touch for someone going out or perhaps someone a bit younger, but this isn't work appropriate for what I do. To be fair I do prefer a more subtle highlight, so it's definitely a preference thing. But no wonder this had gathered dust! I'm passing it off to my younger sister.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2011 2:13:00 AM More reviews by MakennaRuddy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I looove this! I find it highlights my skin beautifuly and adds a nice shine to my face as well! I find it flawless!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/22/2011 1:58:00 PM More reviews by Breanna22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a really pretty highlighter but I have had many better highlighters. I find it to be chunky which I do not like. I like my highlighters to be a sheen not to be chunky with glitter falling off my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2011 12:15:00 PM More reviews by ciarat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

LOVE this product! I've always wanted a gorgeous sheen on my cheekbones like kim kardashian and had tried cream illuminators but they never worked well. Finally I found what I was looking for with this product! It gives a gorgeous sheen to the cheekbone and looks best when applied on the top of the cheekbone just above blusher. Looks fab in pictures too. Definitely a must-have!!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2011 7:54:00 AM More reviews by mementomori

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh dearie. I was looking for a powder product that would give me a sheen and a bit of a tanned colour at the same time. MAC's By Candlelight MSF works like that for me, and it's fine as it is. I wanted something with a little less of a golden-rosey undertone this time.
However. I don't know what went wrong, but swatched with my fingers Belightful was just what I wanted - a light gold-shimmer tan. When I tried to apply it with a brush, though... all glitter, no colour! Glitter, everywhere! Damn Cullens.
To be fair, it is called "Iridescent Powder" indeed, but to this extent? Thanks, but no thanks.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2011 11:33:00 AM More reviews by kristyc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

NB: I'm a Bobbi Brown "Warm Natural" (the closest MAC shade is NC45 but it doesn't complement me as well as Bobbi Brown). As Bobbi Brown didn't seem to have a highlighter that suited me, I walked over to MAC and asked the MUA for something that would highlight my face for day time use, and she recommended Belightful.

She put it on for me and it looked wonderful and pretty in the store's complementary lighting. Since it was in the evening, I couldn't walk out to check it out in the sunlight as I would usually do. The MUA told me I could easily tone it down and blend it for a subtler look. Well, that was not my experience at home.

I tried using the gentlest hand with this highlighter but no matter how much I tapped the brush, blew on it etc there was way more glitter than I would've been comfortable with in an any environment - let alone the office. IMO, Belightful is probably better suited to evenings and/or those who love glitter.

After all the drama below, I've swapped Belightful for MSF's Soft & Gentle - which seems to give a much subtler shade minus the chunky glitter. I just hope it works out because there's no way I want to step foot into that MAC store again!

--- Begin Rant About Poor Customer Service ---

After about 3 tries, I gave up and returned to the 1Utama MAC store in a week and was annoyed to be given an unexpected yarn about how "by right, it is not our store policy to allow swapping once a product has been used" - which I thought was ridiculous as MAC is known for being exchange friendly and plus, I had only tried this abt 3 times in the effort to make it work AND I was swapping for a higher priced product and was going to top up the difference!

I voiced my surprise as the last time I bought SF foundation from a different MAC outlet, they hadn't given me any grief when it hadn't matched my skin tone in sunlight - they were more than willing to take it back and that bottle didn't even have a pump - it was the "pour out" kind compared to this being a sort of compact highlighter!

After conferring with her "colleague", the MUA stated that she was willing to "buy the powder from me with her own money" so that I could get another but I "would have to fill up a form". When the "form" turned out to be the standard product complaints form - I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes. I mean, come on people! This isn't some drugstore brand and I don't pay premium prices to be treated to such story telling.

--- End of Rant ---

UPDATE: I'm definitely happier with Soft & Gentle ... really glad I swapped!