April 21, 2014 | 1520 users online

Fragrances - Caron - Pois de Senteur

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2013 12:38:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Absolutely lovely. I can detect sweet pea; however, it is full of the rich, signature, Caron accord. I am sampling the urn perfume; it has a much depth as vintage Tabac Blond. Stunning! As Surrender to Chance writes, "Rich, honeyed, dark and powdery, this is a scent unlike any other." 100 percent true.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2009 2:55:00 AM More reviews by DCKathy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is the next perfume I want to buy, but I am going to use my other perfumes in the meantime. A great, classic vintage floral smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2008 7:45:00 PM More reviews by Tabby2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't have the impressive knowledge of scent structure as do so many MUAers, but I must say that I love how this one develops. For the first few minutes, I can really detect the floral notes, a sort of candied floral I suppose (from what I have read, the sweet pea note in this is a synthetic version, not an extract). After that and for at least a good half hour, the scent becomes sort of, I hate to say it, "old-lady-ish." But, if you can hold on for a bit longer, the old-lady aspects of the scent melt away and you are left with a warm, powdery floral that clings to your skin almost indefinitely. I sprayed a small amount of the pure parfum on both wrists at around 7:30am, went about my day, and as I was preparing for bed I caught a whiff of the scent on my wrist, and it was just as discernible and as lovely as it had been hours earlier. Exquisite.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2007 9:45:00 PM More reviews by MizLiz211

The name, Sweet Peas, might lead one to believe that Pois de Senteur is a light, sweet little floral, summoning up images of sun-drenched meadows. Not so! Think of a plush Victorian parlor, all upholstered in deep purple velvet. Where are the eponymous flowers? In a crystal vase on the piano, arranged with roses and hyacinth. Golden sunlight pours in and relieves the heavy decorating scheme somewhat. But what does the perfume actually smell like? Deep, dark, sweet powder. But what powder! To wear Pois de Senteur is to clothe oneself in a velvet gown. If you prefer crisp sundresses, look elsewhere. But if you could pull off velvet, give it a try!

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2007 8:42:00 AM More reviews by LipstickLil

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pois de Senteur is a beautiful, deep, powdery Caron. I don't find it in the least spring-like, or even particularly sweet - it's a "grown-up" powder! I can't smell any sweetpea at all - the only floral note I can detect is rose, and this is darkened considerably by a hay note, which is quite strong on me. I think I can also smell some cedar and vanilla in the dry-down, when this scent does become a little sweeter and honied. Pois de Senteur is a beautiful scent, worth 4.5 lippies - it only falls short of perfection for me because it stays slightly too dark for too long!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2006 3:26:00 PM More reviews by rnornan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Yawn. IS this a bpal fragrance or a caron? I can't tell. Yes, now that I know, I can smell that Caron accord, but this mostly smells like powder. I wish I could smell flowers, sweet pea, anything! I've far outgrown this as an ingredient in perfume--why pay all this to smell like J&J?

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2006 10:22:00 PM More reviews by cacvsp

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

What Suzie Queue said!! I bought some Caron decants and the seller threw in a sample vial of this. Another lovely changling,another one to hunt for in vain and you know that nothing out there smells like it , nothing, and all
other perfumes pale in comparison to those Carons created by Daltroff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2006 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Suzy_Queue

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Sweet pea? This is not like any sweet pea I've ever smelled--and more importantly, not like any sweet pea fragrance product I've tried. Or really--and most importantly of all--this is not like any fragrance I have ever smelled ANYWHERE, of any kind, period. Please forgive me for my awkward phrases. They are shabby and clumsy, for it is very hard for one to choose apt words and to construct clear sentences when one is high. Intoxicated. By this perfume. What do you say when you have just have your mind blown? "Five Lippies and Yes I Promise I Will Buy This Product Again?" In the simplest terms, this fragrance is a very powdery floral. Quite unexpectly, it has become one of my very very favorite perfumes of all time. I say unexpectedly because I am not a big fan of sweet pea, nor am I devotee of powder scents-- and most of all because I've already explored the Caron haystack extensively and systematically, found plenty of needles, and just didn't think there could BE any more in those last remaining wisps of hay. But there it was. A BiG needle: My Pois De Senteur. And unlike most of my Big Favorites (speaking generally, not just of Caron), I loved it instantly. For it is just so perfect. Like most Caron extraits, a small drop planted on each wrist quickly grows into a lovely, living-and-breathing fragrance that blooms on the skin. The dominating characteristic of Pois de Senteur is its powdery nature which is quite sweet, but a balanced sweetness such as from sweet flowers (instead of a cloying sugar-sweetness). It is a lovely, powdery bouquet. Some of the various flower notes stand out at times, as if you had put your nose up to sniff one flower out of the bunch. After several hours of wear, the fragrance begins to break down and that prevailing powderiness finally fades, the rose becomes very clear and beautiful, singing quietly with the rest of the flowers. Lily of the Valley. Sweet Pea. Hyacinth? (or something like it) Glorious. In closing: I feel that my words fail. It is hard to explain what makes this perfume different from everything else--it just IS. Pois de Senteur is a very feminine scent that has been very much overlooked! Of course, some will think it too powdery, but I predict that many of you who try it will realize that it is a real treasure.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2006 3:12:00 PM More reviews by freegracer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Daltroff's sweet pea is an intoxicated, indolent flower languishing in a tub of warm bubbly. It's warm and musky with a dark golden undercurrent----smells like warm champagne to me. If you had stuck an unlabeled bottle of this under my nose and asked me to identify it, I'd never in a million years have guessed sweet peas. Never. This is not like any sweet peas I've never grown. Daltroff's original name for this perfume was the quirky appellation "Le Pois de Senteur de Chez Moi." Those must have been some heavy duty convivial sweet peas at his house!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2005 12:35:00 AM More reviews by Videofit

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This has a sweet, ambery quality that seems to be common amongst scents created in the early part of the 20th century by European fragrance houses, notably Caron and Patou. It is powdery and slightly spicy. Reminds me of baby powder or Chanel No. 5.