November 29, 2014 | 1180 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary Hair dye

rated 1 of 5 on 8/20/2014 12:30:00 PM More reviews by kaitlyn1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My review is for the Manic Panic Vampire Red. Now I want to preface my situation with an understanding of the state my hair was in, HOWEVER, I don't believe it has any bearing on my results.
anyhoo, I have recently decided to henna and have done so with much success. My once fried, damaged shoulder length hair in varying shades of ugly, is now a beautiful red. Unfortunately, I order my henna through Amazon and esp over the weekends it takes a while for it to arrive. I noticed that due to excessive heat styling, my henna was becoming dull and not as red (there have been reports of others experiencing darkening of their henna with heat tools eek) so I thought to myself, how can I brighten this up a bit until my next henna application?

I considered color depositing shamps but never had much luck and I considered Demi color but cannot use any sort of peroxide on my hair because it will soak color& turn it uuber dark. Or at least that's my fear from previous ordeals.

so, I was at sallys and had read here&there about other henna heads using MP and plus I figured semi perm= wash out if I don't like it?

first off, 10$ at sallys for that tiny jar. Even with a sallys card! Secondly, I am no stranger to messes caused by my hair endeavors and I stocked up on gloves, caps, etc. If u know anything about henna, u know ita notorious for being a big mud mess but even that I have now mastered.

I applied the dark red MP to my hair, sectioning off and using a tint brush. After I finished, I was going to leave it on for hours. Seriously to enhance the color. But thank God I got curious 10 mins in and waltzed to the bathroom to check on it.

15mins from the time I applied until I frantically was scrubbing it out, my hair had turned dark dark blackish red. And the red had a pink hue. PINK. a horror for a redhead looking for a natural red (I.e. Usually oranges based!) I was petrified. I let it sit for a day but the color was too dark for my fair skin and so I used my HG Ion clarifying shampoo and it DIDNT BUDGE. it washed down the tub but hadn't faded.

I used:
Clarifying Shampoo
Dawn dish soap
Tide Laundry detergant
Apple Cider Vinegar
Lemon juice + h2o
my own tears

and nothing. I ended up having to do a bleach cap (bleach + 20 vol developer + shampoo) two times to fade the color light enough so I could henna over it.

what a nightmare. And now after all the efforts I put towards keeping chemicals off my head, I had moderate bleach damage and money wasted on protein treatments (@Sallys, Aphogee brand).

luckily, I hennaed over my hot pink hair and its now gorgeous red again and I'm babying my ends, staying away from heat products too.
but I can't believe what a mess it was.

moral of the story, this does NOT wash out. It maybe fades but is not worth it. Esp if u are veering away from harsh chemicals because they will be your only option should u end up like me -_-

rated 3 of 5 on 8/14/2014 10:58:00 AM More reviews by Juliazelda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

About the brand in general
Pros:
* Vegan! ^_^ <3 (This fact alone accounts for like 3 pros in my mind)
* Non-damaging, you can keep it on for however long you want
* You have great control of dye intensity as you can mix it with conditioner, texture is nice and creamy too
* The color I used didn't stain a lot, but to my understanding this varies depending on shade
Cons:
* Smells weird in comparison to other vegan dyes that don't smell at all, this confused me?
* Depending on how long you have it in the coverage varies greatly
* The resulting color varies greatly depending on your base color
* Fades unevenly, sometimes very fast, sometimes too slowly, sometimes to a weird color depending on the color you used
* Is a bit messy to put on and it's hard to determine how much you'll need
* The packaging is a bit inconvenient and you have to dig around with your fingers a lot

Personally, I used the color Wildfire over a bleached blonde-dyed-medium blonde-faded-to-light blonde-with-light brown-roots. I did an ombré-esque thing where I put most of the dye on the roots/top of my head and then let it fade down to where I left the tips of my hair undyed. The result was a lot more orange than I expected. Really not red at all but a deep pinky orange. I did feel a bit too Ronald McDonald for my liking with it on, and the normal blond looked almost green in comparison with the bright orange, which failed my ombre a bit. It did cover my roots decently though, made them look pretty auburn which was nice. However, the fading color on my blonde was GORGEOUS, a pink copper color kinda like rose gold. A color that I would love to have on my entire head. Sadly, only bits of my hair faded this color before I felt the need to redye my head brown due to work. I believe the fading color varies greatly depending on the base color, but if you are a neutral, light-enough blonde you're in for a treat when this fades if you're a fan of pink hair (Think Lightning in the first FFXIII game).
I'll update this review if I try another color from their brand out, but three lippies is enough for me currently due to how difficult it was to anticipate the result.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2014 1:06:00 PM More reviews by SmaugtheMagnificent

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

i used manic panics hair dye a couple times. i didnt have to bleach my hair in order to use it (which was a major plus!) i did red first, my hair turned out more like a auburn color since my hair was brown, i liked it and it was my first time dyeing my hair so i was impressed. i tried blue next, and was disappointed in that one. my hair turned black and no matter how many times i washed my hair, the dye would still fade off my hair and onto things like my pillow or even my wall when i leaned my head against it. so wouldnt reccommend the blue, but then again my hair was brown so it would probably work a lot better on bleached or any light hair! the next one i did was green, i was pretty impressed. my hair was a pretty green, sorta like different shades of green on different strands of my hair. it lasted about a week. i did green a couple more times since there was still a lot of product left in the small container. the last one i did was their hot hot pink. i was incredibly impressed with this one, my hair was super bright pink and gorgeous. but it faded within like four days, but i think being out in the sun everyday all day sorta helped fade it out. i was in arizona and the sun is incredibly hot there! but overall, i was impressed with their stuff and depending on how much you put in, you'll most likely have more left in the little small cute container to use next time.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2014 8:36:00 PM More reviews by upinspace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

3 lippies for the overall inconsistency of the dye. It really depends on which dye you choose so I'll individually do a quick review of all I've tried.

UPDATE 8/20:
Raven: 5/5
I was worried at first because I got two tubs. (1 for head, 1 for extensions) I got two different formulas! One was the old greeny tinge formula, the other was the new purpley tinge. I was worried so I mixed them together. I got a beautiful dark dark black that easily covered purple 100% evenly. Especially my extensions, there was no patchiness. Doesn't fade too easily. Love this one.

Original reviews:
Hot Hot Pink: 5/5
A lovely hot pink color! It covers your hair evenly and shows up easily. You don't need the whitest of hair for this to be vibrant and it doesn't start to fade for about 5 washes.

Ultraviolet: 5/5
A blueish purple color, though it leans more blue. Covers nicely and dyes easily. Stays in decently.

Voodoo Blue: 4/5
A greenish teal that I love so very much. Its a bit harder for it to look vibrant, so your hair has to be pretty light. It lasts ehhh.

Midnight Blue: 4/5
A dark blue, but its never come out very dark on my hair. It comes out aqua for whatever reason, but I still like it. It lasts in the hair about middle range.

Red passion: 1.5/5
I bought this specifically online and was so disappointed. Its an orangeish pinkish red. It dyes quickly but is NOT pigmented! It was weird! I had to dye twice. It also faded out a lot after 2 washes.

Purple haze: 1.5/5
Uh, ew. Very poorly pigmented and doesnt last. My main issue for it is the swatch was a pretty purple color, but on my lightened white hair it came out dull brown purple??? Very weird.

Remember, for the full effect of these dyes you have to prelighten your hair. On darker colors, it gives a highlighted effect and does not last as long. They are easy to get out of you hair.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/28/2014 5:11:00 PM More reviews by tstymctst

I used to love Manic Panic dyes. After Midnight Blue was my favorite when I was in college ~10 years ago, and I went back to it when I started dying my hair again last year. Huge mistake. Their vegan reformulation refuses to stay in my hair, fading within three or four days no matter how long I leave it in, even if I don't wash my hair after the first rinse. And no matter how well I rinse, I have to sleep with a towel over my pillow for a week to keep the color from staining my pillowcases.

I even tried a couple of other colors in the range (Rockabilly Blue and Purple Haze) to make sure it wasn't just the After Midnight Blue that was the problem. Both of them faded super quickly, too, not to mention that those two turned flat-out HOT PINK when they faded! It looked good, but it was not the color I had bought.

I've used a lot of different dye brands over the years and have never had these problems with anything else, only vegan formula Manic Panic. I will not be buying from their brand again. I've switched to 'N Rage and Beyond The Zone.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2014 3:28:00 PM More reviews by kayliexx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Quite expensive and washes out way too quickly, especially ultraviolet and atomic turquoise. I had decent luck with hot hot pink. I much prefer la riche directions semi permanent hair colour. Lasts longer, is cheaper and has the same jar-type packaging that makes it easy to reuse.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/1/2014 5:27:00 AM More reviews by taylortruck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've used manic panic a few times in my life, and each time it just didn't meet my expectations. I wanted long lasting color, and manic panic sadly never delivered. Recently, I decided to dye my hair turquoise. I picked up a few bottles of the atomic turquoise color in their voltage formula, hoping that maybe this time I would finally get good results. not really. Don't get me wrong, the color was beautiful, but only until I washed it. I had bleached my hair white, and then left the dye on it overnight, covered. I even did a cold rinse followed by some vinegar. Everything they recommend you to do for "long lasting" color. My hair had faded to a murky greyish blue within 4 days. I didn't even use shampoo. To me, that's just ridiculous. But, I figured I would try it again. I dyed my hair again, followed the same steps, and even began to add my remaining dye to my hair while I was in the shower each day. It still faded horribly within a week. The one good thing I will say about manic panic, though, is that it really conditioned my hair after all the bleaching I did to it. I naturally have black brown hair, but have been bleaching it white for the past 4 years, so I had a lot of damage. This really made it feel like it was kinda alive again, though. After I finally gave up on manic panic, I did have quite better results with Raw hair dye. The manic panic smells a lot better than Raw, though. Doesn't stain as much, either.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 4:04:00 PM More reviews by maybellecowbell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I've been dying my hair every colour under the sun for the past 15 years & manic panic is THE BEST there is. Loads of shades, or mix the together to make your won. Can use with a load of conditioner for a pastel shades. Lasts for ages, vibrant, easy to apply (with a tint brush). Will always loo better on bleached hair as the colours are truer but pinks, reds & purples can work on harder hair but won't be as bright.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2014 12:04:00 PM More reviews by eyelinerismywarpaint

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my favourite hair dye ever, flat-out.
Manic Panic is a vegan and cruelty-free brand, which already puts them pretty high on my list. I've dyed my hair twice so far with Manic Panic original temporary hair dye, the first time being a year and a half ago with After Midnight Blue and the second being a couple weeks ago with Voodoo Blue.
My hair is naturally very dark brown, I have never bleached it, and the darker colours seem to look black indoors and in the dark, but out in sunlight or in bright lights the true colour shows.
Voodoo Blue is my favourite out of the two I've tried. It's a brighter blue, and on my brown hair it shows up amazingly. Both indoors and outdoors you can see that it's obviously blue. I would even call it bright--which you wouldn't expect on naturally dark, un-bleached hair.
After Midnight Blue faded out to a dark green, and Voodoo Blue is currently fading out somewhat teal, but mostly a very pretty green colour.
My hair is down to the middle of my back, it's thick, and I have bangs; and I can easily do an entire head of colour with half a jar. It looks like you'll need more than you actually will because the jars are so small, but the dye is strong and spreads out a lot. I bought two jars and can get four uses out of them.
The dye lasts in my hair for a long time, about a month to a month and a half.
The price is reasonable enough seeing as how much dye I actually need. I buy my dye at Sally's Beauty Supply.
I highly recommend this--however, it's quite obvious that this dye works very differently for different people.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/3/2013 11:18:00 PM More reviews by jolak

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

it sux!!! dont buy it!!!