Manic Panic Temporary Hair dye

3.4

on 7/9/2015 9:18:00 PM

I made the mistake of using this on brown hair I am not very happy with it.. I used the shade Infra Red. My results were not worth the hugeee drippy mess it made in my bathroom and all the towels and pillows it stained for weeks afterword.. And the thing is although it is constantly staining everything I have the feeling it will be hard to get out of my hair completley ): lol. So yeah.. Use on bleached white hair only !

on 4/30/2015 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Edited to add: one thing i forgot to mention about the way it stains the first 2 weeks or so... my husband showed me his arm once, it had a pinkish stain from where my head had been resting at night. How gross is that!?!?!?
I have the fuchsia shock colour. Generally it doesn't take much use for it to stick. I use it on previously bleached/diy-highlights/ombre'd hair. It sticks for ages. i prefer the slightly faded colour (burgundy'd pink) to the initial shocking dark pink it becomes.
Last I used it was on April 7th, it has been about 3 weeks and my hair is still vibrantly fuchsia/dark pinkish red. This was after a couple of months of use. I do notice a bit of my previous highlights peeking through at the sides, in a couple of places; it is definitely fading a bit after so long but it is still vibrant through 95% (scientific estimate) of my hair. It does leave the hair 'moisturized' which could translate to greasy-looking, especially on short hair.
I HATE that for about 2 weeks it leaves stains, when u wash your hair the water is running with the colour, etc. If you leave it in long enough, say overnight, generally it takes ages to actually need touchups.

on 1/5/2015 11:46:00 PM

I really wanted to like this. But here's my experience. I have naturally brown hair (which was ombre at the time) that I had dyed a cherry red. I absolutely love it but as any unnatural red head knows, it doesn't last. I had tried a couple of depositing conditioners which didn't quite do the trick. I tried the roux hair mask first, I mixed fire red with burgundy and the result was nice. Product was easy to apply. But the burgundy was hard to find and the color faded to a more purpley shade. So I decided to try the manic panic. The packaging was horrific, I had to cut into the seal with a nail file. When I finally got the color into the bowl and applied it to my hair, there was more on my skin and my bathroom than my hair. After 15 minutes I got nervous and decided to wash. The color the came out was fantastic so I thought maybe I should stick out the mess to get the good result. The bottom of my shower was stained horribly, I've never had color leak that bad. It stained me and my shower so bad, I will never use it again. I wish I could push through the cons here but I can't. I don't want to know what would happen at the beach :/

on 12/23/2014 1:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

using the cotton candy pink product of Manic Panic on freshly bleached hair, and leaving it in for 30-60 minutes, longer than the required time, all i have to say is that this "best brand' is a fucking piece of shit!!! Instead of my hair looking like some cotton candy I have hair the colour of salmon, a colour I would be happy with if i had had it dyed for a couple of weeks, not fucking straight away. It is extremely patchy, only the back part some what resembling the desired colour of the dye. for the price of two and a half times of most dyes I have seen or use, such as Brite Organix and Stargazer, it's a real shock and it's a fucking disappointment, especially 2 days before fucking Xmas. People of the internet; HEED MY WARNINGGGGGGG. THIS PRODUCT IS A SHAM AND A GOD DAMN SHIT DICK!!!!! Invest in a cheaper option that will work, will last long and at the end of the day give you the results you were hoping to achieve. Manic Panic, kindly jump off the Westgate.

Regards, Shitdick25

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

The colors promised so much. They delivered so little. If the bleaching didn't leave you ultra-fried, the heavy metals in this hair color will! Temporary to the max, two days. Wash with cold water and still bleed like a stuck pig. You better love the color you picked, because your pillow, head rest in the car, towels, sofa and clothing will be the same as your hair. The jar sucks, its dye, not peanut butter. Go with Ionic and save yourself.

on 8/14/2014 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

About the brand in general
Pros:
* Vegan! ^_^ <3 (This fact alone accounts for like 3 pros in my mind)
* Non-damaging, you can keep it on for however long you want
* You have great control of dye intensity as you can mix it with conditioner, texture is nice and creamy too
* The color I used didn't stain a lot, but to my understanding this varies depending on shade
Cons:
* Smells weird in comparison to other vegan dyes that don't smell at all, this confused me?
* Depending on how long you have it in the coverage varies greatly
* The resulting color varies greatly depending on your base color
* Fades unevenly, sometimes very fast, sometimes too slowly, sometimes to a weird color depending on the color you used
* Is a bit messy to put on and it's hard to determine how much you'll need
* The packaging is a bit inconvenient and you have to dig around with your fingers a lot

Personally, I used the color Wildfire over a bleached blonde-dyed-medium blonde-faded-to-light blonde-with-light brown-roots. I did an ombré-esque thing where I put most of the dye on the roots/top of my head and then let it fade down to where I left the tips of my hair undyed. The result was a lot more orange than I expected. Really not red at all but a deep pinky orange. I did feel a bit too Ronald McDonald for my liking with it on, and the normal blond looked almost green in comparison with the bright orange, which failed my ombre a bit. It did cover my roots decently though, made them look pretty auburn which was nice. However, the fading color on my blonde was GORGEOUS, a pink copper color kinda like rose gold. A color that I would love to have on my entire head. Sadly, only bits of my hair faded this color before I felt the need to redye my head brown due to work. I believe the fading color varies greatly depending on the base color, but if you are a neutral, light-enough blonde you're in for a treat when this fades if you're a fan of pink hair (Think Lightning in the first FFXIII game).
I'll update this review if I try another color from their brand out, but three lippies is enough for me currently due to how difficult it was to anticipate the result.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

i used manic panics hair dye a couple times. i didnt have to bleach my hair in order to use it (which was a major plus!) i did red first, my hair turned out more like a auburn color since my hair was brown, i liked it and it was my first time dyeing my hair so i was impressed. i tried blue next, and was disappointed in that one. my hair turned black and no matter how many times i washed my hair, the dye would still fade off my hair and onto things like my pillow or even my wall when i leaned my head against it. so wouldnt reccommend the blue, but then again my hair was brown so it would probably work a lot better on bleached or any light hair! the next one i did was green, i was pretty impressed. my hair was a pretty green, sorta like different shades of green on different strands of my hair. it lasted about a week. i did green a couple more times since there was still a lot of product left in the small container. the last one i did was their hot hot pink. i was incredibly impressed with this one, my hair was super bright pink and gorgeous. but it faded within like four days, but i think being out in the sun everyday all day sorta helped fade it out. i was in arizona and the sun is incredibly hot there! but overall, i was impressed with their stuff and depending on how much you put in, you'll most likely have more left in the little small cute container to use next time.

on 7/12/2014 8:36:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

3 lippies for the overall inconsistency of the dye. It really depends on which dye you choose so I'll individually do a quick review of all I've tried.

UPDATE 8/20:
Raven: 5/5
I was worried at first because I got two tubs. (1 for head, 1 for extensions) I got two different formulas! One was the old greeny tinge formula, the other was the new purpley tinge. I was worried so I mixed them together. I got a beautiful dark dark black that easily covered purple 100% evenly. Especially my extensions, there was no patchiness. Doesn't fade too easily. Love this one.

Original reviews:
Hot Hot Pink: 5/5
A lovely hot pink color! It covers your hair evenly and shows up easily. You don't need the whitest of hair for this to be vibrant and it doesn't start to fade for about 5 washes.

Ultraviolet: 5/5
A blueish purple color, though it leans more blue. Covers nicely and dyes easily. Stays in decently.

Voodoo Blue: 4/5
A greenish teal that I love so very much. Its a bit harder for it to look vibrant, so your hair has to be pretty light. It lasts ehhh.

Midnight Blue: 4/5
A dark blue, but its never come out very dark on my hair. It comes out aqua for whatever reason, but I still like it. It lasts in the hair about middle range.

Red passion: 1.5/5
I bought this specifically online and was so disappointed. Its an orangeish pinkish red. It dyes quickly but is NOT pigmented! It was weird! I had to dye twice. It also faded out a lot after 2 washes.

Purple haze: 1.5/5
Uh, ew. Very poorly pigmented and doesnt last. My main issue for it is the swatch was a pretty purple color, but on my lightened white hair it came out dull brown purple??? Very weird.

Remember, for the full effect of these dyes you have to prelighten your hair. On darker colors, it gives a highlighted effect and does not last as long. They are easy to get out of you hair.

on 4/28/2014 5:11:00 PM

I used to love Manic Panic dyes. After Midnight Blue was my favorite when I was in college ~10 years ago, and I went back to it when I started dying my hair again last year. Huge mistake. Their vegan reformulation refuses to stay in my hair, fading within three or four days no matter how long I leave it in, even if I don't wash my hair after the first rinse. And no matter how well I rinse, I have to sleep with a towel over my pillow for a week to keep the color from staining my pillowcases.

I even tried a couple of other colors in the range (Rockabilly Blue and Purple Haze) to make sure it wasn't just the After Midnight Blue that was the problem. Both of them faded super quickly, too, not to mention that those two turned flat-out HOT PINK when they faded! It looked good, but it was not the color I had bought.

I've used a lot of different dye brands over the years and have never had these problems with anything else, only vegan formula Manic Panic. I will not be buying from their brand again. I've switched to 'N Rage and Beyond The Zone.

on 2/12/2014 3:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Quite expensive and washes out way too quickly, especially ultraviolet and atomic turquoise. I had decent luck with hot hot pink. I much prefer la riche directions semi permanent hair colour. Lasts longer, is cheaper and has the same jar-type packaging that makes it easy to reuse.