February 28, 2015 | 1956 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 224 Tapered Blending Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2015 7:33:00 AM More reviews by mac63

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have 15 mac brushes. It is a must have mac brush. I love the 224 for blending, best blending brush ever and for applying concealer, perfect. I do love love this brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2015 6:50:00 PM More reviews by jadephoenix1988

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

cool stuff :)))))

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2015 3:39:00 PM More reviews by ShiverWithAntici

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

As an avid MAC user, who has respect for the brand and owns a few of their other brushes, I'll say without hesitation that this is the worst makeup brush I have ever used (high end or drugstore). I just don't understand the cult following this seems to have. I love the 217 and use that nearly every time I do my makeup. I understand the need for a larger, less firm brush to more softly dispense eyeshadow or to blend, so I thought this was THE one to buy. Well, this may be the only makeup brush to ever make me angry. If I hadn't ordered it directly from the MAC website, I would think I had gotten a fake. I'm sorry, it just doesn't apply color well, it's not dense enough to be useful at blending anything, and, the scratchiness...oh, the scratchiness, and the sound it makes when you use it is like rubbing straw together. And just in case that isn't enough for you, the bristles break off in little pieces EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I would love to see anyone use the brush that I have and tell me it's good. I'm open to the possibility of having received a dud, but based on a few of the reviews (I'm surprised at how few), I'm not alone in my experience. All I can say is there are much, MUCH better brushes out there. Try before you buy.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2014 6:45:00 AM More reviews by blaire27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One of the only Mac brushes I have that I don't use everyday. While it doesn't shed, the hairs started snapping around year 2. It doesn't matter how much I condition. I reach for my white handled Sonia kashuk more or my sigma e35. Did I mention it's scratchy?

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2014 11:31:00 AM More reviews by mimipoj2811

I bought this with the 217 and 219. I found that I was using the 217 much more for blending and for additional blending I was using a Smashbox blending brush. My friend told me she uses the 224 for applying and blending concealer and I had heard a few other people saying the same on blogs etc so I tried it. That's exactly what I use it for now . It applies concealer flawlessly everywhere where it may be needed especially under eyes. I highly recommend for concealer application

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by rayapotter

I feel I am very alone in this review. I border on hating this brush but I waited too long to return it & now am 'stuck' w/ it. it was expensive I feel guilty for not using it. I absolutely gravitate toward a random artist brush I bought from Michael's for my crease over this one. Another reviewer nailed it. it does not deposit the color where you want it, it's a train wreck, like, all over the place. I think one of the issues is a result of my eye shape. I don't have huge eyes, medium sized and they are also deep set. I think those 2 variables make for a non romance with this brush. the other brush I got for $5 at Michael's it's more domed at the end, (rather than overly pointy which is the 224's problem as well) not so scratchy & definitely smoother, targets the area I want shaded. I'm thinking maybe I could trade??? or barter this brush if anyone has a site recommendation. But, sometimes, in life, this is how we learn the hard lessons, just because everyone else is raving about it does not necessarily mean it will work well for your particular eye shape

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2014 2:08:00 AM More reviews by Kiruby82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a few blending brushes from different brands, mostly inexpensive brands or brushes with synthetic bristles. I decided that I wanted to try the famous 224 by MAC, since I have the blending brush that is very similar by Sigma (which performs very well).
First of all, the price is a bit steep but I didn't care as long as it performs well.
It blends really nicely and effortlessly, however, I was expecting it to be a liiiittle bit more dense. Anyway, I returned it the day after. Why? It was VERY scratchy. While I was using it on my eye, I couldn't wait for the blending process to be achieved because the scratching was annoying me and I have very sensitive eyes and eyelids. For a 30+ dollars eye brush I expected it to be soft and pleasant. It performs well but the scratching was awful, worse than ANY of all the brushes that I own. I guess I will have to repurchase from Sigma or to try something new, maybe from Bdellium or Zoeva.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2014 6:38:00 PM More reviews by SuzanneDee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is more magic wand than brush, I'm tellin ya. I know why the Mac 217 gets so much love for eyeshadow work, but for girls like me with dark undereye (and over-eye and beside-eye) circles, this 224 brush is the difference between merely well blended colour and Holy Pigmentation Cover-up, Batman!
I use it with corrector and concealer, both cream formulas in a pot, and the round, domed bristles make targeted application and blending possible for me, who's all thumbs usually. I also use it for setting the concealer with powder, So it covers three basic tasks for me every morning. Plus, I reach for it often to blend shadow and deposit brow highlighter, making it my most used brush by a mile.
I wish it didn't flake so much. I asked the Mac staff what to do about it and she went all smug and said I should just 'take care of it, wash it regularly and it will last me a lifetime' as if I wasn't doing it already. Honestly, the staff is flakier than the brush!
I've gone through four brushes in 5 years, which I am not to happy about considering every new replacement is magically 10% higher in price than its predecessor. But I will keep buying them since they work so hard before they die on me. I've just ordered a dupe from Zoeva, which was 30% the price of the Mac. Let's see how that goes.

EDIT: The ZOEA 228 brush is nearly identical and nearly a quarter of the price. Its hairs are more densely packed so you might want to wash and dry it before use so you have fluffier bristles to work with. I don't think I'm going back to Mac.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 12:57:00 PM More reviews by eileenadare

This eye shadow brush is just one of many great makeup brushes by MAC. I use it for applying my base eye shadow, all over blending, and to blend in powder over any zits I need to cover with concealer. I've had this brush for 2+ years & it still looks & feels new! It doesn't shed at all. This brush is an essential for anybody that loves makeup & appreciates tools that apply it correctly.
All MAC brushes last forever, so you really can't go wrong with this brand as long as you clean & take good care of them. They are typically more expensive than the makeup itself, but once you use MAC brushes you'll understand why.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2014 1:20:00 PM More reviews by gpsbabyyy

i originally bought this brush to do my concealer. when i went to mac, the m/a blended my concealer with this brush & it came out flawless!! so i bought it. i bought it to use to blend my concealer and blend out my crease....2 in 1. yeaaah right. when i went home and tried it for m concealer the next morning it shed like crazy!!! but when i used it in my crease it didn't shed at all and my eyeshadow looked amazing. that's all i use it for tho...i was dissapointed about how it shed when i blended out my concealer but its amazing for the crease!!!