November 21, 2014 | 1691 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 224 Tapered Blending Brush

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2014 2:08:00 AM More reviews by Kiruby82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a few blending brushes from different brands, mostly inexpensive brands or brushes with synthetic bristles. I decided that I wanted to try the famous 224 by MAC, since I have the blending brush that is very similar by Sigma (which performs very well).
First of all, the price is a bit steep but I didn't care as long as it performs well.
It blends really nicely and effortlessly, however, I was expecting it to be a liiiittle bit more dense. Anyway, I returned it the day after. Why? It was VERY scratchy. While I was using it on my eye, I couldn't wait for the blending process to be achieved because the scratching was annoying me and I have very sensitive eyes and eyelids. For a 30+ dollars eye brush I expected it to be soft and pleasant. It performs well but the scratching was awful, worse than ANY of all the brushes that I own. I guess I will have to repurchase from Sigma or to try something new, maybe from Bdellium or Zoeva.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2014 6:38:00 PM More reviews by SuzanneDee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is more magic wand than brush, I'm tellin ya. I know why the Mac 217 gets so much love for eyeshadow work, but for girls like me with dark undereye (and over-eye and beside-eye) circles, this 224 brush is the difference between merely well blended colour and Holy Pigmentation Cover-up, Batman!
I use it with corrector and concealer, both cream formulas in a pot, and the round, domed bristles make targeted application and blending possible for me, who's all thumbs usually. I also use it for setting the concealer with powder, So it covers three basic tasks for me every morning. Plus, I reach for it often to blend shadow and deposit brow highlighter, making it my most used brush by a mile.
I wish it didn't flake so much. I asked the Mac staff what to do about it and she went all smug and said I should just 'take care of it, wash it regularly and it will last me a lifetime' as if I wasn't doing it already. Honestly, the staff is flakier than the brush!
I've gone through four brushes in 5 years, which I am not to happy about considering every new replacement is magically 10% higher in price than its predecessor. But I will keep buying them since they work so hard before they die on me. I've just ordered a dupe from Zoeva, which was 30% the price of the Mac. Let's see how that goes.

EDIT: The ZOEA 228 brush is nearly identical and nearly a quarter of the price. Its hairs are more densely packed so you might want to wash and dry it before use so you have fluffier bristles to work with. I don't think I'm going back to Mac.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 12:57:00 PM More reviews by eileenadare

This eye shadow brush is just one of many great makeup brushes by MAC. I use it for applying my base eye shadow, all over blending, and to blend in powder over any zits I need to cover with concealer. I've had this brush for 2+ years & it still looks & feels new! It doesn't shed at all. This brush is an essential for anybody that loves makeup & appreciates tools that apply it correctly.
All MAC brushes last forever, so you really can't go wrong with this brand as long as you clean & take good care of them. They are typically more expensive than the makeup itself, but once you use MAC brushes you'll understand why.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2014 1:20:00 PM More reviews by gpsbabyyy

i originally bought this brush to do my concealer. when i went to mac, the m/a blended my concealer with this brush & it came out flawless!! so i bought it. i bought it to use to blend my concealer and blend out my crease....2 in 1. yeaaah right. when i went home and tried it for m concealer the next morning it shed like crazy!!! but when i used it in my crease it didn't shed at all and my eyeshadow looked amazing. that's all i use it for tho...i was dissapointed about how it shed when i blended out my concealer but its amazing for the crease!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/5/2014 4:26:00 PM More reviews by yaya49

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really disliked this brush, I went for this because of all the great reviews and I needed another blending brush. I should've just bought a second mac217 because this one is not good. It's all over the place and takes forever for me too achieve the color I want with this and to blend it out. Maybe if it was a little stiffer it would work better. I've had this for like 3 months and used it 2-3 times. I really regret not returning it :( around 35 dollars for a mediocre brush is such a waste of money.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/21/2014 7:56:00 AM More reviews by sxyleolady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Didn't really care for this brush. I found it to be a bit too floppy for my taste. I needed a brush that is more directional and I didn't find that in this one. Applying color with it was a no-go. It would always apply my eyeshadows in unwanted areas. Blending with it was a scratchy experience. I'm truly not a fan. I've even tried it for concealer blending and would much rather prefer using synthetic bristles for that job.

I returned it and instead bought the Hakuhodo J5522 brush which I love. When it comes to applying and blending out eyeshadows, this brush performs very well, plus, it's extremely soft and gentle on my eyes. Definitely wouldn't repurchase the Mac 224, especially, when there is alternatives out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2014 1:22:00 PM More reviews by hendenm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A must have in any brush collection. Fantastic for blending and applying transition colours above the crease. Look at my review for Naked3 and here this brush was invaluable. I could not have achieved the look. Washes up well. I would say this brush is a must have!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2014 12:59:00 AM More reviews by raquelsimoes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Although most people use this brush for blending eye shadow, my main use for it is applying liquid under-eye concealer. For that purpose, I think it's just perfect. Also, you don't have to use a lot of concealer (despite having to use a good one obviously or the brush won't do any good! - I use the Pro Longwear by MAC, which I also found to be amazing) to hide those awful dark circles, which is a plus. Mine are very hard to cover and this brush really helps without having to use a lot of product. As for shedding, I have only used it (and washed it) a few times so I can't comment on that. However, so far so good.

As for the packaging, I was expecting more from MAC. I mean, MAC is an expensive brand and this is an expensive makeup brush. Therefore, you'd think they would come up with a cute idea for its packaging. Instead, I got this brush wrapped in a simple piece of plastic with a small black tag saying what type of brush it is. Very disappointing since this is not the case of other MAC products that I own, such as concealer, brush cleanser, finishing powder, etc. The brush itself is pretty though: black with silver letters.

As for the price, I got mine for 37 euros. Yes, it is quite expensive. Is it worth it? I think so, because I haven't found a brush that works as well as this one for applying under-eye concealer. Nevertheless, it's a lot of money for one makeup brush and I would not think twice If I had a cheaper alternative.

Overall, I recommend you try this brush before buying it and see for yourself. Not everyone likes the same things. Personally, I'm in love with it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2014 6:47:00 PM More reviews by futurestrength

This is a good blending brush. I think there are plenty of brushes out there that are equivalent, but it still does a good job.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2014 12:47:00 PM More reviews by MrzVentura

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The best blending brush I have ever used...love love love...it may be a little pricy but it is worth it. I cannot even explain how amazing this brush is.