MAC Lustre - Gleam

3.6

on 5/31/2015 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Mac Gleam is a beautiful shimmering light peachy pink shade. I originally bought this product thinking it would be a beautiful brow bone and inner corner highlighter. I'm not really sure why as it's much too pink and shimmery but none-the-less a gorgeous eyeshadow. This eyeshadow isn't overly pigmented, so I more use it to dust over other shades to add some glitter as when used alone it's just kind of clear with pink sparkles. I bought this eyeshadow in the Duty free store at the airport so naturally it was a little cheaper than usual. It retailed in duty free for $26 AUD which isn't so expensive it's going to break the bank but when you keep in mind that it's the price for just one single eyeshadow it seems a little excessive.

There is nothing particularly wrong with this eyeshadow but there's just nothing special about it. The packaging is beautiful (like any other MAC packaging) but this shadow just doesn't do it for me. I will continue to use it but it's not something i find my self reaching for. I will continue purchase other MAC eye shadows as there are plenty better ones than this but this isn't a staple in my collection.

on 8/14/2014 9:47:00 PM

This was one of my more disappointing purchases at MAC. I never use this color and thought it looked so nice in the store. Maybe I'll find a use for it one day.

on 2/23/2014 4:40:00 AM

For those who didn't get on with gleam as an eyeshadow don't abandon it - use it as a highlighter! I purchased Gleam specifically to wear as a face highlight. That's right - it makes the most beautiful highlighter on cheeks, bridge of nose and cupids bow. It is also great for livening up matte blushers and complements peachier shades like Springsheen. The lustre finish may not always be flattering on the eyelids but applied with the stroke of a finger and blended well it gives such a beautiful satin sheen when used to highlight the face. The colour transfers as a very natural warm 'glow' and works especially well on 'tired' days! Although Gleam is an eyeshadow, as a highlight shade the effect is softer and prettier than more conventional powders and I cannot recommend it enough. It looks beautiful in daylight - not garish or overly sparkly - even on winter pale days and the effect is just as beautiful with a tan in the summer. I would even go so far to say that if you love Amber Diamond by Dior or want a dupe - the effect is virtually the same. I enjoy Amber Diamond but having Gleam in my MAC Palette is genius - portable and very effective (at a third of the price). Regardless of your skin tone definately try it!

on 7/16/2013 11:52:00 AM

This eyeshadow isn't what I though it was going to be at all. When I swatched it in the store it was soft and opaque and beautiful! When I brought it home and tried it out myself, there was no color pay off and it was patchy with TONS of fall out. I would not recommend this to anyone! I regret wasting 15 dollars on an eyeshadow that I don't even want to use.

on 3/6/2013 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Im not a fan of the MAC lustre e/shadows at all however this one piqued my interest.
It is very much a peach & gold mixture which looks very similar to the mineralize blushes when applied.
Being a lustre, there is fall-out & the colour payoff is not instant like you would have with the matte or satin finishes so you do have to do some "work" in order for this e/shadow to "shine". I use it dry for a subtle finish or wet for more intensity. Layered over a cream colour base rich coral looks lovely too.
dont be afraid to try this because of the lustre finish...it takes time but its worth the effort.

on 3/5/2013 2:57:00 PM

I got this shadow when I Back2MAC'd some used up items. I think it's really pretty! In the store it looked like more of a frosty pink-orange, but when I got it home I noticed it was more of coppery-pinkish color. Normally I don't like pinks on me at all, but yesterday I wore this color with only some mascara and it was so pretty! I definitely recommend using with a primer and just patting the shadow onto the lid because the fall out is tremendous. It's that terrible lustre finish that does it. It's the only thing keeping this shadow from being 5 lippies. I wish they had made it in a vuluxe pearl or something. MAC should probably do away with the lustre finish all together, it's not very widely accepted. This is the only lustre that I would repurchase. I could see this really looking stunning on women of color though because it's just right on the scale of opacity. I'm an NC25 and this still shows on my lids. I'm going to try the method another reviewer suggested of using it wet to reduce the fall out.

on 2/10/2013 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Gorgeous color, its a beautiful peachy slightly pale pink shadow with a gold simmer/glitter to it, looks more pink in the pot. Very pretty and versatile.
At first I thought I'd hate this because the fallout but i find that using wet can really bring out the colour, give excellent payoff and with the 286 brush have better color payoff with less fallout than other.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This eyeshadow is actually really nice! It looks glittery pink in the pan, but on my skin its a nice light gold/pink color. It is sooo stunning! I use my mac 239 flat shader brush and pack in on to my lid as an all over lid color, after I prime my eyes with urban decay eden of course, and then I use soba to darken my crease, coquette and concrete in the outer V, and omega to blend any harsh lines. Then for some flare, with my finger I tap on some of urban decay's heavy metal eyeliner in Distortion and Midnight cowboy on mostly the inner corner of the upper lid. (A nice combo) The Lustre in gleam compliments the glitter, and vice versa, but gleam would still look beautiful on its own with other looks as well. Exactly what I was looking for! I love gold colors so this is perfect :]

on 10/14/2012 5:16:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

NW10-15 (neutral-cool toned, very fair), blue eyes, Color season is True Summer, Baumann Skin Type is OSPW.

Love this shadow. It's a soft, adaptable, copper with gold glitter. It is lighter in pigmentation, so it may not show up on or may disappoint people with darker skin tones. I may not keep it because one of the highlight shades in my Anastasia brow palette is very similar, but I would repurchase.
EDIT: This one me is VERY similar to Stila's Kitten smudge pot. Except this is way easier to blend than Stila smudge pots, especially after they have dried. I love this shadow.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Love it! Looks great, stays on, and lasts forever(:

Top Rated MAC Products