April 20, 2014 | 1709 users online

Shampoo - Kiehls - Amino Acid Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 1:06:00 PM More reviews by shi1

I finished up a regular sized bottle of this, and have repurchased a large size of this. During my younger years I always used drugstore shampoos like Pantene and Herbal Essences. As I got older I moved onto higher end shampoos like l'Oreal Professional and Rusk, eventually venturing into Japanese brands like Shiseido. When I first started using those brands, I loved how silky soft my hair felt and how easy it was to run my fingers through my long hair. I realized that although my hair was shiny and straight, it was flat and would get oily very quickly so I was washing my hair everyday. I didn't like this shampoo at first because it didn't give me that same silky feeling, but now I can't go back to those shampoos I used previously.

This shampoo is silicone free and paraben free. It is not sulfate free, but the sulfates in it are much gentler than the ones in regular shampoos. I think the main culprit is silicone. It is the ingredient that would coat my hair making feel silky and soft, but on the flip side, it was preventing other nutrients from getting in and it was creating buildup. So while my hair would feel soft, it wasn't really that healthy, and I also had to wash my hair more often because there was all this stuff sitting in my roots. Since I've switched to this shampoo, I only need to wash my hair every 3 days and I don't get any flakes. My hair has more volume and is smooth and healthy.

The product itself is kind of like a thick gel and you don't need very much product. It has a nice and gentle coconut smell and it does lather up. I always shampoo my hair twice when I wash it - the first time to wash out the products and gunk, and the second time for a good clean. The first shampoo it will not lather up much, but the second time I will get a good lather. The bottle is nothing fancy, and the price is pretty expensive but I try to wait for promotions to pick it up!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/14/2013 6:45:00 PM More reviews by Caffeinatrix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This stuff is nice & mild and leaves my hair soft and smooth. I use it with Kiehl's Amino Acid Conditioner and/or Conditioner and Grooming Aid Formula 133. I *LOVE* the scent.

I do wish it were more concentrated - for a pricey product I feel like it should last much longer. Since L'Occitane ^%$^%$!ed up their Aromachologie Repairing shamp & cond formulas (AUUUGGGHHH WHY GOD WHYYY), I'll continue re-buy it til I find something I like as well and feel is a better value, though.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2013 10:54:00 AM More reviews by sherylash8

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

shampoo is ok. smells like coconut. makes your hair really shin.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2013 8:40:00 PM More reviews by lovenall

It is an ok shampoo. It is gentle, coconut scented and nicely leathering shampoo, but that's about it. I wanted my hair to look healthier and smoother, but this didn't provide any of that. It somewhat thinned out my hair and made it more tangly. But it is gentle though. And if you like coconut scent, you might like this.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/21/2012 2:51:00 PM More reviews by DSNW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the Amino Acid Conditioner and I really wanted to love the shampoo as well but it's just too drying for my curly hair :(
The scent is amazing though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2012 3:22:00 PM More reviews by signsoflife

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got to try this at my husband's gym when I used a guest pass, and luckily the trip coincided with when it was time to wash my hair (I wash 2-3x/week). Normally I wash with a drugstore shampoo, like Herbal Essences (blue bottle) or Aussie Moist, but I dislike them because I suspect they are too stripping--my cuticles sting repeated washings. Kiehl's Amino Acid shampoo did not give my cuticles a peeling back feeling, and seemed to leave my hair clean without overstripping. The mild coconut scent was a bonus, but the extremely high price (remember, I typically use drugstore brands so this price difference is HUGE for me!) puts me off. I may buy in the future, but it's a tentative yes. I'm not one of those hair mavens on here who knows about every product, but I don't know of a cheaper DS product that might work the same way, which is a shame for me and my wallet.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2012 10:39:00 PM More reviews by KathleenM415

I'm really enjoying the Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo. It has a lovely coconut scent and cleans without over-stripping my hair of its vital oils. This shampoo is definitely on the pricier end of the spectrum so be prepared for a little sticker shock. I received this product as a gift, but I would consider buying it in the future with my own money.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2012 8:38:00 AM More reviews by gumbo1956

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Hands down,this is my favorite shampoo. I've been using it for years and never tire of the scent or the way my hair looks and feels after using it. I have stopped using it and tried other shampoos, but they never come close to the results I get with the Amino Acid shampoo. I've found that if I put the shampoo on my hair and leave it while I do the rest of my showering, that after rinsing I don't need a conditioner. My hair is shiny and smooth after drying and I think the nice scent lingers all day. In the past, I had the problem of a super itchy patch at the nape of my neck after a few uses of many shampoos, but Amino Acid shampoo doesn't cause that reaction. The condition is good too, but I just don't use it as often.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2012 9:39:00 AM More reviews by lunalove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the smell of this shampoo- it is a very mild coconut scent that unfortunately doesnt really linger that much after you get out of the shower.
This makes my hair feel very soft but thinner than my other shampoos. My hair (described by my hairdressers as thick and wavy) feels thinner and flatter when I use this shampoo and conditioner. Almost like when I tried Paul Mitchell's skinny combination.
I would say that this is a gentle shampoo and conditioner as well, not too harsh.
I will not repurchase just because I dont like the way it makes my hair feel thinner and because it is quite pricey and I have other pricy shampoos that I prefer.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Sophie1995

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Nice shampoo for all hair types. It protects my hair and minimize hair loss.