October 31, 2014 | 902 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - pure stay long wearing pressed powder

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2014 11:48:00 PM More reviews by syork

I would swear that I have been using this for about 15 years. It's my HG foundation, so I am soo disappointed that it has been discontinued. I have never found anything that compares. You can use a brush for light coverage to just even out your complexion and mattify your skin, or you can use the sponge and build up the coverage up to medium or even full coverage with out it looking cakey. (I never need concealer when I use this, I just use the sponge and heavier application). Another thing I love is that it holds up very well thoughout the day, and it never feels like you are wearing foundation. I also love the colors. Ivory is perfect for me in the winter and nude is perfect for me in the summer. I am just crushed that it is discontinued!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2013 10:08:00 PM More reviews by DMlover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I quite like this powder the coverage is amazing and I wear the color Nude which matches my skin tone perfectly and I like that it has some sun screen. The packaging is very dreadful, they should work on that. My biggest issue with this powder is the staying power is bad. I tend to wear this only when im in a hurry and don't care if my foundation lasts.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2012 1:04:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Everytime I use this powder foundation it really WOW's me. I'm always feeling like I have to try the newest things that come out so this gets pushed to the back or bottom of my makeup collection from time to time, and I forget it's there until I find it again in a month or two..
I've been using this again for the past 6-7 days in a row (which is more days in a row than I used it in the past) and have to say I'm impressed! My skin is fair and warm undertoned (NC15ish if I wore MAC) and also oily (yet can get dehydrated in cooler/changing weather) and very clog-prone. This powder has never given me any issues with clogged pores or breakouts and controls my oil surprisingly well, even without a primer or another powder "setting" it overtop.
I used this powder on and off in High School (more than 14yrs ago! o_O) but couldn't remember much else about it other than that I liked it. After reading a few recommendations on the MakeUp Board of this being a lot of MUA'ers favorite powder foundation, I went out and picked it up again about 6 months ago. My initial reaction when I saw the poor shade selection was that the lightest shade would be too dark for me but I picked it up anyway for right around $7 USD at my local WalMart. It seems that every drugstore has this ALLLL the way at the bottom of their Maybelline display, barely noticeable to anyone who's not *looking* for it, which is disappointing to me :( I think for as awesome as this powder is, it should be promoted by Maybelline a little more.. Regardless, the lightest shade (Ivory) IS indeed a good shade match (actually it's a near PERFECT match) So if you are on the lighter side of N/NC15, the lightest shade SHOULD indeed work for you. If you're more fair with pink undertones (NW10-15), then the Ivory shade may be a bit too yellow undertoned for your taste, but it's so inexpensive I'd say give it a try anyway ;)
The first time I tried it I used the enclosed sponge - bad idea.. It gave a patchy application (IME at least..) So I ditched the sponge and used a brush, which is typically what I use for powder foundations anyway, and while the brush made application much easier and even, it provided very light coverage this way. So if very light coverage is what you're looking for, I'd definately recommend brush application for Maybelline PureStay. I've since switched to a powder puff for applying this. I've found that dabbing/bouncing the puff around on my skin blurs out imperfections best (rather than swiping, which seems to emphasize my large/visible pores) and this method provides light-to-medium coverage and is easily buildable to full on medium coverage without looking cakey. If you DO apply a bit too much and get the "cakey/powdery" look going on, just spritz a little RoseWater (or something like MAC Fix+ Spray) and it will tone it down to a more natural finish. (I like Boot's RoseWater Toner at Target - I've decanted some into a spray bottle just for situations like this) Plus it lasts all day on my oily skin, with OR without primer :) I kept glancing at myself in the mirror quite a few hours after my initial application and just thinking WOW, I can't believe my makeup still looks this fresh and perfect! &Those of you with difficult or oily skin and large pores (like mine) know that this isn't something we get to say too often when we see ourselves in the mirror many hours after we apply makeup (I know I don't at least..Lol ;D)
If you're someone who needs full on heavy coverage on a daily basis I'd still recommend this to you, and would just suggest you would use this more as a setting powder for another foundation rather than using it alone. I've found that sometimes layering two light/medium coverage foundations can give a better, full coverage appearance and more staying power vs. a full coverage foundation on it's own.
Needless to say Maybelline PureStay will NOT be getting pushed to the bottom of my makeup collection anymore, and has made its way into my high rotation makeup bag (where I keep the products I love and use most often) and I certainly plan to repurchase and highly recommend

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2012 9:25:00 PM More reviews by ashleytohl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Comparable to Estee Lauder Double Wear Powder as a cheaper alternative.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2011 3:12:00 PM More reviews by BeautyQueenOfTheScene21

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Best powder ever. The worst thing to see when I am out, is a woman with a butt-load of cakey powder on her face. That is the one thing I am avoiding, at any cost. This powder, can either be very sheer, and dusted on with a powder brush (I usually put it over my tinted moisturizer if I want a heavier night-version for my makeup) or be a little heavier, used with the sponge included. It's still not cakey! It's great. I use it for my dance performances too, it's pretty sweat resistant but comes off easily with a baby wipe. Perfect shade for me too, natural beige. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2011 11:55:00 PM More reviews by analoguerock

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite powder! It goes on smooth, doesn't look cakey, and lasts for a long time. The color matches my skin great. My only complaint is the packaging is really ugly, and I wish it had a bigger mirror.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/5/2011 11:43:00 PM More reviews by heavengirl1390

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Other

I am a pale NC 15 (winter) - NC 20 (summer) asian with acne-prone, and super duper oily skin. Most powder foundation slide off my skin within the first 2 hours or look too cakey. I have to admit... I am very impressed with this powder even though in the end it did turn orange on me. :(

***PRO:
- Decent color selection (Neutral-like)
- Lightest shade fit me well
- Powder is finely milled.
- Long lasting and didn't melt off of my oil skin
- Doesn't make me break out
- Easy to blend and layer
- Has SPF 15
- Doesn't become cake
- Easy to find at most drugstore
- Can be found under $10

***CONS:
- Packaging is unappealing and flimsy
- Sponge is... mehhh.
- Oxidized on me too soon! Oxidation color is a bronzey orange!!!

The powder's formulation is perfect in every way but except for the fact it OXIDIZED! For this reason, I will not repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 8:30:00 PM More reviews by noname103

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I initially reviewed this product 2 years ago when I bought it impulsively at a local CVS to cover a blemish. At that time I gave it an overall rating of 2, with a 3 for price and a 4 for packaging. I now feel I have to adjust my review because I've come to appreciate this product much, much more.

The best thing about this product is that it gives you smooth, blendable coverage with skin that appears flawless. However, it is a powder formula so this will only work if you do NOT have dry skin or flaky areas. The product packaging is unattractive - it's definitely not one of those that you pick up to try out just because you're attracted to it. In fact it's usually on the bottom shelf at the stores. The compact flips open and includes a mirror and a square sponge which is super soft and perfect for applying the product.

There is a very limited shade selection, and although the shades apply lighter than they appear in the compact, the lightest shade (10) probably will not be light enough for those with extremely pale skin. Likewise, there are no available shades for darker skin tones.

Overall I now love this product because of the flawless look it gives, and I actually think its equal to and possibly better than many of the high end brand pressed powders I've used. I consider this a treasure of a drugstore find and will definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2011 10:41:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

This was my HG foundation and setting powder all throughout high school. Loved it because I had ghostly white skin and the lightest shade (10) really lives up to the definition of light.

This is GREAT if you are an oily skinned girl looking for medium to heavy coverage. this powder really MATTIFIES and evens out skin tone (if you use a heavy hand with the applicator sponge, it can turn out cakey, but that's easily fixed by buffing it after application).

I alternate between this and BE mineral veil for mattefying and setting my foundation now, mainly for the days I need additional coverage.

Bottom line:
It's a great makeup for those of us who need coverage, oil control, and overslept (because 3 quick swipes and your face is good to go!).

Edit - this powder no longer works for me, as it gets oily around my T zone if left on for more then 6 hours, and also the shade 10 is too dark for me now.

My profile, for FYI:
NW10/15, cool toned, blue eyes, normal/oily skin, 3a fine but coarse curly hair but I wear straight thanks to keratin treatments!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2010 9:16:00 PM More reviews by xDOLLFACEx

Its a great powder foundation. Goes on light and smooth. Feels velvety and applies excellent with a dampened sponge. Does last a long time and still feels smooth and looks good. Blends easily and has good coverage w/out looking cakey. The colors in the pack look dark but are actually light when you use them, like i got the lightest shade cuz it looked a bit like a darker light but no its pretty pale so i need the next shade up so keep that in mind that these look dark in the case but apply pretty light.