October 22, 2014 | 1829 users online

Styling Products - Murray's - Murray's Superior Hair Dressing Pomade

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 9/17/2014 2:49:00 PM More reviews by CattyTatts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

First and foremost, this product does not give the much coveted pompodour that it is said to. This product does not come out of hair. This product will remove your hair color if your hair is color treated. This products will make your hair fall out and break off both when applying it and trying to remove it. It also broke the sides of my face out into hives. You can try every remedy on the web to try and get this crap out of your hair and none of them work. If you want a slicked back, flat as hell, grease ball hair do that never comes out, then this produt is perfect for you. Also, don't bother going to a stylist because they won't even be able to remove it. The only thing that gets this out is shaving your head. Even then the gunk will get stuck in your clippers and you will have to buy more. Buyer be warned.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2014 3:53:00 PM More reviews by Susan2148A

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used this years ago when I had super-short hair and decided to give it another shot since I am having problems with my longer hair later in life. First, I'm white. My hair is thick, coarse and silver in the front and the rest is a mix of brown and silver. I've been growing out the layers and bangs for months, and in about a year I'm hoping to have it all one length, hitting just above my shoulders. Anyway, my bangs reach just below my nose, and I wear them to the side, parted just about an inch off center. There's a section of hair about 1/16" of an inch wide that, no matter what, falls in my eyes. I've tried a mud-type product, spray-on gels for before blow-drying and hair sprays and fixatives for after drying and the *@%#$ section will inevitably fall in my eyes less than five minutes after styling. Murray's is the only thing that keeps that from happening. Yes, it is hard to work with and almost impossible to wash out, but it's worth it if you have an unruly section that needs taming. I dig out a small amount with my finger, put it in the palm of my hand, and aim the blow dryer at it for about 30 seconds. That makes it warm enough to work with, but this stuff will not ever feel like a liquid or silicone product. It's thick and sticky and that's what you have to work with. I use my fingers to apply a small amount to the roots of the unruly section. Then, I rub my hands together vigorously and work the remaining product through the rest of the front of my hair. It not only holds it in place, but breaks up the texture and keeps it from looking too "done." I have not used it all over because to do so would take too long, so I'm just applying it to problem areas. I love it. I've tried many, many products by Pantene, KMS, L'Oreal, Tresemme, Clairol, Aveda, and on and on, this does the trick. And it's the cheapest of all the products I've tried. If you have trouble finding it, check the African American haircare section.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2013 9:43:00 PM More reviews by lilliputhaunt

This has to me among the best styling products I've ever used. It comes in a little orange vintage looking tin. I'm not a huge fan of 30's design or the color orange, and the lid isn't very secure, but I can get past that. The smell is really nice. It has a mild cinnamon-vanilla kinda flavor with a slightly sharp undertone that I can't quite identify (this could be the product itself, but it certainly doesn't smell bad). It's not strong enough to compete with your other scents, so it's not much of a concern. What blows me away with this product is it's ridiculous ease of use and holding power. I'm not exaggerating at all - this stuff cut my styling time in half. Nothing has ever given me such complete control of my hair! I spike the front of my thick, 2-inch hair up, and most products can't even ACHIEVE that, much less hold it. With this, not only do I get some of the strongest hold I've ever gotten, but it's also soft, healthy looking, and natural. I don't think my hair has EVER looked better than when I used this product. Murray's has been around since 1925 for a reason. Do yourself a favor and go see why.

Also, a tip for washing: Before getting in the shower, blow dry your hair while combing it with a fine toothed comb. Take a couple breaks to wipe off the comb a few times. This will get enough pomade off to wash off with regular shampoo (it's still a good idea to clarify once in a while, though.)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 2:35:00 PM More reviews by sspc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

Just picked up a jar yesterday. I am so impressed I had to write. My hair is going through trauma, It has been breaking and shedding like crazy(finally stopped now) The result is my hair is much thinner and fragile now. I used this product to smooth down my broken edges and I put a very small amount on my ends and the crown of my head (where the thinning is most noticeable). I am amazed that my hair feels thicker and heavier. It has fused together my broken ends so that it looks much less scraggly and more healthy. Now my style is a little flatter now, but that's ok with me until it grows out again then I can fluff it up.

I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2012 7:03:00 AM More reviews by reddbwoy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Good for waves, holds hair in place; it's cheap; the tin can be warmed on the stove or with a blow dryer to soften the pomade; i'll buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2012 8:28:00 PM More reviews by Donovango

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a very special product especially suited for guys. I consider it a secret weapon on some days when you want to go all out and sleep in the next day. It's greasy. True. A little can go a long way so take it easy. It's old school and was probably mainly intended for African hair. The Beeswax version is fantastic if you can find it (usually in the "black" hair section). There is also a rare but amazing black tinted version! If you have choppy hair and love Rock'n'roll, this is a must have. Adds not just style, but aura.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2012 9:42:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

At $2.99 a tin, this pomade can't be beat. The retro packaging is cute and you can pick it up anywhere. I rub a pea size amount between my palms and scrunch this into my hair for a textured look. If you want a lighter effect here's a trick for thinning the product out. Simply scoop out the desired amount and run a hairdryer over the product for a few seconds to soften. Rub the pomade between your palms and apply.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2012 5:29:00 PM More reviews by NanoBabes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't know why this works better for me than other pomades/waxes, all it is is petroleum and mineral oil, but it just does. My hair is somewhat thick and semi-wavy when not styled. It's not what we call "ethnic", though that's the kind of hair Murray's is aimed towards. I never NOT style it because the waves are not defined and some pieces stay straight. Murray's - though I do use it in conjunction with a serum - has just the right consistency that it defines my waves/curls into pieces and really "holds" throughout the day. While you don't want products necessarily weighing your hair down, this weighs it down enough without sacrificing volume or making my hair look greasy.

What I do is I rub my fingers into the wax and pick up about a nickel to quarter sized amount (I have a LOT of hair). The wax is pretty hard like others have said, but it's manageable and easy to pick up on warmer days or when it's been stashed in my bag all day. I then warm it up and rub it between my hands so it slightly coats my palms and fingers. Then I squeeze a slight amount of serum (I've been using Citre Shine or One 'n' Only Argon Oil) into my palm, and rub again gently, having them melt into each other. Then I run it through my hair and flip my head over and scrunch. Sometimes I don't even need to scrunch, when it dries my hair just comes out more curled and textured. It usually has more of a beach hair effect, with a slight springiness.

I've used serums combined with gels, pomades, and waxes before, and it's never been this effective. Other products have flaked or just left a residue on blah looking hair. I normally straighten my hair, but when people see me go wavy they always ask if I got a perm and what I do or use to get it like that. They're always incredulous when I tell them to get the orange vintage tin with the afros on them, for a buck and change.

Surprisingly, for using petroleum+oil in my hair, my hair doesn't get weighed down or greasy, though it might need a washing every 2 days rather than my usual 3 (which is the case when I use any hair product other than serum/oil). The key is warming it up and adding a bit of moisture so it applies smoothly. Also, apply lightly until you get to the bottom third of your hair, then go to town. It's simple and cheap, and I highly recommend it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2011 11:10:00 PM More reviews by Katras

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

When I was younger I remember passing by the barber shop my brother used to get his hair cut, with tins and tins of this stuff pyramided against the wall, something about their orange tin fascinated me - maybe it was the fact that this has been around since the 20s, or maybe because all the fashion magazines recommended this stuff. When I was 14-15(?) I finally bought my own tin. A LITTLE BIT GOES A LONG WAY! I can't stress this enough. For my long hair I take a pea's amount, warm between my hands and smooth and scrunch my hair to bring out my waves. Nothing gives such definition, using so little. I will always have in my hair arsenal.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2011 2:35:00 PM More reviews by BeagleLab

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

YUCK! This product is awful. I bought it based on a recommendation in a fashion magazine. Boy was I disappointed. It should be cheap for what it does and what it does not do. Totally gummy, actually pulled hair out of my head. I really cannot see this working on anyone but a horse. Sorry. :) Oh, possibly my Aussie Shep. or the Lab. Too late, I tossed it.