Avene Cold Cream Lip Balm

3.2

on 6/25/2015 1:29:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

A must have for cold Canadian winters. I walk a lot outside during the winter and work at a cold ice rink and my lips see the effects of the weather. I love the taste and smell of this, it's mild and unlike most lip balms it doesn't make me cough. It is quite thick but that's to be expected given that it is cold cream.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a very thick, creamy balm in stick format, but as some other reviewers have mentioned, it leaves a white film on the lips -- so I don't want to use it during the day on its own -- and is too moisturizing to use under lipstick -- so I don't use it in the morning. I use this every once in a while as a night treatment (switching off with aquaphor). If it were in a tub or tube and marketed as an overnight treatment, I'd have given this a higher score. I'm fine with the unobtrusive aroma. I bought this at the same time I bought the LaRoche Posay lip balm -- which was EUR 3 cheaper! -- and that product is so much better. I usually love Avene products. This one definitely moisturizes my lips overnight, it's just not a product to toss in your purse and use during the day unless you want to affect a 60's mod look of super pale lips!

on 1/20/2015 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This was definitely one of the most revolting lip balms I have ever purchased. Okay, I didn't purchase it, my dad did and when I stumbled upon it in my house I decided to give it a go seeing as it was from Avene. However, I was sorely disappointed with it's lack of moisturising abilities. It left my lips even more dry and flaky!!!

The texture was also another huge let down, it's creamy and soft(just like cold cream) but it doesn't sink into my lips at all which is quite a hassle especially if I want to eat or drink something.

I switched this for Eucerin's Lip Activ and have never looked back!!

on 7/20/2014 11:19:00 PM

I bought this after seeing some really good reviews here on MUA. I've been using it constantly for a while now and have to say I'm pretty disappointed.

First up, I really dislike the packaging. The tube is too wide for my liking. I don't get a very precise application with it, it seems like any way I apply it I end up with it outside my lips.

The product itself is very creamy and feels good on my lips. However, it doesn't last very long. I find myself reapplying it constantly. It does leave a bit of a white cast on your lips, but it wasn't anything that really bothered me. It also has a bit of a pearl-essence to it, but it is nothing too noticeable.

The last thing I disliked about this lip balm is the price. I think I paid just over $10 for it from Amazon. If it was a miracle product I wouldn't mind the price. However, since it really didn't impress me, I can't justify paying that much for a lip balm again.

on 6/4/2014 6:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I keep repurchasing this product again and again for years, because it is my favorite lip care product! I used to have terrible chapped lips and I was trying various brands' lip balms and butters to find the perfect one. I really tried a lot so that I can compare them.

The product claims that ''it relieves dry, flaky and chapped lips, and cocoons the skin in an emollient barrier that protects against external aggressors. Also it Immediately softens lips as it heals, restores and protects.''
I coudn't explained it better. Everything is true! It does what a lip balm should do and even more. There is not a single disadvantage, at least for me.This is my HG!!

on 3/12/2014 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am almost ready to toss this! I had initially bought this to replace my burts bee mango lipbalm..not that I dislike the burts bees one but it had a pretty strong fragrance to it. I bought the avene one thinking it would work even better and without the fragrance. After using this for about a week, I didn't notice any difference to my chapped lips. I used it often as an overnight lip treatment. It goes on kinda thick ( you can see white residue on your lips immediately after applying) and in the morning I would still be able to see the thick layer on my lips. On my first try, I thought it meant I would have smooth soft lips in the morning. However, it was just gross and peeling. I tried it day after day and it was still the same. I ended up applying it at night and scrubbing at my lips with my toothbrush to remove the layer of lipbalm along with my peeling lips. Almost tempted to buy Dior creme de rose now.

on 2/10/2014 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I'm on Accutane and this is really saving my life in the harsh Canadian winter. It protects and nourishes my poor tender lips and just makes them feel 100% better. There is a slight scent, but it's not much and there's no gross taste. The packaging is really solid and nice.

The only problem is that it's very thick and you can't really put it under a lipstick or anything, so I largely wear it at home or when I don't really care that my lips have a slightly white cast. Other than that it's the perfect product. It is expensive, but it's definitely worth it to me.

on 1/21/2014 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I got this because moving to an actually cold climate for winter has given me angular cheilitis, and I read that lanolin is great for that. This has lanolin, but also petroleum :( Regardless, it has really helped my lips retain moisture. I think when it comes to lip balms, there are two sorts of folk- those who 'drier' lip balms like this and EOS work well on, and those who 'drier' lip balms don't work on at all.

If EOS works for you, this will probably work as well. The price is a bit steep, but it will last awhile.

on 10/18/2013 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I just tossed mine. If I had nice lips and were just looking for some protection, it could be ok. But I want something that really moisturizes. It covers with a very thick layer, but does not last. When the layer is gone, I still have the same lips as before. No added moisture or repair. Nothing. Same dry lips needing protection. I can think of many lip balms and even lipsticks that do better. Waste of money. Oh, and bought in Germany.

on 7/20/2013 2:41:00 AM

I LOVE this, and I'm shocked that there aren't more positive reviews! I'm on accutane, and this is the ONLY thing other than Aquaphor that helps me. Bought it on a total whim - I left home without anything for my lips and soon enough my lips were dying of thirst.

The packaging sucks (the tube cracked almost immediately) and I used up half of the stick in only a week. It leaves an opaque white coat (which I think looks nice, even though I'm a guy. whatever).

Who cares though? INSTANT relief!!! My lips look and feel great for HOURS after using this product, and on accutane this is a RARITY (anyone who has taken it will know). I still stick to Aquaphor at night, just because this lip balm is so expensive. But it's portable, which Aquaphor is not. I wish I knew about this earlier on.

5/5, hands DOWN.