October 21, 2014 | 912 users online

Fragrances - Serge Lutens - Un Bois Vanille

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2014 5:03:00 PM More reviews by Necrobella

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the perfect scent for those who crave vanilla but need for it to have a haunting, dark, and smoky overtone. Once it develops I smell Nag Champa incense burning with a fresh maple donut tempting me nearby and a little réglisse macaron from Ladurée thrown in for good measure. An oriental gourmand at its absolute best; this has been my signature scent for two years now. I get a full day of enjoyment out of it and I find that I sometimes can even still smell it here and there for days after on inanimate objects I inadvertently brushed against. A whiff when I open my closet… a whiff on the photocopier… on the little dog's fur….

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2014 9:42:00 AM More reviews by fergiefergie

Let me preface my review by stating that I have dry skin on my body. It eats fragrance and then laughs at me. On the flip side of this, I can successfully wear the heavy hitters from the '80's, Coco, Opium, Paris, etc., and people love them on me. Un Bois Vanille is very soft on me and wears very close. I'm not getting the coconut, licorice.. Have been wanting to try this one for years, and am saddened to say that I am disappointed. Will stick with my TF Tobacco Vanille and Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2013 9:47:00 PM More reviews by tecumsum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Blind purchase this one was. Not really impressed at first, but it definitely grew on me. It is a warm, comforting, and dare I say, yummy fragrance. It lasts all day on me. I find myself sniffing my wrists most of the day and also reaching for it over and over again in spite of my having so many darned fragrances to choose from. I think that this is my favorite vanilla scent...right up there with Hypnotic Poison. Smelling it makes me smile and must have a positive effect on my psyche because I find that I am decidedly content whenever I wear it. Kudos. Can't ask for more than that, huh?

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2013 7:09:00 PM More reviews by vmalenfant

I'm a fan of Serge Lutens, so my review might be biais! What I love the most about this perfume is the opening, cedar, warm wood is the first top note, this is kind of rare because usually it is a note you find in the dry down of perfume, and I love cedar! so right from the get go it just make me happy! And then it dry down to a sweet vanilla no surprise here as it says bois Vanille. I'm not that good with smell and all the note my nose can pick up but it is a nice all year round perfume with close to the body sillage and medium longevity.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2013 3:01:00 PM More reviews by zeynepd

Fluffy, wearable comfort fragrance on the thick, milky side without much woods or fruit on me. Coconut, a note I'm generally careful about, is very present here, but somehow it doesn't disturb me. Likeable, but I don't crave it the way I crave some gourmands.

medium sillage and longevity

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2013 4:20:00 PM More reviews by Orientexpress

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I've been on the hunt for a sweet vanilla that contains enough darkness to give it depth and character. I sampled several including L'AP Vanille Absolument, Guerlain SDV, and Liz Zorn's Vanillaville. I chose UBV over the aforementioned because they were not what I was looking for; they were dank (good dank), syrupy, and boozy. I thought they were too intellectual. I wanted a vanilla that was sexy and a little ditzy. At first sniff, UBV careened toward caramel and cake. After five minutes, she turned the corner and presented as an assertive tonka . I know Marilyn Monroe was known for wearing Chanel no. 5 to bed, but I could see her wearing this on quiet evenings spent with Arthur Miller and a copy of Ulysses. This perfume is a little vulgar on the outset, but smart and interesting at the finish. EDIT: My boyfriend (who is not particularly sophisticated re:perfumes) says that I smell "generic" and like "a candle store" when I wear this. This frag is pretty one-dimensional on me, but I like it for what it is. I wanted a straightforward and sweet vanilla, after all. I layer this with Dzing! to give it more depth and dimension. Dzing! and UBV complement each other well; therefore, I imagine it would be delicious paired with Bulgari black or any other sweet leather scent. I've decided that I won't repurchase this fragrance. It'
s lovely, but not special enough to justify the price. I'm still haunted by Liz Zorn's Vanillaville.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2012 8:22:00 AM More reviews by sanna_sometimes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

To me it's rather a simple gourmand, dessert-like vanilla fragrance, not dark, woody or spicy. I was expecting something more complex but I am a lover of gourmand perfumes in general and vanilla in particular and I've learned to love it for what it is.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 6:06:00 AM More reviews by LizWords

I finally finished a large decant of this perfume this evening. I'm sure that I'm going to be shunned by the lovers of this perfume for this opinion, but I don't think this perfume is anything special. I love many of SL's perfumes and understand why they are so pricey, but I certainly don't think it's worth $85+ for a 50ml bottle as it's a very basic woody vanilla scent. Now don't get me wrong, it smells nice, not so cloying or gourmand as to irritate me, it is a very pretty smooth rich vanilla. But, over the last year I've tried many dups of this perfume that smell exactly the same, it does not seem very hard to replicate. So in my opinion, if you like this scent and can't or won't shell out upwards of $100 for a small bottle, try Earthen Treasures or Cherrydivablossom's dups for this. I bet you won't be able to tell much of a difference other than the excess cash you still have in your wallet after you purchase.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2012 5:09:00 AM More reviews by Anda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Un Bois Vanille is the scent that first got me interested in the Serge Lutens line. I've been intrigued by its treacly-rich coconut-caramel feel for years, and finally bought a bottle almost 10 years after I first smelt it.

Un Bois Vanille is a vanilla-coconut bomb for me. It's very morish; maybe just a tad TOO heavy for the hot climate where I reside, since it's so linear and tenacious. If the "Bois" (Wood) part of the fragrance was more prominent, I would gladly wear it on its own. As things go though, I only use it for layering with other scents to add creaminess and warmth. (Try this under Bvlgari Black!) Just be careful to apply a minimal amount when layering because Un Bois Vanille is like an Angelfish; oh-so-pretty and harmless-looking, until it obliterates everything else.

On the flip side, the sillage and longevity is incredible. This has no problem holding its own in a marathon against Thierry Mugler's Angel. If you are on the market for a dark, rich, boozy, gourmand vanilla which is going to stay vanillic from the start to the end, this beats most others I've tried.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2012 6:14:00 PM More reviews by MissLori

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It's the most beautiful vanilla I've ever worn (and believe me, I've tried so many!) This one also elicits many compliments. This is the perfect balance of vanilla and woods. Not too sweet, very sexy and warm. LOVE.