December 18, 2014 | 1749 users online

Treatments (Face) - Black Opal - essential fade complex

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2008 10:15:00 AM More reviews by islareina

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have to admit that I bought this product purely on the below review. I had purchased so many products to face dark spots on my skin left by acne -- everything from Dr. Brandt to Merle Normal to Oil of Olay. This product works and it's so cheap! It was difficult to find; no store had it so I got it online dirt cheap from some beauty supply store in Texas. I bought two since they were so cheap but I should not have because you only use a tiny bit.

I can completely understand the other reviewers saying that it stains the skin. It does appear that way at first. But you really not only have to use a thin thin coat, but revert back to kindergarten girls and don't color outside the lines. Meaning, ONLY cover the portion that is discolored. At first I was scared because right after you put it on, it almost look like the dark spot raises like a welt and gets even darker! But I persisted and spots that I'd had for YEARS are fading; it's been three weeks. Now I'm starting to put it on my elbows to see if it will fade there, too.

If you look at my track record, I don't approve of almost anything. I always buy these things and I'm almost always disappointed. This is one of those rare times where I'm finally happy with a product. My skin is going to be so pretty!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2008 7:01:00 AM More reviews by demetra04

I've had cystic acne and it left very dark scarring on both sides of my face, specifically on my cheek, the most obvious of all place.
I've tried saliylic acid peel 20%
Lactic acid peel 35%
Glycolic acid peel 30%
Hydroquinone 2%
Aloe vera, lemon and honey, vitamin E and a whole host of other prodcuts that were supposed to help fade scars.
I even tried black opal's advanced fade gel it worked for a while then it stopped working!
So I decided to give black opal another try and buy the essential fade!
What a relief it slowly peeled off the first couple of layers of skin(due to the combination of retinol and hydroquinone) to help reveal healthy scar free skin.
I have been so frustrated for over 2yrs with these scars and finally feel like I have hope. The key is to put a thin layer on....and I mean thin! One day I smeared it on and the next day I woke up with those stains everybody was complaining about. I used it every nite for 6 days so far and I am very pleased...I could cry. Please please please use sunscreen in the morning no matter what! Even if its a cloudy rainy day! I definetly would buy again but I see no need to. The little tube goes a lonnngggg way when used correctly, again I stress applying a thin layer. The tube helps to preserve the product longer because hydroquinone is highly unstable that just opening a jar and applying it allows it to turn black and ineffective..the gel is a brown color so don't worry its not old and useless...will continue to use and update!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2008 11:27:00 AM More reviews by gisele1

what a piece of crap! and what a waste of money. i couldnt find it at any drugstores around and ordered it online and waited for nearly 2 weeks for it to arrive! and one night of application and i'm left with redder stains on areas i had applied it to. i'm tanned, and this was still too strong for me i guess. i'm sooo aggravated, i don't know how to reverse its effects now. i look like a red piece of meat. SUCKER

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/21/2008 12:47:00 AM More reviews by caribsa99

I'm not that light and this product stained my skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/21/2008 6:17:00 AM More reviews by tanno123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Absolute rubbish!

This stuff has done nothing besides stain my skin and I only used it once. Never again! Now I need to figure out how to fade the stains!!!

Not all women of colour have dark skin

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2008 11:59:00 PM More reviews by angeluv009

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have some old acne spots that haven't been going anywhere and it annoys me. I have used other things and nothing works like this! I didn't get overnight results like other people, but after 3 or 4 weeks of using it I started to really notice a lightening of my spots. I am so pleased with this product and love the fact that you can find it in CVS. I also can't believe its so cheap (about 7/8 bucks) !!! I really reccomend this to anyone who has some dark spots that they would like to lighten, but you may not see immediate results, don't worry, things get better.
Also i wanna thank suerte99 and kardonres b/c they responded to my msg about the color. Its like a tanish/lt. brown color and I was a bit worried that I got an old tube or something, so don't be paranoid like me :-)
One other tip I have is DO NOT USE this WITH any product containing BENZOYL PEROXIDE!!!! I read online that it can cause darkening of the skin.
Overall: Loves it!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/13/2007 10:38:00 PM More reviews by suerte99

I actually got this stuff in Virginia at an Eckerd(sp?) drugstore on clearance.

I have some little brown spots that seem to pop up on my left cheek a couple times a year. This stuff works WONDERS. I love it and it doesn't sting or burn or anything.

I use it only at night...after exfoliating in the shower with an apricot scrub. I don't have sensitive skin on my face (only my eyelids), so I don't recommend this for everyone.

This stuff works very well...I noticed a result in less than a week. My cousin even complimented me on it... and she's a model and ridiculously hard to impress...when it comes to makeup/skincare stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2007 12:30:00 AM More reviews by kardonres

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using this product for about 5 days now and I
have seen dramatic results! The dark spots resulting from
past breakouts have faded tremendously, and my overall skin
tone appears almost completely even. I have been using the
fade complex in conjunction with the essential fade daily
wash and lotion, which I believe contributes to the
effectiveness. I would recommend that the entire fade line
(daily fade exfoliating wash and lotion w/ spf 15) be
used together in order to see the best results. The only
problem I experienced was drying of the skin, which I
believe resulted more form the exfoliating wash than the
fade complex serum (or maybe a combination of the two). I
have oily/combo skin and since using this, my skin has been
very dry; but to avoid this, you should use the wash only at
night, as the product recommends (and maybe every other
night) and use a gentler wash like Philosophy's Purity in
the morning. Overall, this is a wonderful line and I highly
recommend trying it!:-)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/7/2007 12:04:00 PM More reviews by pebbles33

This is more of a question based on some reviews...

For those of you who used this product and experienced 'staining' or red/orange/pink marks, what did you do about it? Did you stop using the product? If so, did the marks/staining go away? Or did you have to use something else to deal with the marks/staining?

Thanks!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2006 7:33:00 PM More reviews by dominican08

i bouGht this for like $7.50 and it works great. dont apply too much other wise it may start to irritate your skin. also i would recommend using it everyother day.