April 24, 2014 | 1919 users online

Treatments - Alberto Vo5 - Hot Oil Shower Works

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2013 9:49:00 PM More reviews by Sun2008

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have used Vo5 products for almost all my life. I've loved the hot oil treatments for years as I used to color my hair for fun, but have since transitioned to necessity due to grays.

I like using this product when I don't have the time to use the hot oil treatment. I think this is pretty much a common theme here from the other reviews.

The Good: I like the smell and I feel like it also helps my hair from breaking down due to damage.

The Bad: I'm sure that if I just used this alone in my regimen - it simply would not be enough.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2011 8:08:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

No one product is a miracle product if you don't take care of your hair. You have to develop healthy habits for healthy hair. Minimal heat, deep conditioning, clean scalp, hydration and strengthening/protegin treatments if you have damage or need to restructure your hair's bond. This product helps when I don't have time to DC and lets me skip a week, saving time. I use exactly as stated on my dry, dense, wavy 4a texturized/transitioning hair. It gives hair a nice finish when I follow up with a blow out and do believe it helps with stress from heat styling from time to time. This says it has two treatments, but I have medium length hair and I get about 6 out of it by being modest in my application and focusing primarily on the hair ends. I like that the formula works just as well without having to heat it.

UPDATE: now that I am completely natural and don't have chemically treated hair anymore, this doesn't do much of anything for me! My hair is too thick, and needs much more than what this offers. I am better off doing a hot oil treatment before shampooing. That said, I still think it worked great for when my hair was chemically treated and would recommend for those with finer hair and harsh styling options. Something is better than nothing if you don't have time to deep condition

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2011 8:24:00 PM More reviews by ari496

Ok, the first thing I noticed when I bought it was that it looked like there was enough room for 3 tubes of this stuff. There was enough room, but there was only 2. No it wasn't just that box. You only get 2 tubes for the $5. It's still a good price, it's just a let down.
I also wish I could reseal the tube, because even though I have long, thick hair, I could get 3 uses out of the 2 tubes.
This was moisturizing and it made my hair shiny and soft, but there wasn't a HUGE difference. I also didn't see much of an improvement in frizz. I took off a lipstick bc it made my roots super greasy, even after shampooing A LOT. That's gross and just unacceptable. I won't buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2011 12:44:00 AM More reviews by cbatten

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think it's only fair to point out that people will either love or hate this product because it will either fill a need that your hair has or it won't. Some of the reviews suggest that better results were had with plain old olive oil, coconut oil or other 'oil' and I wouldn't disagree that they probably DID have better results with those products because IMO they're drastically different from what this treatment has to offer. If you review the ingredients in this product you will clearly see that it's less of a "hot oil treatment" so much as it is a "protein hair treatment". It's an apples to oranges comparison at best to try and compare it to a non-protein oil treatment. The worst offense here is poor marketing/labeling of the kind of hair treatment this is.

That said, there are two things to keep in mind. Protein based hair treatments will only prove beneficial to protein deficient hair (and) an excess of protein is not well received by any hair type period (this means you CAN overdo it, regardless of your existing hair type and you should not treat your hair more then the enclosed instructions suggest. This is one instance where more isn't necessarily better). If you have hair that is protein deficient to begin with, you should find that this product leaves you with stronger, healthier, more resilient hair and if you have hair that isn't protein deficient, you're likely to have the adverse affect of dry, brittle, straw-like hair that is prone to tangles, matts and breakage. This has very little to do with your diet, more to do with the molecular makeup of your hair, and is really beyond your control. While it's not a perfect science, people who have very fine hair (different from thin or thinning hair) generally have hair that will respond well to protein supplemented products and those who have coarser hair will find that they respond poorly to protein supplemented hair products. Coarser hair often does a well enough job at retaining protein to begin with.

If you wind up with stiff, dry, coarse or brittle hair after using this kind of product, that should act as a big red flag that you should avoid protein based hair treatments altogether. For some women, they equate this 'dryness' factor to be related to 'dry and damaged hair' and find themselves stuck in a downward spiral of trying to treat their hair with.... protein based shampoos and conditioners! If you've been treating your hair well and continue to feel as if it's just damaged beyond repair, do a little research online for protein free shampoos and conditioners and make the switch. You may be pleasantly surprised to find that your hair is perfectly healthy but has simply been a victim of protein overload. If your hair feels 'crunchy' from protein overload, it just needs time to get rid of its residue and you can expect to feel your hair to return to it's silky softness in about 2 to 4 weeks of avoiding protein based products (if it doesn't, then maybe your hair really is just f*d. - sorry..)

All in all, this product works exceptionally well on my baby fine hair of which I have lots of. What I like most about the packaging is that I can control how much of the product I use as opposed to the old school 'single application tubes' it was once sold in. I have near waist long hair and even then, I find that one bottle lasts me more then just four applications. You don't need much to make it work and combing it 'gently' through your hair with a wide toothed comb will ensure even distribution. I purposely avoid protein supplemented shampoos and conditioners because through personal experience, I've learned that the best balance for me has been to utilize a protein supplemented treatment weekly with non-protein based hair products on a regular basis (utilizing both protein treatments and shampoos/conditioners makes my hair crunchy and using no treatments but washing daily with protein based shampoos and conditioners isn't enough to keep my hair manageable). It all comes down to what works best for your hair type as there's no one size fits all solution, but understanding that protein vs. moisture will yield different results for different hair types should help you move in the right direction.

If anyone would like to learn more about my personal hair care regimine, please feel free to contact me, I'd be more then happy to help :). For the record, I'm multi-ethnic (half asian/half caucasian) with full but baby fine, straight hair. Good luck!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2009 6:41:00 AM More reviews by fkngabi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this once a week and it seems to help my hair a lot, it made it shinier and softer. Make sure to leave it on only for a minute

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2009 7:56:00 PM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm not sure why I even bought this in the first place. I was actually looking for shampoo when I saw this and picked it up. The bottle contains 4 weekly applications. I didn't really notice a drastic difference. Nothing to be excited about. It may have been my fault though. I have very long hair and only used 1/4 of the bottle. I guess for $3.00 it'd be worth it to try again.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2008 2:21:00 PM More reviews by ilovemakeup2

I was almost thisclose to not purchasing this because of the bad reviews. However, I found this for $3 on sale at Walgreens and decided to give it a try. I AM SO HAPPY I DID. I color my naturally black hair to a dark brown on a normal basis, every six weeks to be exact. It is thick, very long, and has been getting frizzier, and drier with time. Enter split ends. I also use a blowdryer and straightening iron every other day. My HG shampoo and conditioner combination is Biolage Sleek Look Shampoo (heavy and very moisturizing) and Biolage Detangling Solution. (light and moisturizing). The heavy and light combination is perfection. Anyways, I've been in need of a boost lately due to some dryness with Winter being here and all and tried this stuff! It's great and I'm believing that the TRICK is to only keep it on anywhere between 30 seconds and a minute. Others have said the same thing and it's written right on the box to keep it on ONLY a minute. Also, it says the warmth from the shower will heat it up but I decided to run it unter HOT water before using it just to help it out. I noticed a difference immediately upon putting it in my hair and rinsing. I then shampoo'd and conditioned like normal. Combing my wet hair was a breeze! After half air drying my hair and half blow drying it, it felt much silkier. It happened to be a rainy day and my hair didn't frizz at all! Used in combination of Paul Michell's Shine Serum after my hair was dry and straightened. Love this stuff and will continue to buy in the future! It's worth a try and it's cheap so why not?!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2008 7:07:00 PM More reviews by layzeex

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I used this hot oil treatment by itself, I felt no difference on my hair whatsoever. However, when I combined this with my TiGi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor, I had FANTASTIC results! It left my hair smooth, frizz-free, and very manageable. So yes, I would repurchase again, but only when used in combination with a mask or conditioning treatment.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2008 6:03:00 AM More reviews by AxlsRose

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This product really works for me. I notice that it makes my hair more manageable, less fuzzy and smooth. Furthermore, it's a cheap product that you can buy in supermarkets or similar.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/31/2007 1:14:00 AM More reviews by janeofthejungle

didn't really do anything...
and i love anything in a small bottle...

but really... might as well use olive oil and a shower cap... same price better results..